Windows 7 Safe mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Does Windows 7 have a safe mode? I tried the F8 route but it still booted in the regular Windows 7.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the hotkey would be if F8 doesn't work, but you should be able to use msconfig to access safe mode. Run "msconfig" from the start/run menu, click the boot tab, choose safe mode boot then click OK and restart :)

Reaction score
I was hitting F5 & F8 last night and got the all the usual options for booting - Safe mode, Safe mode with networking etc etc etc!

It it wasn't F8 then it must be F5!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
This thread gets quite a few visits via google, so I've created a small article explaining how to access Safe Mode here:

https://www.w7forums.com/safe-mode-t1497.html

Edit added the l to htm making html, now the link works. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Windows 7 startup and safe mode

Hi, just to let you know that the above link to thread discussion on safe mode problems, does not work.

I didn't think my PC had a problem, I just wished to start it in Safe Mode to do a thorough virus scan. I could not do so using F8, and when looking at forums to find out why, I see there is a small window of opportunity before the windows logo appears and starts - unfortunately, for some reason my screen is completely blank until the Windows 7 blue screen appears with the dove, and then my log-in. I don't get anything else before that, nothing loading, nada. But it starts fine.
I remember when I installed Windows 7 (legal copy) that I DID have the normal 'windows starting' screen and logo - I don't know why it is not showing now! This seems to be my problem starting in Safe Mode, it is difficult to judge the window of opportunity when your screen is blank. Apparently you can use msconfig to reboot in safe mode, but some forums advise against this because malware can use this to keep you in a loop that cannot start..... I am worried now that I have a malware that's stopping me from entering safe mode....

Any advice from the more knowledgeable ? Sorry to babble on, I suppose I need to know why I am not getting the windows logo starting and is it safe to use msconfig in this case, to boot it in safe mode. Thanks.

Reaction score
Thanks for fixing the link, hope it will help someone else - unfortunately I don't get the bios menu (or anything else) and still cannot get into safe mode.
Thinking about this, would having a wireless keyboard have anything to do with this problem? Maybe, although I am pressing F8, it might not be recognised (I don't know how quickly it starts to work from powering up PC?)
But, then again, when I press F8 before a certain point the screen freezes and I have to press Alt/Ctrl/Del to reboot.....

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi Pedro

Thinking about this, would having a wireless keyboard have anything to do with this problem? Maybe, although I am pressing F8, it might not be recognised
This is also sometimes the case with some USB Keyboards, can you try a wired Keyboard.

Reaction score
Just tried with USB keyboard. I could hear the F8 key being recognised and tried continuously pressing from reboot, but still the same blank screen (slightly dark blue) brief flash of black screen and freezes till I press alt/ctrl/del. I let it startup normally the 2nd time, but then realised that I had no mouse because keyboard AND mouse are wireless! So put back in wireless stick and rebooted (2 keyboards now) and pressed F8 to try again. This time, after a long wait, I got the please wait loading line and I thought it was going into safe mode. But no, it went into Windows Recovery! Ran diagnostics, which was all ok, and it asked that if any recent hardware was loaded to take it off and reboot - obviously didn't like the 2 keyboards.
I gave up with trying to get safe mode, as if I leave it alone the system starts ok........ a virus scan was clear, so seems like all is fine.
Why I don't get any bios settings or windows icon at startup, I don't know? Anyone else bothered to even think about it, I would be interested to hear theories... thanks for listening.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
You can use msconfig > boot tab > safe boot (and make sure the radio button below is set to “Minimal”). this will take you to the options of safe mode

Reaction score
If you log on to windows and type msconfig in the run or search boxes you get the windows config console. In the console there is a check box under the Boot tab for a safe boot, that should get you into safe mode on the next restart. Other than that F8 is the only real way to get into Safe Mode that I know.

Edit Veedaz ninja posted me! >-<

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Sometimes, continuously holding down the F8 key won't won't work.

I have found it works best if you just press the F8 key about twice a second during POST and you'll get there!

Reaction score
Cannot start my windows 7 in safe more or use recovery function, help

hello,

i cannot start my windows 7 in safe more or use recovery function, what can i do ?

problem happened after windows 7 update, then after restart windows defender asked me to restart again, and then blue screen or auto restart forever.

i would like to disable or uninstall windows defender as i can access the command prompt but i can't find how to do ?

And do you know how to uninstall windows latest update with command prompt ?

Thanks for help.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you have a W7 install disc or created the recovery CD then put that in and boot with it.

Reaction score
I had the same problem. I got it to work by pressing F8 repeatedly and rapidly while it booted up. I think you just have to press it at the exact right time on some systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question