Windows 7 is Fastest-selling OS in History, Microsoft Posts Huge Earnings

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score

Jason Mick - January 29, 2010 9:32 AM

Windows 7 marked a complete turn around for the company

Microsoft is all grins and cheers after posting record earnings, fueled by the fastest operating system sales in history (Windows 7). (Source: Gearfuse)

A year ago Microsoft was struggling. The world's largest software firm had built up a massive user base, but it was losing their respect. Its current (at the time) operating system Windows Vista brought many innovations, but also frustrations that led to an icy public reception. So Microsoft decided to do something unprecedented -- it would allow the public to try its latest version of Windows, and then take their advice and use it to produce something people could truly get excited about.

That gamble paid off handsomely and it reversed the fortunes of struggling Microsoft, returning it to dynamic growth. Windows 7 launched in October of last year and proved a commercial smash. All the Apple commercials in the world couldn't damper the public enthusiasm about the new operating systems. And Microsoft stepped up its own populist ads featuring average Joes and Janes experiencing (or suggesting) the improvements, fueling further growth.

Now Microsoft's brand image is at a new high and Microsoft just reported its best quarter in its history. Microsoft reports a net revenue of $19.02B USD, a 14 percent increase from the previous year. Microsoft also reported operating income, net income and diluted earnings per share of $8.51B USD, $6.66B USD and $0.74 USD per share, up 43 percent, 60 percent and 57 percent, respectively from a year ago. The revenue was boosted by $1.71B USD in deferred revenue on Windows 7 preorders, among other things.

The key factors in Microsoft's rejuvenation were Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2.

Since October 22, Microsoft sold 60 million Windows 7 licenses, the fastest sales pace of any operating system in Microsoft history -- or world history for that matter.

Peter Klein, chief financial officer at Microsoft comments, "Exceptional demand for Windows 7 led to the positive top-line growth for the company. Our continuing commitment to managing costs allowed us to drive earnings performance ahead of the revenue growth."

Kevin Turner, chief operating officer at Microsoft adds, "This is a record quarter for Windows units. We are thrilled by the consumer reception to Windows 7 and by business enthusiasm to adopt Windows 7."

Looking ahead Microsoft does have some key areas it needs to improve on. Currently its phone offerings are in shambles (though a surprise early release of Windows Mobile 7 could change that) and its search business still trails Google, despite recent gains. Still, Windows 7 has been such a huge hit, even if all of Microsoft's other units fail to post gains, the company will still be in pretty good shape. Windows 7 has truly delivered Microsoft a comeback for the ages.

Microsoft stock opened slightly up this morning on the good news, opening at $29.89 a share, about 2 percent up. Since it has slid slightly to about $29.29 a share.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
This is a major milestone for us. Back in November, when I first began using Windows 7, I made a post on Tom's Computing Net called "Windows 7 is the Best". I got rode like a dog, about 40 some posts putting Windows 7 down. Most were saying it would never succeed. But it did, and is thriving. By this time next year, XP should be taking a knee, like the last play of an unmeaningful football game.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I also told them in my original post that they would be flooded with requests for help, most disagreed. Well, I checked last night and was proven to be right, there are thousands of requests for help. So I made one last post to the thread, telling them that I told them so. There's still a lot of Win 95,98,Me,Win2K and XP users on that forum. But back to the original post by Nibiru2012, the smiles are just beginning. I'm positive that Bill Gates is proud of the great corporation that he built, and Microsoft will be here for decades, if not centuries to come.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I'm positive that Bill Gates is proud of the great corporation that he built, and Microsoft will be here for decades, if not centuries to come.
This will be true as long as they continue to develop OS's with the help of their customers and never go back to the route they took with Vista

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I believe that Microsoft has learned from their previous mistakes. Most likely, all new OS's will be put to the test, long before the final product is delivered. I don't believe this philosophy that many have assumed. That every other Microsoft's OS's will be a flop. They have no reason to rush out a new OS anymore. It is said that 2012 will be the year of the next Windows, but if it's not ready, they won't force it. With firm control of 92% of the world's computing population, Microsoft will not be intimidated by Apple, Google or (sic) Linux.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
For me, I just got bored with XP and Windows7 cured that. I skipped Vista so it's all new to me. I've used the Beta and RC and was sold instantly. Keep in mind I'm running it on 2 puters, an old P4 and a slightly newer PC with a Celeron processor. Runs flawlessly on both.

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
I have one word. *ahem*

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I hope Microsoft's next OS is put to the public to test as Windows 7 was because its the public who will be purchasing .... or not.

Reaction score
I hope Microsoft's next OS is put to the public to test as Windows 7 was because its the public who will be purchasing .... or not.
That is exactly what sold me on the OS. Windows 7 is the first OS I have ever purchased on the Release Date. This is due to the fact that I knew it would run smoothly on my machine.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I have one word. *ahem*

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BetaMan - Tell us how you REALLY feel! LOL :)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
It is my hope that ALL future Windows OS's will be released this way, because WE will be the ones who will have to run it.............or stick with Windows 7. Unless there are major changes for the better, which would be hard to do with what we have now, I'll try the new OS out, but will most likely stick with Windows 7, as I did with XP over Vista, and move forward with the release after that. By that time, it will be time for a new PC. But, if BitLocker is included with the home versions of Windows 8, I will strongly consider going for it. Like I said, a major change for the better will have to be there.

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
Yeah, I think it was the open Beta and RCs that made it sell so fast. There had to be a lot of consumer-based advertising in order to do anything, because of the mistake that was Vista. Ick, we should use "Vista" as a swear word now.

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
In retrospect, I am glad I did not have vista, jumped from XP to win7 and never looked back... R.I.P. XP

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
In retrospect, I am glad I did not have vista, jumped from XP to win7 and never looked back... R.I.P. XP
I dabbled with Vista, did not like it at all, went back to XP Pro and once Windows 7 came out, asta la vista XP!

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
I have the same story as Kalario. I had XP for the longest time, then found out about Vista and saw a few screenshots and was amazed. I really really wanted it. I became obsessed, and people kept saying it was horrible. My logic back then was something like, "How could something look that awesome and be horrible?!". Then my friend emails me and tells me about Windows 7. I had heard of it. But then he mentioned the Beta and I was on it before you could say "BetaMan". I loved it. Very recently, I went to Hawaii (it was awesome) and the only computer available had Vista on it. I figured it couldn't be too bad. After that week, I really understand how horrible Vista is. Compared to anything else. :D Well now we all have 7 and we're happy!

Reaction score
Yeah, I think it was the open Beta and RCs that made it sell so fast. There had to be a lot of consumer-based advertising in order to do anything, because of the mistake that was Vista. Ick, we should use "Vista" as a swear word now.[/QUOTE]

Hahaha A swear word! I like that, seems appropriate. Oh VISTA! LOL

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
"Oh VISTA! My CPU overheated!" "Oh VISTA! I got BSOD'D again!" (or Rick Rolled).

Oh guys, on another note, check this out!
[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]1rHceul_3U8[/MEDIA]"]Bill Gates Announces Windows 8[/ame]

Last edited:

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
Hmm... I Rickrolled you guys...

Wikipedia Article:
Rickrolling is an Internet meme[1][2] typically involving the music video for the 1987 Rick Astley song "Never Gonna Give You Up". The meme is a bait and switch: a person provides a web link that they claim is relevant to the topic at hand, but the link actually takes the user to the Astley video. The URL can be masked or obfuscated in some manner so that the user cannot determine the true destination of the link without clicking. When a person clicks on the link and is led to the web page, he or she is said to have been "Rickrolled". The song may have been favored for this use by those regarding it as the worst[3] popular song of all time.

Ask a Question