Windows 7 installation of Coreldraw X5 issue ...

Reaction score
Have Windows7 Pro 64-bit and tried to install the trial version of Coreldraw x5 but after downloading and attempting the install, it stopped, reporting the following error ...

Reported it to Corel who responded with a suggested list of actions which I've studiously carried out ! Tried again and got the same result.

Have even created a new user account and tried again, and still get the same reported error message.

Has anyone else come up against this 'brick wall' as I can't figure out what's wrong ?!?!?!?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you go to that folder does the msi installer actually exist? Is the file found? You did say it's a beta, It is possible their installer has an error.

When you started the installer did you use the "run as administrator" option? If not please try that. In the Setup.exe (or whatever they call it) right-click & pick Run as Administrator.

Reaction score
If you go to that folder does the msi installer actually exist? Is the file found? You did say it's a beta, It is possible their installer has an error.

When you started the installer did you use the "run as administrator" option? If not please try that. In the Setup.exe (or whatever they call it) right-click & pick Run as Administrator.
Hi,
I didn't say it was a beta ... I said it was a trial version of the full software ...

Code:
http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/gb/en/Content/1152796555406
The msi installer does exist; it appears that the file is found during the install process and yes, I did run the set up as an administrator. I even tried using the properties tab on the file to "run it in compatability mode for XP too" but that didn't help either.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Trial, Beta, even production installers aren't always perfect. I was just saying it is possible the error was at their end. That's why I wanted you to actually check that the file C:\Users\Jeff\AppData\Local\Temp\CorelDraw Graphics Suite X5\15.1.0.588\CGS15\Setup.msi is actually sitting there.

When you created the new user and tried to install, did the error message folder change to "Secondary" rather than "Jeff" ?

In your picture I can only see the users but it doesn't expand down to AppData, then Local, then Temp, etc all the way down the folder tree so I just wanted to know you actually verified the folders and file is down there.

Any way, couple other ideas ...

How about lowering UAC and trying again? Go to Control Panel \ User Accounts ... Select Change User Account Control settings ... set it to notify never.

OR, I don't know if you would like it or not. In your user\jeff you notice that little lock and basically W7 doesn't want you in there by default but there is a script you can run to grant yourself full administrator rights to all folders under there. Basically you install the Take Ownership Script and then you go to C:\Users and you right-click on Jeff and choose "Take Ownership". A script will run, depending on how many subfolders are under there I have seen it run 15 minutes or more but when it's done you will have full rights to all folders under there.

Reaction score
Trial, Beta, even production installers aren't always perfect. I was just saying it is possible the error was at their end. That's why I wanted you to actually check that the file C:\Users\Jeff\AppData\Local\Temp\CorelDraw Graphics Suite X5\15.1.0.588\CGS15\Setup.msi is actually sitting there.

When you created the new user and tried to install, did the error message folder change to "Secondary" rather than "Jeff" ?

In your picture I can only see the users but it doesn't expand down to AppData, then Local, then Temp, etc all the way down the folder tree so I just wanted to know you actually verified the folders and file is down there.

Any way, couple other ideas ...

How about lowering UAC and trying again? Go to Control Panel \ User Accounts ... Select Change User Account Control settings ... set it to notify never.

OR, I don't know if you would like it or not. In your user\jeff you notice that little lock and basically W7 doesn't want you in there by default but there is a script you can run to grant yourself full administrator rights to all folders under there. Basically you install the Take Ownership Script and then you go to C:\Users and you right-click on Jeff and choose "Take Ownership". A script will run, depending on how many subfolders are under there I have seen it run 15 minutes or more but when it's done you will have full rights to all folders under there.
Greeetings,
Wasn't 'having a go at you' for the beta comment ... just trying to make sure there was no misunderstandings.
When I switched to the 'Secondary' account, u r right ... the paths were identical apart from the user account (sustitute Secondary for Jeff and visa versa) but the result was identical, so, yes they did switch in essence.
Already tried the UAC 'thing' by setting it to the lowest level (at the bottom... never).
Well, as we all know, Mr Gates ain't perfect nor are his products ... so the application of a little science (or script) may at times prove to be beneficial ;-) LOL ... so, I'll give it a whirl ... and report back

Ask a Question