Windows 7 Not Genuine

Reaction score
I have recently installed what I believed to be a legitimate copy of Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade. I now know that this is a counterfit copy which really upsets me but I must confess it is my own fault for taking the word of a stranger that it was genuine. My question is if I purchase a retail copy of Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade and do a custom install will it work ok? Thanks for any assistance...Dave

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Did your purchase come in a authentic M$ retail box and discs?

Did you have a C.O.A. label attached? (Certificate Of Authenticity)

Exactly how was this sold to you?

Your least expensive route is to buy the OEM version, it's around $200 for an OEM version. Do you REALLY need Ultimate? Most who think they need Ultimate find Pro works just fine or even Home Premium.

Yes a Genuine version will work okay for you once you do a clean install and use the genuine product key.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I have recently installed what I believed to be a legitimate copy of Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade. I now know that this is a counterfit copy which really upsets me but I must confess it is my own fault for taking the word of a stranger that it was genuine. My question is if I purchase a retail copy of Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade and do a custom install will it work ok? Thanks for any assistance...Dave
tveezz, welcome to the fourms! Looks like you got burned. What you can do is contact Microsoft, they assist victims of counterfeit Windows products, provided you cooperate with them. You can buy a retail copy and install it and should have no trouble, as long as you buy from reliable sources (ie. Microsoft Store), the upgrade disc, I have no knowledge about. There is an article on this forum as to how to do it, but unless you are a really technical person, you may want to stick to the full retail version. But before you buy anything, contact Microsoft first, they will help you, so you don't have to pay full price all over again. But you will probably be asked to send the product you bought to them and hand over all of the information that you know, in order to try to catch the crooks. Hope things work out for you, and should you need further assistance, feel free to come back.

Ask a Question