Windows 7 Install Problem

Reaction score
I have been trying to install Windows 7 on a new computer I am building, I get up to where you click "Install now" then I can't go any further because a message pops up saying:

"No device drivers were found. Make sure that the installation media contains the correct drivers, and then click OK."

It is a legitimate copy straight out the case it came in, it is on all new parts except the DVD drive which is from an old Dell computer. Any suggestions on what I can do or what is causing this?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
How many drives do you have connected to the motherboard? Windows 7 will usually install where there is only one hard drive connected.

Is the DVD drive setup to run as the First Boot Device in the system BIOS? That is neccessary when doing a clean or custom install.

Give us more info please. :)

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Where is the install media located? I looks like the install program is having a problem relocating the original install package. Partially failing DVD drive?

Try this. If you have a separate partition, and have some other means of reading the media on the computer, dump the whole DVD contents on to a folder. Call it Setup, for example. Then try and run the install from there.

Reaction score
Yes there is just a 1TB Seagate hard drive connected via a SATA cable (I think that is the name of it), no other hard drives are connected. The disc drive is first on the boot priority in the BIOS. It is a fresh install there is not any previous operating systems on there. The disc drive is pretty old and connected by an IDE cable.

I cant get to any further point in the installation, i click on install now, it will start to load the setup then come up with the error message then I can't go any further.

Davehc I can try putting a different disc drive in if you think that might help? Or is there any way of installing off a USB hard drive maybe?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Make sure your DVD drive is set as the first boot device in the BIOS, then put in the install DVD and save your BIOS settings and reboot the computer. The install should then begin automatically.

Ask a Question