Windows 7 image creation

Reaction score
I have a new system install and used Windows backup to create an image (on a USB external hard drive) of the secure partition and the system partition (C:\) these are selected by default. After two hours the progress bar is at about 40%. This is with the Panda Security shutdown.

I abandoned this image and created another image using a bootable Acronis CD. The time taken was 45 minutes.

There is something seriously wrong with the active Windows method. Either it is a crippled product, because the windows drivers should enable good hard drive throughput. Alternately Panda has some effect even when closed.

This windows performance is just not acceptable.

System details: Laptop Acer Aspire 5542 4GB memory 500Gb HD with factory install of Windows 7 64b
Software added since install: Network Activity indicator by Igor (in Startup)
Ccleaner, Incredimail and Panda (not yet activated).
Trial Office 97 and McAfee removed.

A second windows image has been attempted and was abandoned at at 50% after 4 hours. Does not compare well with the Acronis image time.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Hi David, when I bought my desktop last November, I had trouble with backup, it hung about where yours do. There were file system problems. I went into recovery mode and reinstalled my OS, and there were no more problems. I contacted HP prior to doing this to find an answer, but no luck. So I decided to reinstall myself, and I was glad I did. Apparently, the OEM's load the OS, and if it boots, then all is fine. So you may want to try that, if Windows backup doesn't work, there's a problem somewhere, and it worked for me. Should you need further assistance, post back at anytime.

Reaction score
Hi David, when I bought my desktop last November, I had trouble with backup, it hung about where yours do. There were file system problems. I went into recovery mode and reinstalled my OS, and there were no more problems. I contacted HP prior to doing this to find an answer, but no luck. So I decided to reinstall myself, and I was glad I did. Apparently, the OEM's load the OS, and if it boots, then all is fine. So you may want to try that, if Windows backup doesn't work, there's a problem somewhere, and it worked for me. Should you need further assistance, post back at anytime.
Many thanks for your input. Unfortunately the image creation does not hang , just is continuously SLOW. This followed a fresh factory install, it is of reduced benefit to do a factory install when trying to image a system that is setup with apps, so I have resorted to Acronis.

I had an input from a Microsoft forum stating that windows backup is very basic and this could explain the slow speed. This I find hard to accept because I have used the same backup on another computer and did not notice any problem in creation of an image or restoring.

A puzzle!!!

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Acronis True Image Home is an excellent program, to say the least

I have been using Macrium Reflect Free for over 6 weeks now and it is very fast and works great. I backed up my C drive with about 20 GB of used space in 4:57!

Try it, you may like it better than Acronis.

Reaction score

I have been using Macrium Reflect Free for over 6 weeks now and it is very fast and works great. I backed up my C drive with about 20 GB of used space in 4:57!

Thanks for the tip. Will investigate.
davmax

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Many thanks for your input. Unfortunately the image creation does not hang , just is continuously SLOW. This followed a fresh factory install, it is of reduced benefit to do a factory install when trying to image a system that is setup with apps, so I have resorted to Acronis.

I had an input from a Microsoft forum stating that windows backup is very basic and this could explain the slow speed. This I find hard to accept because I have used the same backup on another computer and did not notice any problem in creation of an image or restoring.

A puzzle!!!
Yes, that is a puzzle, because after reloading my OS, it works normally. Takes about 20 minutes to backup 60GB of files. And recovers form the backup well also. I'm checking out the solution that Nibiru2012 offered, Macrium Reflect. It's much faster than the Windows Backup. I really needed it for XP Pro, and that's what I'm testing it on, as XP has a sorry backup program. There's nothing wrong with Acronis, that I've heard, although I've never used it. My internet friend Leo Notenboom pushes it on his column, Leo's Answers.

Reaction score

Have downloaded and installed Macrium, BUT their web site is down. This means the program will not register and is not accessible. Hope they are still in business.

davmax

Reaction score
The website is back now, I just double-checked it.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp
Yes Thanks. They came back online. I have now tested on my desktop to compare with Acronis.

Macrium times with a17.5GB Windows 7 image: eSATA = 4 min USB2 = 6 min.
Acronis with a 15GB Windows XP image: eSATA = 4 min USB2 = 6.5 min

Macrium records the actual image creation time Acronis does not, it has to be timed externally.

Clearly Macrium has a huge advantage being free if you only want to create images.

If Macrium Full version is purchased with a similar capability as found in Acronis there is also a price advantage.

Macrium $39.95 Acronis $49.99

Ask a Question