Windows 7 64bit Lockups

Reaction score
Hello,

I am at a loss as to what is causing my PC to lockup. I recently upgraded from XP to Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit and increased to 8GB ram with a new PSU. Quite randomly, usually 5-10 minutes of booting my screen will freeze, my mouse lights turn off, and keyboard is unresponsive. Only way out is to hit the reset button. If there is currently sound playing it will do the machine gun thing as it endlessly loops the last second that was playing at the time. I have given the computer time and it is not a temporary freeze. I have reinstalled Win 7 a few times. I have run memtest for RAM with no problems. I have updated every driver I can think of. I have installed Windows hotfix Fix322397. I do not get BSODs, just lockups. I did not get these lockups with Win XP, just after upgrading to Win 7. Please let me know if you have any insight as to my problem, or if you need more info.

Thanks!

OS
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Original OS XP, but clean install of Win 7 64 Full retail

Most components 2 years old, video card,PSU and ram <1 year

GIGABYTE GA-EP43-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor HH80562PH0568M - OEM
OCZ Platinum 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2P10664GK
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply
MSI N460GTX CYCLONE 1GD5/OC GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Reaction score
I have checked and verified that my power settings are correct, I did not have to change anything, they were already set to 'Never' and 'High Performance.'
Thanks.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Did you check the DIMM settings for the RAM in the BIOS to make sure it's set properly for your RAM?

Do you have your SATA hard drive set for AHCI settings also? That's in the BIOS too.

Reaction score
When I set it to AHCI mode my PC won't finish booting, I get a fast BSOD and immediate restart. It then wants me to load startup recovery which does nothing. I tried starting windows normaly several times with no luck before setting AHCI back to disabled. I am currently trying the RAM timings that are recommended by the manufacturer, 5-6-6-18 @ 2.1v. I will update when I know more.
Thanks.

Reaction score
Ok, the lockups have continued after setting the RAM to what the manufacturer suggested. Until now I had them set as 'Auto' in the BIOS, no tweaking had been done as I am going for stability first. If you think I should change these RAM timings please let me know.
Thanks.

Reaction score
Hi Singineagle, my name is Ryan and I'm with the Windows 7 Outreach team. Have you tried running your computer in XP mode? You could try that and see if these lockups continue. You may also want to try checking out this tutorial video to see if that works. Good luck.

Reaction score
Hi Singineagle, my name is Ryan and I'm with the Windows 7 Outreach team. Have you tried running your computer in XP mode? You could try that and see if these lockups continue. You may also want to try checking out this tutorial video to see if that works. Good luck.
Helo Ryan,
I am unable to use XP mode as I am running Home Premium addition (only available in more expensive versions of Win7). And not sure what your tutorial video was pointing to, but I am unable to access it:
404 - File or directory not found.

The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Any other suggestions?

Reaction score
Hi!
I have the exact same problem:
https://www.w7forums.com/win7-64-freezes-solid-t9686.html

I have reinstalled all drivers, updated bios, nothing.

Corwin728: I don't think that link solves our problem, since my comp lets me log in, works fine for some time (worked 2 days with no freeze now), then freezes all of a sudden. (Which it did a few minutes ago.)

A hardcore 3D game (GTA4) didn't even make it blink. So it is not VGA I think.

Ryan, I'll try the XP mode, and report back.
Hmm, wait a sec, XP mode is basically a virtual machine running an XP? What is the point to this then? I'm still gonna be running a W7, just with an extra layer. ? 0.o

Maybe first I'll try removing my VGA card, and using the integrated video.

Any ideas? What else can I try? This thing is really annoying. Isn't there a good event logger that logs all procedures being called? Maybe that would help investigate the error.

Thanks!
Peter

Reaction score
I have had the same problem , but it only happened after I went from 4 gig of ram to 8. try running 4 and see if it still freezes.

Ask a Question