Windows 7 sleep mode doesn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
For some reason when I try to put my computer in to sleep mode using Windows 7, it doesn't resume. The only way I can get my PC to turn back on is by switching it off then on using the power switch on the PSU.

I've send in a feedback report to MS about this, so I hope they can figure out what it is. For now I just need to power off instead.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
In device manager or power options (I can't remember which), tell Windows 7 not to disable USB when in sleep mode. I had this same problem in Vista with my USB keyboard/mouse, so it might be worth trying.

Reaction score
If that doesn't work, take a look in your BIOS for the suspend ACPI options. There are different modes called and it's usually set to "S1 and S3", try changing it to just "S3" and see if that works.

S3 is the standby/sleep only mode :)

Reaction score
I had the same problem with windows 7. It was being caused by my graphics card. I have a EVGA graqphics card installed which has 1GB of resident memory. Also make sure your cmos ACPI is set to S3. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Setting to S3 mode only and enabling some option around posting VGA memory on sleep\resume seems to have helped. Tried changing USB settings, sleep timers in power options but neither helped. I have ASUS P5K EPU with latest 0604 BIOS.

Reaction score
I had to set my CMOS ACPI to S1 to get my system to sleep properly. If I set it to S3, the system would go into sleep mode, but never come out.

Reaction score
Win7 64bit sleep

Had this problem too.. try this worked for me..
Device Manager/ Keyboard/HID Keyboard Device/ Power Management/ untick "Allow this device to wake computer"
My Problem was the wireless Keyboard USB conn.. wireless mouse USB conn. I put with adapter in the PS/2 slot...
Luck:)

Reaction score
Turn off hibernate mode to solve windows 7 sleep mode issue
Control panel-->Power options-->change when computer sleep--> advanced power settings and set the following options
+Sleep
Allow hybrid Sleep > Turn off
Allow wake timers > turn on/turn off try both settings

+USB
USB selective suspend > Turn on

Reaction score
Hi

I have found the same problem with this board.
I went back and installed xp and had the same result.
It seems that this motherboard de-powers the serial ports in sleep mode hence with no volts there is no way a keyboard can generate a wake up call.

kevin

Reaction score
Sleep Mode/ Hibernate Issues-Please help me!!

Please help me someone!! I have called Hewlett-Packard support 5 times now, no one seems to know what to do. When I leave my computer go into sleep mode on its own, I can not get it to come out. I can see my desktop picture and hear itunes playing in the background, but I can not see ANY icons. The icons never return. I have to turn the computer off with the power button. I returned one computer to HP already, this is my second one that does this. It has to be Windows 7 since others seem to have similar issues. I am sick of this and need expert help (you guys, not HP's support).

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi computer idiot & welcome to Windows 7 Forums

Can you not just disable sleep ?

Reaction score
Hi computer idiot - Welcome to w7forums

Think of it this way, your computer has a power supply inside and has a maximum rating. This rating can be anywhere in a range of 200W to 1500W. Keep in mind your system will only draw what it needs at that time regardless of the maximum specification on the power supply. 200W is about equal to using 3 60W light bulbs. 1500W is about equal to using 25 60W light bulbs.

Sleep mode turns off most of the equipment allowing your computer to use less power. If you turn off sleep mode (which I have done) your computer equipment will stay turned on and use power from the supply.

Reaction score
Hi computer idiot & welcome to Windows 7 Forums

Can you not just disable sleep ?
Yes, I had the same problem as Computer Idiot, when either my display or computer went to sleep.

I am turning those power saving options "off" for now.

Control Panel-> System and Security -> Power Options -> Select Balanced -> Change Plan Settings

Set "Turn off the display" to Never
Set "Put the computer to sleep" to Never

Wait for Windows 7 SP1.

Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's the problem or not - but some PCs have an option in the BIOS to re-POST the video BIOS after waking up from sleep mode. You might try going into the BIOS and turning the option on, if it's there (and turned off). Based on what I've read here, it almost seems like the video board isn't wanting to wake up with the rest of the system. Anyway, on my machine the option is under Advanced Power Management Features in the system BIOS Setup - I believe it's called "POST Video BIOS on Resume". It might not have any effect at all, but it seems like it'd be worth a try.

@computer idiot: Like clifford_cooley says, your PC will only use as much power as it needs. Sleep mode does conserve a lot of power - but only when it's activated. It won't have any effect on your power usage while you're actively using the system. I use sleep mode a lot because the PC comes back up a lot faster than from a full shutdown. Also, with my UPS, my PC will run for days off the UPS if it's just sitting in sleep mode - versus about 30 minutes in full-on mode. So, I've got my system set to automatically enter sleep mode in the event of a power failure, which gives me time to get my generator fired up and stuff, and I don't worry about losing data, or something not saving correctly using a forced shutdown (the other alternative.) Anyway, in most people's cases, you're probably best off doing what others here have recommended - just shut it down when not in use.

Reaction score
i would like to use sleep mode but now only the monitors go off. I have adjusted the settings: monitor off in 5 minutes and hard drive in 10.
The monitors go off but not the computer.
please also send answer to : (e-mail address removed) if possible
thanks

Reaction score
Please help me someone!! I have called Hewlett-Packard support 5 times now, no one seems to know what to do. When I leave my computer go into sleep mode on its own, I can not get it to come out. I can see my desktop picture and hear itunes playing in the background, but I can not see ANY icons. The icons never return. I have to turn the computer off with the power button. I returned one computer to HP already, this is my second one that does this. It has to be Windows 7 since others seem to have similar issues. I am sick of this and need expert help (you guys, not HP's support).
I fixed this problem by changing the blue monitor plug in back of computer to the port beside the USB's. I understand this by passes the graphics card.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I had the very same problem with my Dell Latitude C640. The "sleep" function was in the menu, but grayed over. A free trip to Driver Max fixed that problem and updated four drivers, too. It's worth a try, if you've done everything else that you can think of. Be sure to create a restore point before downloading & installing anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question