Win 7 64-bit freezes when streaming / moives from Harddrive...plz help

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I really need some help, because i am inches away throwing my PC out from my 5th floor.

You can see my specs lower down.

I know there is many treads that has freezing problems but i really don't see any solution for my problem.

In the beginning (first 2 weeks) there was not really a issue, maybe because i didn't see any streaming or watched a movie.

Today its like nearly 2 months ago i purchased my PC.

I don't recall when it started but it all started when i streamed a movie or watched it from my Hard drive.

and sometimes it happens when watching a DVD-disc

Its very randomly when it freezes...

I don't use my PC to multitask when doing something... i.e. when i stream then i only stream, i don't download or surf the net.

even when watching a movie from the hard drive, i don't multitask.

I am never sure when it will suddenly freeze the whole computer, the mouse and even the digital timer on my keyboard freezes.

Rarely i have seen the that the voice stops working and the movis keeps going on and the mouse is still active, but i can't activate anything with the mouse or close the movie.

and also rarely i have seen that everything freezes except the mouse then after 30 - 45 seconds later then the mouse freezes too.

Many times i could see a whole movie without it freezing or stream 2 series of 45 mins (total 1½hours)...

But now its just gets worse and worse...

now sometimes it freezes after 15 mins and after rebooting (by pressing the button on the PC)

and i can start again where i left on the movie or stream then 5-10 mins BAM..it freezes again.

Sometimes i have to reboot my pc like 3 times less then 1 hour and other times it takes longer time before it freezes.

Many times i get tired of rebooting then i just start a PC-game and i never experienced any freezes when playing COD MW2 on high graphic details.

But yesterday for the first time my Game freezes. I had to reboot like 3 times in 1½ hours of gaming.

Its like the same when streaming it freezes all the computer, even the digital timer/mouse.

Can somebody plz tell me a solution for my problem...

and i know it won't help just re-installing because i have read about 15 different treads and all still have the problem.

It must be something that is conflicting in one of the softwares...

Plz help me and others that is having the same problem...

and sorry for the grammar or mis-spell (English is my second tongue)

Specs:
Win 7 64-bit
Intel i7 920 (average heat is about 30 - 31 degrees)
eVGA x58 Sli LE
eVGA Nvidia GTX 295
OCZ 6GB RAM (triple channel)
Kingston SSD 60 GB (primary) WE 7200 Sata 500 GB (secondary)
Sound card Creative X-fi Fatality
power supply ZALMAN 850W

mouse Logitech G9
Keyboard Logitech G15

Last edited:
Reaction score
Win7 64 Bit is not stable. IMO you can't do much
Wait for someone who knows maybe what should u do answers this.
I need help about this too
In couple days I want to buy 64Bit Win 7, so you get my point why I want to know about this

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
what codecs have you installed?
what drivers do you use for video/sound?
have you applied WindowsUpdate patches?
have you tested the memory sticks for issues?
you say you purchased the pc so i am assuming this isn't a custom machine that you built yourself...if you've done any work inside, open her up and make sure everything's sitting in nice and tight...

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Win7 64 Bit is not stable. IMO you can't do much
Wait for someone who knows maybe what should u do answers this.
I need help about this too
In couple days I want to buy 64Bit Win 7, so you get my point why I want to know about this
While there are many threads on this forum and others about there 64 bit computers "freezing", I can say that mine doesn't. I've had it four months now, I did replace my RAM, went from 2 to 4GB. The main reason for that was overall performance, and I make extensive use of VM's. A 64 bit computer with 2GB RAM can't run a VM without problems. I watch lots of video and news clips, and the only time that I had audio/video breakup was when I had Verizon Wireless a my ISP. Too slow for watching anything over 10 seconds long. But that had nothing to do with my computer being 64 bit. And some of these threads regarding purchasing a new computer and it "freezes", why don't they simply carry the product to be exchanged? A computer is like any other purchase, it has a warranty. If it freezes, it's defective somewhere, and the OEM is required to make it right. And if I were to buy one in that condition, a forum would be the last place on my list to visit. I'd be calling whoever sold me that lemon, and if they gave me the runaround, either my credit card issuer or PayPal (whichever I use) will make it right. There are millions of 64 bit computers sold each year. The number of complaints are small in comparison to the units sold, otherwise the OEM's would stop production of them. Don't allow a tiny number of complaints stop you from moving forward. And too, unless you buy second hand, or are lucky enough to find a overstock somewhere, 64 bit is all that's on the shelves. Unless you're looking for a netbook.

Last edited:
Reaction score
what codecs have you installed?
what drivers do you use for video/sound?
have you applied WindowsUpdate patches?
have you tested the memory sticks for issues?
you say you purchased the pc so i am assuming this isn't a custom machine that you built yourself...if you've done any work inside, open her up and make sure everything's sitting in nice and tight...
I have the Creative x-fi Fatality sound card which is upto date with the drivers.

so is the gtx 295 video card got the latest driver.

All windows patches uploaded.

I always use the Media classic player (K-lite mega pack) to see movies from the harddrive

It can't be the memory issues because then it will be constant freezing..

Sorry i meant new as Custom build. (all the parts are new and collected by a expert)

and yes she is nice and tight... all day :D

Reaction score
My first guess goes to an overheating or otherwise faulty graphics card, as this appears to happen only in situations when the GPU is being used.

My second guess goes to the service .dll's that deal with the graphics handling between software, operating system, and the graphics drivers.

Did you come across any other complaints and issues from people with the same graphics card?

Also: mega-codec packs are bad news. They've been causing problems and mysterious crashes since the dawn of humanity (and by that I mean since about 2001, which is when I stopped using mega-packs).

Try completely uninstalling your codec pack and all video players, and then try playing the same video's with a self-contained player, like VLC or Media Player Classic - Home Cinema (both contain their own codecs, and generally run with out even having to be installed).

If your machine is still under warranty, I would opt for replacement, just on the off chance that it is a faulty hardware. You don't want to spend the rest of your time owning the machine doing roundabout fixes to problems that keep popping up due to a faulty hardware that you're reluctant to replace because it's expensive... It's better to be on the safe side with hardware.

Ask a Question