SOLVED win7 genuine appears as non genuine?!

Reaction score
so heres the thing i have my laptop for 3months now and it came with win7 home basic,
weeks after i got a code and i upgraded it to win7 ultimate, 1 month after i got the news that my windows wasn't genuine and i had to do the check, i did the validation and i got the windows back to its genuine state, just now i came back from school and i got the warning saying i had to do the verication again.. and now it says that my key is used on another computer.. and i have the genuine code on the bottom part of my laptop but its the key of HB i wanted to know how i can "downgrade" to home basic without loosing my stuff :s

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Hi Organika.

Where did you get the Ultimate "code" from, a legitimate resource?

You cannot upgrade Windows 7 to a version that is further down the food chain or a minor version. So Ultimate to Home Basic isn't going to work.

A clean install is your only option. Whether this backs up your personal data in a folder called "Windows.old" I couldn't tell you as I've never had to do this myself.

Reaction score
i researched a bitand i went to a microsoft site where i found a key to be able to upgrade to ultimate and at first it was genuine but now it isnt, i reported on the microsoft forums and tey told me to do a scan on my system i did and paste the results and they say that key is blacklisted since march.. then why did microsoft gave it to me?!

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Aah, that key. Yes that was spread all over the internet as get 7 Ultimate for free at the time.

Nearly a year ago that quite rightly got blocked.

I'd recommend you to bite the bullet and re-install your Home Basic. Or purchase the genuine Ultimate key.

Ask a Question