Windows 7 64 bits and 500 GB iomega HD problem

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

this is my first post here. I have Windows 7 64 bits in a DELL Laptop Latitude E4300 working fine (more or less). I just plugged into it a USB HD from iomega with 500 GB capacity. I can see this disk without problems in all my XP (32 bits) based systems. But not on Windows 7. When I try to open it I get the error message:

Cannot access F:\

The archive is damaged or inaccessible

I know the disk is fine. I have in this very same computer vmware installed with Ubuntu 64 bits where I can mount the HD and see it without problem (?) but not in the host Windows 7 system. I saw a driver installation message the first time I plugged into the laptop on Windows 7 but clearly, this was incorrect.

Should I uninstall the driver and get it from somewhere else other than the default place (which did not seem to work well)?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks !

Valentin

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Valentin, welcome to the forums :)

If you open the "computer management" console (just seach for it on the start menu) and then view Storage > Disk Management, does it show up ok there? Could you post a screenshot of that image for us please?

Are you using any special software from Iomega, as I've not seen the message "The archive is damaged or inaccessible" before. I don't know why it would refer to the drive as an archive.

Reaction score
Hi,

I had the disk connected to Ubuntu in use and only now can I really test it in Windows 7.

The first problem is that I am using Windows 7 in Spanish so the messages I put are my translation of what I really get, so things will not be literal... Sorry.
Things have changed. Now, the device does not show up in the explorer-type window (where one finds C: and other partitions). In the hardware and printer list it shows up as 'Storage' (it should have been called Iomega HDD). I just plugged a 320 GB USB hard disk from FREECOM that is perfectly recognized by the system. The FREECOM driver is Freecom ToughDrive USB Device version 6.1.7600.16385. It works perfect. The Storage (Iomega) driver is ST95 0032 5AS USB Device same version number as before (both from Microsoft). I umounted the disk and uninstalled the driver. Plugged the disk back in and the same driver got installed again and the problem persists.

I have nothing installed from Iomega.

Thanks !!!!

Valentin

Reaction score
An update,

it did not showed up in th explorer-type window because of a
collision with a disk drive letter from my connection at work. I
removed it and now the Iomega is there as Local Disk (H:). Double
clicking on it says again:

Cannot access H:\.

The archive directory is damaged or unreadable

It takes a few seconds to say so while the bar on the top
part of the explorer window is getting green.

In the hardware window is still called 'Storage' with
the same driver.

Thanks again,

Valentin

Reaction score
(New to the forums. Sorry if I'm in the wrong place but)

I have what appears to be a "related" problem:

Running Win7/64bit, both of my iOmega external drives show up (a 500gig and 1.5tb) but I am unable to eject or "unmount" them when I'm finished. The drives just keep spinning, even when Windows tells me that it is "safe to remove" them.

Is there an extra move I need to make to shut down/park the drives before power-off?

Thanks.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
No, once it says "Safe to Remove", then power off your external hard drives and it will be okay.

Reaction score
I am also new, so lets see how this works: - My problem seems related:

Connected IOHD 500MB to HP Pavilion dv3 under win 7 64 bit - drivers installed ok - drive was visible for an instant - then a crash (unexpected system shutdown) - since then: I can not access the drive (drive is ok and runs perfectly on other win 7 64 bit system) - it is not listed at drives C: D: etc - however: computer recognizes HD as external USB Drive - in Geräte und Drucker (devices and printers) and in the Geräte-manager (device manager) - drivers seem to be fine - in computermanagement>discmanagement I also see the drive and it is online
but can not assign a Letter to the drive (which has solved a problem in one of the posts above) but get error > the disc management snap in is not up to date (aktuell) and I should refresh it or restart discmanagement/computer > however this all does not help and I can not assign a Letter for the drive - I'd be glad if you'd have any more suggestions - thanks

Ask a Question