"Windows does not shut down Properly"

Reaction score
Hi People,
I am a new user to the site and hope to learn something as I move from XP3 to Win7 64Bit ie9 on a z14 Dell Ultrabook. I do remember using DOS for Dummies and typing on a 286 12 MHz, 64 MB HD used computer?

I have a problem (natch). No matter if I shut down using sleep, hybernate, or the power button, when I turn it on I get "windows did not shut down properly" and several options. I choose "start normally" and everything is O.K. Clues: After the unit is off and silent, I unplug the dell battery. This should disconnect the only change made: adding an APC-UPS 550G to quard against the lightning we get in FL. I was hoping someone has a solution? thanks all, Paul123

Side Comment to Ian: I hope this was the correct place and format to post as I could not find another relevent thread.

Reaction score
Have you tried to repair your system using system recovery options? If not, you need to press & hold f8 keys just after starting the system and choose option 'Startup Repair'. Windows will automatically do the rest and show you the relevant errors, if any.

If the error still persists, you need to set BIOS settings to default to clear out CMOS memory. Then shut down your PC and remove it from the power outlet.

Please share how your problem goes.

Regards,
Oliver

Ask a Question