Win7 64bit, Asus P6X58D-E & lost internet

Reaction score
I've just built a new machine, and installed Win7. Everything went smoothly and I was automatically connected to the internet (via the motherboards Ethernet connection, and a cable to my router). A day later, I've updated the motherboard bios, installed Anti Virus, Office, and some utilities, and all was still good.

I then installed a couple of Marvel Drviers from the Asus disk (Marvel 9128, Yukon Gigabit Ethernet controller) and following the next reboot, I could not connect to the internet. After allowing Win7 to attempt to fix the problem, and checking my Cat5 cable with my laptop, I decided to do a System Restore to a point before installing the Asus drivfers. This didn't work, so I tried a few more restore points, and none of these fixed the problem either. So with the laptop, I went to the Asus website and downloaded the latest Marvel Yukon Driver, and tried that, but nothing worked.

Eventually I decided to re-install Windows (custom, complete new install). Unlike the first time I installed Win7, the internet did not work at the end of the install, and I have no idea why.

Can anybody help?

Thanks

EDIT - extra notes
Using a command prompt, typing 'ipconfig /all' I get
Host Name........................Mike
Primary Dns Suffix..............
Node Type.........................Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled.............No
WINS Proxy Enabled..........No

Not what I'm used to seeing with XP

Last edited:
Reaction score
1) Boot to safe mode + networking. If it works here, download and install the latest driver from ASUS's site.

2) Reboot and test in normal mode.

3) If you still need help, type the following in a command prompt then press enter:

ipconfig /all

Take a screen shot of this by typing "snipping tool" without the quotes, in the start menu and press enter. Attach the screen shot to a post.

Also, you should reboot your router and/or try resetting it to factory settings, if needed to try.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply
1) I'll try safe mode + networking (don't think it'll work)
Regardless, I can install the latest drivers from Asus, as I can download them with other machine - but I've tried that with the Marvel Yukon driver - is it a different driver I want?
3) I've done that with ipconfig /all - I typed my info above (no IP numbers at all, ie, no 192.168.0.1 etc)

Do I need to reboot the router, since it's working with my laptop?

Thanks

EDIT - one thing I've noticed, is in the Bios, under Tools, one line is "AI NET 2"
which is Lan Cable Status - this was set to disabled, and I just tried (in vein) enabling it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Note - I can't see anything related to a Network in Device Manager, it doesn't seem to recognise the port at all.

Ok, I've booted into safe mode with networking, and was still unable to connect to the router (or internet)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Go in the bios settings and make sure that the onboard lan is enabled. Save after making any changes.

The update you applied for the bios probably turned it off.

Reaction score
If only it was that simple.

The internet worked fine after the bios update, it was later when installing the marvel drivers that the problem started (unless the marvel drvier changed the Bios). When I found the Lan setting in the Bios, it was for Lan 2 (I switched it to enabled, and saved). I since found a setting for Lan (1), but that was already enabled.

It does feel like a Bios problem, because it seems the software (Win7) is completely unaware that I even have a Lan port.

Thank you for helping, I appreciate it. I'm really quite stuck.

Reaction score
Oh dear, something is very wrong. I can't even load the bios now.

Can I reset the motherboard? I've taken the battery out, do I need to do anything else?

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Try waiting 15 minutes, then replace the battery.

Reaction score
Thanks - I didn't see that post til now, I must have waited 5 mins or so, and success.

Bios working, booted to Windows 7, and setup internet connection without a problem.

So I'm assuming that one of the drivers I loaded from the Asus MB disk caused the problem. I'm thinking of loading them now, 1 at a time (rebooting between) to see if I can re-create the problem. The last thing I need is this happening in the future, after I've loaded a lot onto the system.

2 questions:
Should I update the Bios to the latest? The MB manual says not to, but overclocking guides tell you to (I plan to overclock once everything is stable).

Is there a reason not to load the utilities that came with the MB? Things like USB3 & SATA 3 support, which seem like a good idea.

Thanks for the help, I was starting to panic.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Glad you're back on track. I would enable those 2 features and see if alls well.

You could try oc with current BIOS. See how far you can take it. :D

Reaction score
2 questions:
Should I update the Bios to the latest? The MB manual says not to, but overclocking guides tell you to (I plan to overclock once everything is stable).
Glad you're back on track. I would enable those 2 features and see if alls well.

You could try oc with current BIOS. See how far you can take it. :D
Well it turns out (to this newbie) that removing the battery from the MB fixes the problem, and leaves the Bios at the last version, so it is still on version 0303.

I've installed my anit V, and run Win7 update, and all is well. I will now try the Asus utilities, and I expect it to go wrong.

Ask a Question