SOLVED Win7 and automatic defrag

Reaction score
I know that Vista has an automatic disk defrag, this led to a lot of redundant HDD usage, causing HDDs to crash, is this still a problem in Win7? Is there a way to switch it off during installation?

Reaction score
yes it does to turn it of click on disk defrag then you will see configure schedule click on that unmark schedule (recomended) then you can do it manualy

Reaction score
Hey bry2go, thanks for your reply.
Any way to change this during the installation itself?

Reaction score
i advice to use any third party degragers instaed of these embended in windows

disltrix defrager is the best solution

Reaction score
I was actually looking for a way to stop defrag.
What is your experience with disltrix defrager?

Reaction score
this lil thing is handy , they do alot efforts with studying and researching to make a complitly diffrent product , not just another one thing

workin fast , real fast , do not hung the system or not hangin itself ( stuck )

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I know that Vista has an automatic disk defrag, this led to a lot of redundant HDD usage, causing HDDs to crash, is this still a problem in Win7? Is there a way to switch it off during installation?
I used Vista right from the early Beta stages, but never encountered this. Nor have I read any reports of it??
With that in mind, I find the Windows 7 defrag works extremely well. As the previous post says, you can turn off the schedule option. I do this as a default. With constant MS updates being placed on my hard drive, there does not appear to be any purpose in having it defrag wekly. I select, manullay, about once a month, after a disk clean up..
You will probably get several suggestions, in this thread, for altrenative defraggers.
The "built in" defragger., (It is actually a separate program) does not have a pretty interface, if you wish to see those meaningless little squares hopping around, but does have features, specificall designed for Vista and 7. One very useful feature is that it operates on low priority, so does not interfere with any work you are doing at the time.

You might find this interesting, before you install a third party program, particularly the para after the graphics, relating to Windows 7.
http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/20...d-engineering-the-windows-7-improvements.aspx

For what its worth. There would be no gain from being able to change the function during the install. It will not be running when you hit the desktop, and, as said, can easily be switched off. If you feel you really can do without it, you can open "services.msc" and switch it off there.

Reaction score
In my view Davehc has it spot on.Windows 7 is not the same as Vista and it is not really necessary to have alternative third party defraggers.Either do it yourself regularly or schedule it once a month.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I should add. (And this is a very personal opinion, I emphasise) that I believe it is a mistake to have the defrag, MS or third party, on a schedule. IUnless you are meticulously clean, almost at the end of every day, you are constantly filling you HD with junk, temp files, cookies - you name it. To defag on a schedule also includes these totally uneeded files. I have a really good delouse about fortnighty, and then defrag.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
My advice is to go with Raxco's PerfectDisk. It's the NUMBER ONE defrag utility on the market and is Microsoft Labs Certified. It's fast and very efficient. It has a "Stealth Patrol" feature which only runs the defrag when necessary.

Check out it's reviews and comments, you won't go wrong believe me!

Good PDF review here: http://www.perfectdisk.com/user_data/white_papers/keydifferentiatorspd_win7.pdf

Last edited:
Reaction score
My choice is O&O Defrag. It can do offline defragmenting. This is important to the file system since the pagefile, registry and MFT gets defragmented too. Every time a file is accessed, the MFT comes into play. If it is all over the drive, you can imagine how your file system suffers. It is basically an index to all the files on the drive.

Ask a Question