SOLVED Windows 7 does not boot properly after IE 11 install!!!

Reaction score
Hello, I need urgent help. I did install IE 11 (latest) and after installing and downloding the new stuff, now my Windows does not boot properly.
It tries to enter, but after appears a message saying: "Preparing Windows for boot..." Then the laptop will restart!! It will keep doing this forever...
I am using Windows 7 Ultimate. I cannot boot in any of the Safe Modes possible.
I do have the DVD to re-install. If I continue, will I loose all my files and programs? Please help!!!

Reaction score
Have you tried booting in safe mode? That might at least let you access your important files before you start over. I also might offer some startup repair options.

Reaction score
None of the Safe Boot options work...
Still will continue to restart once the message is shown...

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
When you say you have the DVD to install ... is it a W7 Installation DVD or is it an OEM Restore Disc? IF you have an actual W7 Installation DVD then go to the Installation menu but instead of installing, choose "system repair" in the bottom corner.

BTW: It's very unlikely an IE11 install damaged your computer, but if you got it through Windows Updates then some recommended updates may have also been installed. Recommended updates can include drivers and the wrong driver can easily cause issues with your computer.

Reaction score
Thanks all for your support! Just to go thru this properly...
  1. I did have a Windows DVD with the SAME version of my laptop.
  2. NONE of the evident and usual repairs from this DVD worked!
  3. I was not even able to enter in ANY SAFE MODE AVAILABLE.
  4. The message I get is: "Configuring Windows. Do not turn off your computer". Then the machine keeps re-starting Windows, not letting me in and not completing anything!!
  5. The repair mode from the DVD did not find anything!
  6. Finally, I got this failure by DOWNLOADING THE FREAKING INTERNET EXPLORER 11, because my Bank recommended it!!!
  7. I did download it directly from Windows.com Site.
  8. Please start a Post to warn the users about IE 11!!! They do have a freaking "pre-requisites" page that do not warn you before proceeding with THE INSTALLATION!!!
  9. Finally, before installing anything... ALWAYS BACK UP!!!!!!
  10. I did contacted Microsoft for help in their chat room and they said since my machine is an OEM machine (DELL) I should contact the manufacturer!!! Is there anything worse than that?? They suggested their "premium" service and tried to charge me!!
Thank you guys for the follow up.
I already fix this issue and trying to catch up TWO DAYS OF WORK!!! The only thing that worked for me is in this video link below! Thanks again and be careful with the IE 11 virus!!!!!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
So from the video,are you saying your Regback folder was not empty and your system booted after you copied it? Or did it work after running System Repair?

And your Backups suggestion is always a good idea, we encourage regular Backups, especially before a major update.

juank73 said:
They do have a freaking "pre-requisites" page that do not warn you before proceeding with THE INSTALLATION!!!
Did not warn you about what? We really don't know what happened except that your installation did not complete successfully and you had to recover.

My suggestion would be:
1. that you make sure all the prerequisites have been met
2. run Microsoft Fix-it for Windows Update to make sure your update folders are repaired
3. make a Backup of your system
4. manually select Windows Update to run and select IE11 only (make sure no other updates are included)
5. let us know if the update is successful this time

NOTE: When you accept an OEM license you accepted that Dell provides the support, not Microsoft, so , though frustrating, it is what you agreed to, whether you actually read the license or not.

Reaction score
Thanks Trainable Man! I will try it out.
When I decided to install IE 11, I downloaded the exe file from Windows.com. When the program started, it did not warn me about downloading any update files.

I am going to try your procedure. My laptop is working now.
What worked for me was to follow the procedure in the video. What it does is to copy over the files from the Windows backup (last successfully boot) to the current directory. What the person from the video recommends is that IF FOR WHATEVER REASON the files look empty (at 0 bytes), then do not copy over onto the current files since it will create a worse problem. If everything is OK, all computers should have any value for those files, since they were automatically backed up by Windows.

Once again, thanks for the great support and follow up.

Reaction score
I've had three machines that were giving problems until IE11 was uninstalled. One of which was a booting issue.

Ask a Question