Windows 7 Freezes

Reaction score
Hi, I recently purchased a new laptop with Windws 7 but it is constantly freezing, sometings after 5 minutes sometimes after a a few hours, I have to switch off the laptop as nothing works and retart. i don't know if its the laptop or windows 7. Can anyone please help. Thanks:confused:

Here are the details of my laptop;
Product Features

• Intel Celeron Dual Core (T3100) 1.9GHz Processor
  • 3072MB (1 x 1024MB + 1 x 2048MB) Memory
  • 250GB Hard Drive
  • 15.6 inch High Definition HP Brightview Display
  • Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
  • A unique Imprint design in a glossy black finish
  • 5-in-1 integrated Digital Media Reader
  • LightScribe Super Multi DVD Writer
  • Webcam with Integrated Microphone
  • Full size keyboard with integrated numeric keypad
Technical Details

Operating system: Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
Processor: Intel Celeron DualCore Mobile Processor T3100 1.9 GHz, Level 2 cache 1 MB
Memory: 3072 MB (1 x 1024 MB + 1 x 2048 MB), supports up to 8 GB DDR2 memory
Storage: 250 GB SATA Hard Disk Drive 5400 rpm, up to 12 GB partition for system recovery
LightScribe Super Multi DVD Writer (+/-R +/-RW) with Double Layer support, SATA optical drive - Create silkscreen-quality disc labels direct from your PC with LightScribe: Just burn, flip, burn
5-in-1 integrated Digital Media Reader for Secure Digital cards, MultiMedia cards, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, or xD Picture cards
Communication: Integrated 10/100BASE-T Ethernet LAN 802.11 b/g WLAN
Webcam with Integrated Microphone
Display: 15.6 inch Diagonal High Definition HP Brightview Display
Display Resolution: 1366 x 768
Video: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD, up to 1309 MB Total Available Graphics Memory
Sound: Altec Lansing speakers
Keyboard: Full size keyboard with integrated numeric keypad, Touch Pad with On/Off button and dedicated vertical Scroll Up/Down pad
Ports: 3 USB 2.0 (3rd shared with eSATA port), 1 HDMI connector,1 eSATA+USB, 1 VGA port, 1 RJ45 ethernet connector, 1 headphone-out, 1 mic-in
Power: 65 W AC Power Adapter, 6-cell Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion) battery
Software: Microsoft Works and Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 (60-Day Trial Version Microsoft Internet Explorer), Windows Live Messenger, Adobe Reader, Adobe Flash Player, HP Total Care Setup, HP Total Care Advisor, Cyberlink DVD Suite, Cyberlink YouCam, Windows Media Center, Windows Photo Gallery, Windows Mail, Norton Online Backup (30-day trial)
Recovery partition (including possibility to recover system, applications and drivers separately), optional re-allocation of recovery partition, recovery CD/DVD creation tool
Symantec Norton Internet Security 2009 (60 days live update)
Notebook Help & Support
Additional information: P/N: VJ374EA #ABU, UPC/EAN code: 884962359204
Weight: Out of Package: 2.68 kg, Packed: 4.03 kg (Weight will vary by configuration)
Dimensions 37.8 cm (L) x 25.2 cm (W) x 3.51 cm (min H) / 4.12 (max H)

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Overheating?

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi easter

I recently purchased a new laptop
As your Laptop will be under guarantee i would take it back and tell the supplier you want a replacement (and tell them you will accept something (eg) - software for your trouble) for a new Laptop loaded with Windows 7 something is way wrong,

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
Yes, I would advise taking it back, as it is probably be overheating,

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
HP laptops have a high problem rate right out of the box for some reason.

It's too bad, they need to improve their QC.

Also you did a double posting... I've done that before. ;-)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Based on your description, I noticed that that the issue can occur due to hardware or software conflictions. Let us try the steps below to narrow down the cause of the issue. Please check if we can boot in Win7 normally:
Device Clean Boot
==============
In this situation, your system will only have the basic hardware devices and it should be more stable. If it is inconvenient to unplug the devices, we can disable them in Device Manager. Please refer to the following steps:

1. Click "Start", type "DEVMGMT.MSC" in the Search textbox and press Enter.
2. Expand "Sound, video and game controllers".
3. Right click on your Sound Card, select "Properties"
4. Click "Driver" tab, click Disable (Disable the selected device). Click OK
5. Please use the same method to disable other hardware such as: Modem, network card, CD-R drive. Please note some devices such as video adapter are not available to be disabled.
6. Please restart the computer. Can we boot in Win7 properly?
Clean Boot
==================
1. Click the Start Button, type MSCONFIG in the Search Bar and Press Enter to start the System Configuration Utility.
Note: Please click the Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.
2. Click the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click Disable All (if it is not gray).
3. Click the Startup tab, click Disable All and click OK.
4. Restart the computer and test the result.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
Note: Clean Boot is just a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can enable them later on. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click OK.
To restore the computer to use a Normal Startup, repeat step 1 above. Then click "Normal Startup" on the General tab, click "OK", and then restart the computer.

I hope we can fix this issue together as soon as possible. :) Don't Forget to said to me Thanks.

Reaction score
Why does my computer keep freezing up?, is a very frustrating cry from people who face this problem. Frustration or irritation rises because they could be in the middle of some important work on the computer, and suddenly the machine comes to a standstill. There is no other option left, but to restart the computer and start the work from scratch. If your computer keeps freezing up by itself, causes could be numerous. Some usual causes along with their solutions are discussed below.

Causes For Computer to Freeze Up by Itself

If your desktop computer or laptop computer keeps freezing up frequently or on any random occasion, the cause could be any of the reasons given below:
Some kind of virus present in the system affecting its performance
The computer lacks enough sources to function well
Issues with the computer hardware compatibility
System configuration is inadequate to run the program or application you are trying to run
When there are compatibility issues with the software you are trying to run on the computer
The page file might be getting stuck in the cache for a significant time
There is very little free memory space on the computer
Solutions to Prevent Computer From Freezing Randomly

Possible solutions you can try out if your computer keeps freezing up randomly:

Virus Check
The foremost thing you should do when your computer keeps on freezing up by itself, is to run an anti-virus application, which will help you in identifying and deleting viruses from the computer. The anti-virus software you would be running should be an updated copy and not an outdated version, as the latter won't prove effective. These updates are easily available on the manufacturer's website and can be downloaded for free. If you don't have an anti-virus software installed in your computer, use any free web-based anti-virus software available on the internet (generally not recommended).

Spyware Check
Other than computer virus, there could also be unwanted spyware or ad-ware present in the system, which could be the reason if your computer keeps freezing randomly. Hence, it is essential to run a spyware removal tool, to delete the troublesome spyware from the system. The spyware removal tool can either be downloaded for free from the net, or be bought from a local software store.

Computer Memory Check
In case the Random Access Memory (RAM) is defective, there are chances that due to this your computer keeps on freezing frequently. Run a quick memory check with the help of a relevant software from the internet. If needed, try reinstalling or replacing the RAM.

Go Through Recently Installed Items
There are chances of your computer not having the correct configuration needed to run some software or support certain hardware devices. To ensure this is not the case, uninstall and remove all recently installed software or hardware devices. Check whether you are still facing the same problem. In case your computer still keeps freezing up, it is because of a different reason. It is safe to reinstall deleted software on to the system.

Check for Excess Heating
Sometimes the fan(s) responsible for keeping the CPU cool render faulty, thereby resulting in your computer freezing randomly on its own. Dust gathers on these fans due to which their ability to keep the system cool also suffers. Try cleaning these fans or if necessary, replace them.

Check the Hard Disk
The minimum free space on the hard disk should be equal to 20% of the total available space in the C drive. In case this drive is cluttered and does not have enough free space, it could be the reason why your computer keeps freezing up for a few seconds after start up. Perform a hard disk check, by right clicking on 'My Computer' icon, and clicking - Tools → Check Disk Options → Check Now → Yes. After the computer restarts, the 'check' will run and try fixing few hard disk issues by itself. Also run the 'disk defragmenter' application, from the 'system tools' option present in the accessories menu list. This will allow you to utilize available space on the disk in the best possible manner and enhance the computer's performance. Learn how to defrag a computer.

Update Your System
At times, the computer keeps on freezing after startup, in case you are still using redundant versions of some software. Keep your operating system up-to-date by downloading and installing necessary drives from the internet. Doing this regularly will ensure optimum performance of the system and also keep a few other computer problems at bay. Please Rate on Me if my Advice was help you thanks.

Ask a Question