Windows 7 BSOD on Startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Over the past 6 months, including once today (10/23/2011), I have experienced a BSOD during startup. Viewing minidump files with BlueScreenView, the fatal exception varies. However, common in all situations is mcupdate.dll 4 or 5 calls prior.

In all cases, there were update notifications present after the system recovered. I'm suspicious of the update process, but I could really use help pinpointing the problem in the attached minidump file.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

Reaction score
Over the past 6 months, including once today (10/23/2011), I have experienced a BSOD during startup. Viewing minidump files with BlueScreenView, the fatal exception varies. However, common in all situations is mcupdate.dll 4 or 5 calls prior.

In all cases, there were update notifications present after the system recovered. I'm suspicious of the update process, but I could really use help pinpointing the problem in the attached minidump file.

Man, I'm having almost the same problem!

The BSOD is a little ramdom (0x0000E or 0x00024 for example)

What OS do you have, and are you using Daemon Tools on the startup?

Reaction score
I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit) with Service Pack 1 (Build 7601). My computer is a Dell SPS 9100 with an Intel Core i7 CPU 960 running at 3.2 GHz. It has 12 GB of memory.

On a couple of failures, the login process just hung. When I rebooted it, I got the BSOD.

I am running two 1.5 TB disk drives in a RAID 1 configuration. To check this system for disk errors after a BSOD takes 4 or 5 hours. Hence, the issue is quite annoying (to put it mildly).

I am NOT running Daemon Tools on my system.

zigzag3143

Wanikiya
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score

These were caused by a memory exception. Please run these two tests to verify your memory and find which driver is causing the problem.

1-Memtest.

*Download a copy of Memtest86 and burn the ISO to a CD using Iso Recorder or another ISO burning program. http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

*Boot from the CD, and leave it running for at least 5 or 6 passes.

Just remember, any time Memtest reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad motherboard slot.

Test the sticks individually, and if you find a good one, test it in all slots.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/105647-ram-test-memtest86.html

2-Driver verifier

I'd suggest that you first backup your data and then make sure you've got access to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise. Then make a System Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Vista/Win7 Startup Repair feature).

In Windows 7 you can make a Startup Repair disk by going to Start....All Programs...Maintenance...Create a System Repair Disc - with Windows Vista you'll have to use your installation disk or the "Repair your computer" option at the top of the Safe Mode menu .

Then, here's the procedure:
- Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
- Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next"
- Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"
- Select everything EXCEPT FOR "Low Resource Simulation" and click "Next"
- Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
- Select "Finish" on the next page.

Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen. Continue to use your system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do that repeatedly. The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out. If it doesn't crash for you, then let it run for at least 36 hours of continuous operation (an estimate on my part).

If you can't get into Windows because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.
If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from your installation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that you created.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/101379-driver-verifier-enable-disable.html

Reaction score
mcupdate.dll blue screen / please help

For some time now I have been locking up at startup (windows logo, but no rainbow flowing colors). Blue screen says its because of mcupdate,dll. After multiple tries with windows cd and repair option, it finally starts repair, but says it cannot repair and to send data to microsoft. Then it starts up ok. This happens almost every morning. I know this file is from Network Associates (McAfee). The file doesnt even exist in my comp. I deleted all references to McAfee and Network Assoc. After tring the windows repair it says this:
MCUPDATE.DLL
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA ERROR CODE=0X490

I have read everything, McAfee sites as well. I even reinstalled windows 7 but the issue still remains. I am not super literate when it comes to operating systems, but it appears that when starting it looks for this mcupdate.dll and it can’t find it.

How can I repair this. Please help.

Attachments

Reaction score
Guys i'm here... again...

So, the problem persists and now i'm not with daemon tools and SPTD drivers anymore.

I'm sending the minidump again so if anyone can help me, PLEASE, I really don't know what else can it be causing this BSOD. It occurs only, and I say ONLY, on startups.
It is NOT ALL the startups, but ONLY in the process. After the PC has booted up, NO BSOD whatsoever, and no crashes, or ramdom freezes even on very demanding games like Crysis 2, that runs just fine.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

zigzag3143

Wanikiya
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Guys i'm here... again...

So, the problem persists and now i'm not with daemon tools and SPTD drivers anymore.

I'm sending the minidump again so if anyone can help me, PLEASE, I really don't know what else can it be causing this BSOD. It occurs only, and I say ONLY, on startups.
It is NOT ALL the startups, but ONLY in the process. After the PC has booted up, NO BSOD whatsoever, and no crashes, or ramdom freezes even on very demanding games like Crysis 2, that runs just fine.

Thanks for any help!

These crashes were caused by memory corruption. Please run these two tests to verify your memory and find which driver is causing the problem.

1-Memtest.
*Download a copy of Memtest86 and burn the ISO to a CD using Iso Recorder or another ISO burning program. http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

*Boot from the CD, and leave it running for at least 5 or 6 passes.

Just remember, any time Memtest reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad motherboard slot.

Test the sticks individually, and if you find a good one, test it in all slots.

Any errors are indicative of a memory problem.

If a known good stick fails in a motherboard slot it is probably the slot.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/105647-ram-test-memtest86.html

2-Driver verifier

I'd suggest that you first backup your data and then make sure you've got access to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise. Then make a System Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Vista/Win7 Startup Repair feature).

In Windows 7 you can make a Startup Repair disk by going to Start....All Programs...Maintenance...Create a System Repair Disc - with Windows Vista you'll have to use your installation disk or the "Repair your computer" option at the top of the Safe Mode menu .

Then, here's the procedure:
- Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
- Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next"
- Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"
- Select everything EXCEPT FOR "Low Resource Simulation" and click "Next"
- Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
- Select "Finish" on the next page.

Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen. Continue to use your system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do that repeatedly. The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out. If it doesn't crash for you, then let it run for at least 36 hours of continuous operation (an estimate on my part).

If you can't get into Windows because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.
If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from your installation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that you created.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/101379-driver-verifier-enable-disable.html

Reaction score
Ok, I'll do it, but even that way I can't believe in a hardware problem...

If the mem or the mem slots are bad, the BSOD should be happening occasionally at any time not ONLY on the startup.

For the record, I have noticed that this occurs more frequently after Windows updates (at least, seems that way)

zigzag3143

Wanikiya
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Ok, I'll do it, but even that way I can't believe in a hardware problem...

If the mem or the mem slots are bad, the BSOD should be happening occasionally at any time not ONLY on the startup.

For the record, I have noticed that this occurs more frequently after Windows updates (at least, seems that way)
It is doubtful that it is hardware. We are just eliminating the ram as a possible cause.

I suspect it is a driver and verifier will find which

Reaction score
It is doubtful that it is hardware. We are just eliminating the ram as a possible cause.

I suspect it is a driver and verifier will find which
Thanks for the replies! I didn't have time to test yet, cause I cant but as soon as I could, I post my findings

Reaction score
hi dude, i have same problem and try many ways to solve that but failed. at last, i try to remove one of my ram from slot, and my problem solved. have luck dude..!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question