Windows 7 Startup Disk

Reaction score
After all your help with regards to dual booting or clean install I would like to know if Windows 7 help you make a start up disk at all or do you have to make one in which case what files will be needed to put on?

Ken

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean by a startup disk, Ken? Do you mean a backup disk, so that you can restore your PC if something goes wrong?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'll create a full article for this next week, but if you type "backup" in to the start menu search, then click "backup and restore" you will see an option for "create a system image" on the right hand side.

Following that wizard will allow you to create a complete system backup which you can restore your PC from should something go wrong. Just be sure to update this regularly :)

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Windows 7 can make its own system repair disk which is essentially a CD-bootable version of Windows that just includes the command prompt and a suite of system tools. Just type system repair disk in the Start Menu search box, and Windows 7 will show you the utility.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I'll create a full article for this next week, but if you type "backup" in to the start menu search, then click "backup and restore" you will see an option for "create a system image" on the right hand side.

Following that wizard will allow you to create a complete system backup which you can restore your PC from should something go wrong. Just be sure to update this regularly :)
Just a word of caution there Ian. I am a great backup nerd. But it is wise to make sure you do not erase the original, or at worse, a very (100%) reliable image. It is so easy to make a subsequent image which will include any faults/problems encountered. Space these days is not a problem for most. I normally have two or three dated images on my computer, but always have 1. The original, barebones, installation image and 2. The image of the installation and all my regular, configured, software.
I do use Acronis, but that is off topic. I find, if anything is in the smallest way suspect, it is quicker to replace the image than start fault finding (Takes about 15 to 20 minutes to restore 21 gbs.). Of course, there are many reasons why a user would want to find the fault first.

Reaction score
I normally have two or three dated images on my computer, but always have 1. The original, barebones, installation image and 2. The image of the installation and all my regular, configured, software.
You and I see eye to eye here.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Just a word of caution there Ian. I am a great backup nerd. But it is wise to make sure you do not erase the original, or at worse, a very (100%) reliable image. It is so easy to make a subsequent image which will include any faults/problems encountered. Space these days is not a problem for most. I normally have two or three dated images on my computer, but always have 1. The original, barebones, installation image and 2. The image of the installation and all my regular, configured, software.
I do use Acronis, but that is off topic. I find, if anything is in the smallest way suspect, it is quicker to replace the image than start fault finding (Takes about 15 to 20 minutes to restore 21 gbs.). Of course, there are many reasons why a user would want to find the fault first.
Yep, I'll agree with that one - it's better to have more than one backup in case there is a problem. :)

I'm also a big fan of Acronis and use that myself. The original poster may be able to get this for free by reading this thread : https://www.w7forums.com/backup-you-hard-drive-acronis-t1489.html :D

Reaction score
MS says "disc" not "disk"

Windows 7 can make its own system repair disk which is essentially a CD-bootable version of Windows that just includes the command prompt and a suite of system tools. Just type system repair disk in the Start Menu search box, and Windows 7 will show you the utility.
Actually, if you type "system repair disk" you won't get any results. Microsoft insists on calling it a disc (with a "C"). You're OK if you just type "system repair dis." Apparently the boys in WA can't make Win 7 smart enough to figure out alternate spellings.

Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean by a startup disk, Ken? Do you mean a backup disk, so that you can restore your PC if something goes wrong?
I want to have a disk so that I can start over just like when my pc was new been have ing a lot of problems with my pc so was talk this was the way to go. Hope he was right.

Reaction score
when you fist get your pc they tell you to make a disk, so that if anything happens you can use the disk to reset your pc. I am sorry about not tell just what I need every one has been so helpfull thanks to all. I hope this will clear up my mistake.. Ken

Reaction score
when you fist get your pc they tell you to make a disk, so that if anything happens you can use the disk to reset your pc. I am sorry about not tell just what I need every one has been so helpfull thanks to all. I hope this will clear up my mistake.. Ken
:confused::eek: I am using a Toshiba Satellite Vision amd with windows 7 do you need more than that I can look and see what is say on the bottom if that would help.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You have to create a Restore Disc the first time you boot many laptops but once you have been using your laptop for a while then it is no longer in an unaltered state. To get a restore disk if you didn't burn one when you were instructed, you need to contact the laptop manufacturer and buy one.

Reaction score
I want to have a disk so that I can start over just like when my pc was new been have ing a lot of problems with my pc so was talk this was the way to go. Hope he was right.
A system Restore would do the job,but you has to have a restore point. But there is an unfixed bug(untill now) in windows 7 which deletes all the restore points on reboot.
Some say defragmenting the HDD will fix the problem but not for me.

A repair install using the windows 7 dvd will fix most of the problems and keep most of the softwares and setting.

https://www.w7forums.com/repair-install-t1204.html

Try this for reactivating windows 7 after reinstallation
https://www.w7forums.com/backup-win...ens-files-advanced-tokens-manager-t12723.html

Ask a Question