SOLVED Windows cannot install to this disk(installing Windows 7 Ultimate)

Reaction score
I bought a new hard drive from my laptop because my last one well broke.
I have a new Windows 7 Ultimate disk and I am trying to install it however I can't.

I am using a
HP Pavilion g4

I get a warning icon that say: Windows cannot install to this disk. (show details)
Windows cannot install to this disk. This computer 's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIO menu.

So I read it and go huh lol..
So I just click next hoping something will save me.

New warning icon:(erm) Setup was unable to create a new system partition. See the setup logs for more information.

So I try something:
I click on "New" and set it to 100000mb and I get an error
Failed to create a new partition on the selected unused space [Error: 0x8007045d]

Okay.. So I ignore that and try something new....

"Load Driver"
and I get...
To install the device driver needed to access your hard drive, insert the installation media containing the driver files, and then click OK.

Note: The installation disk can be a floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive.

umm
okay
huh..
Help please.

Reaction score
check bios to see if it shows in there. if it allows you to, move cd rom to top so it can boot off of it. if not buy a external cd rom drive and try booting from it. in bios your cd rom is your booting device to install the dvd.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
A simpler way to do this is go into the BIOS and set your CD/DVD drive as the "First Boot Device" then you should have no problems.

Reaction score
check bios to see if it shows in there. if it allows you to, move cd rom to top so it can boot off of it. if not buy a external cd rom drive and try booting from it. in bios your cd rom is your booting device to install the dvd.
HUH? ... my unit is a laptop. plus atm short on cash to buy an external

A simpler way to do this is go into the BIOS and set your CD/DVD drive as the "First Boot Device" then you should have no problems.
Still same issues

Reaction score
could be defective drive, cause if your cd/dvd rom is listed as boot device in bios, when you turn it on it will run bios check, you should hear your fan come on fast, then it will ask you to press any key, a progress bar will be at bottom. afterwards it will ask for country, and i forget other screen, then will come up with disk partitioning. if none of that is coming up. then its not booting from cd/dvd rom. check in windows compatable cd/dvd rom list on microsoft to see if yours is listed, if it isnt then its not compatable and you need to install a new one that is. if it is compatable contact HP for assistant.

Reaction score
could be defective drive, cause if your cd/dvd rom is listed as boot device in bios, when you turn it on it will run bios check, you should hear your fan come on fast, then it will ask you to press any key, a progress bar will be at bottom. afterwards it will ask for country, and i forget other screen, then will come up with disk partitioning. if none of that is coming up. then its not booting from cd/dvd rom. check in windows compatable cd/dvd rom list on microsoft to see if yours is listed, if it isnt then its not compatable and you need to install a new one that is. if it is compatable contact HP for assistant.
dvd/cd rom unit works, and did a memory test(thru bios) on hard drive(works)...

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Questions ...

Is it a "new" new hard drive or just new to this computer. If it ever had linux on it then you will need grub to remove the linux partitioning first to restore the drive to an unformatted state.

Also, how big is this new HD? 2TB or more? because that requires special drivers that wouldn't be on the W7 DVD. Tell us the Make/model of the HD if you would please.

Reaction score
plus what type of win7 ultimate, a full version of 32 bit or 64 bit, or is it a upgrade dvd. upgrade dvd's wont install on a empty hard drive. theres no files on it to use.
you need more than 100,000 mb, mine is over 500,000mb. its a 148gb hard drive.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
upgrade dvd's wont install on a empty hard drive. theres no files on it to use.
If you have an upgrade DVD it can be installed on an empty HD but it may require a dual install (quite simply, you may have to run the install twice to make it work)

Reaction score
really sounds like a defective hard drive, the place he bought it at could be like fry's electronics, put defective merchandise back on shelf at a mark down price.
need more info though, what type is it. like is it a solid state.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yeah, "is it SSD?" is a good question because that usually requires a special install procedure.

Reaction score
Questions ...

Is it a "new" new hard drive or just new to this computer. If it ever had linux on it then you will need grub to remove the linux partitioning first to restore the drive to an unformatted state.

Also, how big is this new HD? 2TB or more? because that requires special drivers that wouldn't be on the W7 DVD. Tell us the Make/model of the HD if you would please.
new to this laptop.

Don't know about if it had linux on it or not

HITACHI
HHD: 5K250-120
MODEL: HTS542512K9SA00 5400RPM
120GB SATA

OS DISK: WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE (FULL VERSIONx64)

LAPTOP SPECS:
Notebook Model: HP Pavilion g4 Notebook PC
Product Number: LF153UA#ABA
System Board ID: 165c
Warranty Start Date: 05/11/2011
Processor Type: AMD Athlon{tm} II P360
Dual-Core Processor
Processor Speed: 2300MHz
Total Memory: 4096 MB
BIOS Version F.33
BIOS Vendor: Insyde
Serial Number: CNF1182J5H
UUID Number: 434E4631-3138-324A-3548-98-4BE1C8C7DA
Product Configuration ID: 0592100002204610000620100
System Board CT Number: PBWUH011Z088K0
Factory Installed OS: Win 7

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Boot from your Windows 7 DVD, select your language and then to choose the repair option. At the repair option you should choose the command prompt and use the command:
bootsect /nt60 C:
Source

Then exit.

Try again to install from the DVD.

NOTE: As Nibs mentioned, the DVD-Rom drive MUST be the first boot device and you must have a bootable W7 DVD in that drive immediately when the computer is turned on. If the hard drive gets read on boot-up then it is not set correctly.

Reaction score
Source

Then exit.

Try again to install from the DVD.

NOTE: As Nibs mentioned, the DVD-Rom drive MUST be the first boot device and you must have a bootable W7 DVD in that drive immediately when the computer is turned on. If the hard drive gets read on boot-up then it is not set correctly.
Tried this..

However I am still having the same issues....

Could it be: That I need a driver?

"Load Driver"
and I get...
To install the device driver needed to access your hard drive, insert the installation media containing the driver files, and then click OK.

Note: The installation disk can be a floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Umm I overlooked something..

IDisk 0: Unallocated Space (Total Size)111.8GB (Free Space)11.8GB

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It's possible; above when we asked if it was a Solid State Drive (SSD) that was because they DO usually need a driver. Do you perhaps have your BIOS set to treat it as a RAID drive, because if so you may need RAID drivers (though if you only have that one drive it would probably be best to just turn off RAID).

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I was typing while you added that last tidbit. OK your drive needs partitions dropped and reallocated as one big partition. Hang on and I will find the commands to do that and then you will do that same place you did bootsect /nt60 C:.

Reaction score
I was typing while you added that last tidbit. OK your drive needs partitions dropped and reallocated as one big partition. Hang on and I will find the commands to do that and then you will do that same place you did bootsect /nt60 C:.
lol, okay.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Boot from your Windows 7 DVD, select your language and then to choose the repair option. At the repair option you should choose the command prompt.
  1. Type:

diskpart
  2. At the DISKPART prompt, type:

list disk

Make note of the disk number of the disk from which you want to delete the partition.
  3. At the DISKPART prompt, type:

select diskn

Select the disk n from which you want to delete the partition.
  4. At the DISKPART prompt, type:

list partition

Make note of the number of the partition that you want to delete.
  5. At the DISKPART prompt, type:

select partitionn

Select the partition n that you want to delete.
  6. At the DISKPART prompt, type:

delete partition

If you drop the little partition then "I believe" W7 install will see an unformatted drive and do what it needs. So drop the partition & try the install yet again and post the results.

Source: Microsoft Technet.

Reaction score
Type:

diskpart

At the DISKPART prompt, type:

list disk

Make note of the disk number of the disk from which you want to delete the partition.

select diskn

Select the disk n from which you want to delete the partition.

list partition

got to that point and it said

There are no partitions on this disk to show.

Ask a Question