Windows 7 Enterprise - questions

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I'm on the second download of Enterprise, one for my laptop (32 bit), one for my desktop (64 bit). Has anyone had any installation issues with it? It would certainly be an upgrade for my laptop, my desktop has Pro already. It will be supported until year's end, although I'll have Ultimate long before then. The main thing I want to know, is it a decent OS, and has anyone had problems with this OS?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
The real question is: Do you really need the extra few features of Ultimate/Enterprise?

They're basically the same edition; one for consumers, the other for business/corporate use.

From Paul Thurrott's Supersite For Windows:

As was the case with Windows Vista, Windows 7 Ultimate is the "uber" product edition, and the one that includes every single Windows 7 feature. Compared to Windows 7 Professional, however, there are only a few key functional differences that apply to individuals, making this a pretty uninteresting upgrade.

Windows 7 Ultimate provides support for the BitLocker and BitLocker To Go drive encryption technologies, the latter of which would arguably be quite useful to virtually anyone. But that's about it. The other features that are unique to Windows 7 Ultimate (and Enterprise) are really geared towards Microsoft's managed corporate customers. None are particularly interesting or relevant to individuals.

I recommend Windows 7 Ultimate only in those instances where the price is very compelling: I'm told that PC makers will periodically offer Windows 7 Ultimate at a steep discount, and in such a case it might make sense in order to get BitLocker To Go. If you can live without that however--perhaps by using a third party disk encryption tool, then you can safely ignore Windows 7 Ultimate. There's just not much to recommend it.

Go here to read more about what REALLY are the differences amongst the Windows 7 editions.
How to choose a product edition

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
The Bit Locker function makes Ultimate worth it. Plus, I'll soon have access to it anyway, so why not use the best? I'm currently using Enterprise on my laptop right now, but I'll probably wait until I get that membership to change my desktop. This system is a good one, it's good that I don't speak all of those languages. When I checked Windows Update and saw 50+ updates, I said, What the hell? Then I noticed all of those tounges. I'll probably run into the same with Ultimate. But I'm glad this version is free, looking at the Start Menu, it looks no better than Pro, no wonder they're giving it away for free until the end of the year. It really should cost no more than Pro does. And one other thing to keep in mind. If anyone is looking for an excuse NOT to upgrade to 7, if only until the end of the year, there's no more excuses. It's FREE until 12/31/2010

Last edited:
Reaction score
Enterprise is free to give network administrators time to test remote installation and mass deployment in a lab environment with that edition's VLK licensing.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
They didn't give me a license, in fact, I didn't even have to enter a key for installation. It's been validated twice, once when installing MSE, once when downloading XP Mode. I've had no problem with it. It's a decent OS, too.

Reaction score
They didn't give me a license, in fact, I didn't even have to enter a key for installation. It's been validated twice, once when installing MSE, once when downloading XP Mode. I've had no problem with it. It's a decent OS, too.
Will it 'time expire' at some point or will it continue to work as long as you've kept it installed.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
It was originally a 90 day evaluation, then recently it was extended until 12/31/2010. That was a good thing for them to do, give an extension like that. But, it's a slick way to get the client "hooked" on 7, then whoever it is will most likely buy it, if there's any way they can. A great marketing strategy, indeed. However, at the end of the period, a new version will have to be purchased, and a "custom install" done. You simply can't buy a key, and keep running it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Of course not, as it's a trial.

However the real retail edition of Enterprise uses volume licensing, meaning corporations buy a single key that works for dozens (or hundreds, or thousands) of systems from a licensed broker.

Enterprise is being handed out as a trial so network administrators in an environment positioned to deploy Windows 7 across dozens, or hundreds or thousands of machines have time to freely evaluate deployment in a lab environment.

No company would ever drop thousands on a multi-user license if they weren't absolutely sure it would pan out, which is why Microsoft is giving away a timed trial of Enterprise for free. The cost concern is eliminated when evaluating the OS for purchase.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That's what I figured, well most of it. They get you "hooked" on using it, then they hope to make a sale. Sales was my profession prior to my disability. During my years as a sales manager, I gave away product for a limited amount of time, in order to get the customer to like it, and eventually sign a purchase contract. Nearly 100% of the time, it worked. The same principle, to a degree, applies with this "free" OS. In another month, I won't need it anyway, I just wanted to see what it was, and it's features. For me, not much difference over Pro.

Reaction score
I'm on the second download of Enterprise, one for my laptop (32 bit), one for my desktop (64 bit). Has anyone had any installation issues with it? It would certainly be an upgrade for my laptop, my desktop has Pro already. It will be supported until year's end, although I'll have Ultimate long before then. The main thing I want to know, is it a decent OS, and has anyone had problems with this OS?
eachtime I tried the download stopped at 99% same with office professional 2010 I think it is my download manager it keeps loosing the connection then stop at 99%.
regards
jeffreyobrien

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Jeffrey, are you using IE to download with? Firefox is my preferred browser, but when using TechNet, I always use IE. Try disabling your AV near the end of the download, it may be keeping it from going through. These are long downloads to be stopping at the end like this. What anti-virus do you use?

Reaction score
Catilley,
I am using both fire fox and IE for Microsoft & tech net my AV was Norton 360 but I soon downloaded MSE as I was infected last month and had to do a clean install.I also have malwarebytes like you I am trying it again on my desktop the downloads all start fine but since yesterday downloading (e-mail address removed) has been installed not running though.

I might remove folding software and see if that alters it,I will try turning off AV will let you know thanks catilley
regards
jeffreyobrien

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Jeffrey, you may be running too much at one time for your computer. If I had a large download to do, I'd pause the folding, at least near the end of the download. Does both of your computers act like this? I was thinking that you have more than one. If you do, try it with the other. But I only use IE for TechNet, the download manager only works on IE. FF does have a download manager that you can add on, but I've never messed with it. What OS are you using to do this all with? I certainly hope it's not XP.:eek:

Reaction score
Windows 7 Enterprise

Catilley,
i have this HP new laptop,two other HP Laptops & a,Desktop built by myself I am running w7 ultimate 32bit on the others,this one I have RTM Ultimate x64bit,on this laptop with folding software is Still not up and running so it wouldn't be that.I am trying it again now on the desktop seems to be fast and has just reached 100% Yipee.

I want to install the Office pro 2010,enterprise,on the desktop I only have one old compaq with XP on it which I only ever use for benchmarking,beta software,etc.listen thanks for the heads up.

regards
jeffreyobrien

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Hi Jeffrey,
That Enterprise deal is not really what it's cut out to be. I had it before I became a TechNet member, to me Pro was better. Now Ultimate is the real deal. I like it for BitLocker. That's the only advantage for me over Pro, the rest of the features are different languages. That's all. If I'm not mistaken, that's in Enterprise, too. I still have the DVD's I burned for both of them (32 & 64 bit). You just don't have to enter a key, it's pre-activated. When I downloaded it, I thought I was getting something, but I was wrong. But if you want, you can try it out, too.
Later,
Cat

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Cat - I believe Jeff wants to install the Enterprise version of Office 2010 Professional.

MS makes several versions of Office 2010. The Enterprise version is for companies and corporations.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Sorry, my misunderstanding. I thought Jeffrey was referring to the Windows 7 Enterprise OS. I knew that Office 2010 had different versions, but I must have missed that version. I have Office 2010 Professional Plus, it more than meets my needs. It was the most expensive one (for retail pre-order). That Enterprise stuff doesn't really appeal to me, although I can understand why a user would want this type of software. Hopefully, Jeffrey has it downloaded by now. That can be very frustrating, reaching 99% and the connection breaking, or whatever is happening on his end.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Yes, it is very frustrating to do a DL and have it end at 99% !

He might want to use a download manager program such as Download Accelerator Plus or FlashGet. IDM or Internet Download Manager is a good program too.

All of the above have trial period to them, but they don't restrict any features during the trial periods. So he may want to use one of them, plus they have feature to pause and re-start the DL.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
The program has it's own download manager, but on Windows 7, you have to give it permission to proceed. I've had no problems with it, but you must be using IE for it to work. Firefox has a free download manager, available as an add on, but I've never used it. They also have a video download manger available.

Ask a Question