SOLVED Windows 7 is taking up about 70 gig of space

Reaction score
I just installed 32bit windows 7 on my dell dimension 2400 that has 80 gig hard drive and 2 gig of RAM. The only other thing installed is Winzip and Adobe it is showing that it is using 74.4 gig of my C drive. Any suggestions or ideas on something I may have done wrong? Thanks for the help!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yes, W7 is bigger; it takes about 60GB. I suggest you buy a second harddrive for your data. Harddrive prices have dropped significantly and you could add a 500GB drive for under US$50.

Reaction score
Yes, W7 is bigger; it takes about 60GB. I suggest you buy a second harddrive for your data. Harddrive prices have dropped significantly and you could add a 500GB drive for under US$50.
I guess I may have to do that. Man, I really under estimated the size. I was thinking it would be like 5-10GB.. ha! way off.

Thanks for the input!

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Windows 7 32Bit, takes about 17 gbs. 64Bit about 20Gbs. They will vary a little according to how many built in "features" you choose to install, but I would say my figures were max.But, of course, you are going to need a lot of room extra for your own software.

P.S. Sorry sdmnysimon. I was writing this whilst you posted. Good link for the info!

Last edited:
Reaction score
yeah, after searching around other forums and what not, I dont think it should take this much space. I have been hearing more like 15GB range. I mean, it shows it is using 70GB?? That just cant be right

Reaction score
Windows 7 32Bit, takes about 17 gbs. 64Bit about 20Gbs. They will vary a little according to how many built in "features" you choose to install, but I would say my figures were max.But, of course, you are going to need a lot of room extra for your own software.
So any suggestions on changes I can make? Cause right now my hard drive is about maxed out with nothing on it

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
See if you have a folder on the drive called Win.old

Reaction score
I think that is probably right on. Come to think of it, I think I had the same issue when I put Vista on this PC. Thanks again for the help guys! I will look in to that this afternoon.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yeah it looks like my 60 was high. I run W7-64. My windows directory by itself is 19.5GB. If I add the program files I get another 12GB. Then there are the ProgramData and Users folders but not counting personal data it's not 60.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Windows ultimate 64bit. Windows directory 15Gbs.
My Program data and user files come to 3gbs.
Priogram files (64 and 32Bit) come to 3gbs,even with that heavyweight office 2010.!)
The rest is made of my own programs.. You seem to have a heavy overload there somewhere? Maybe you have a lot more programs installed than I. my total is only 28gbs

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I done a clean install of Win 7 Pro SP1 (32 bit) on my notebook two days ago, installed Office 2010 Standard, and about 15 programs, which includes Comodo Internet Security (Premium), within a 40.1GB space on my notebook. 26.4GB is still free on the partition.

So 40.1 - 26.4 = 13.7GB of space that the complete install of 7 Pro took, including programs. The only thing that I need to add is my printer software, which shouldn't take much.

However, I'm sure that had I installed 7 w/o SP1, then updated it, more space would've been used. Somewhere, there has to be an extra folder, and it must be one huge one at that. Hopefully, you'll find it soon. Not having done an upgrade install, I haven't had to deal with that issue.

Sometime, I may install Vista on it, and upgrade it, just for kicks, to see what happens. But I'm sure that I'll need more than 40GB of drive space to accomplish it.:D

Cat

Reaction score
so after deleting the windows.old file, I the hard drive now has 49GB free out of 80. Great tip!

Reaction score
You can check System Restore to aquire more space.
The below may be of some use.
My Digital Life <http://www.mydigitallife.info>
In System Properties’ System Protection tab, there will be a Protection Settings section.
Select a drive and click on Configure button to change the parameters related to System Protection and System Restore.
The Max Usage value can be set to limit the maximum amount of disk space System Protection (System Restore) can use.
Current disk space usage information is shown as a guideline, and old restore points will be deleted as allocated space is depleted to make room for new restore points.

Note that the disk space used for system protection is set in percentage (%), with amount of disk space automatically calculated and shown on screen. Click OK or Apply when new value is set.
It’s also possible to configure whether backup only system settings, previous versions of files, or both, or simply turn off System Protection

There are other options for aquiring more space, such as disabling parts of Indexing.
Running Ccleaner (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner) and Windows 7 "Disc Cleanup".

With a 32bit system and two programs listed, there probable should be more space available. More then what was aquired removing old Windows files.

Ask a Question