Win 7 32 bit and torrent

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am trying to use a Torrent downloader with my windows 7, 32 Bit pro, and think it doesn't work because torrent is meant for 64 bit....

I've tried Deluge and FinallTorrent, but Deluge just doesn't work, and FinalTorrent wants me to join some membership before it will work.

Any help here is really appreciated!

Thanks,

JAN

(Johnnny's Atomic Notebook) that is LAME!

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
AtomicNotebook, welcome to the forum!

Have you tried uTorrent, a smaller program of this sort, it works quite well on every computer that I've installed it on. Even 32 bit ones.

I used to download my Linux discs this way, it worked quite well.
http://www.utorrent.com/

You should be able to use this one.

Best of Luck,
Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If an application is 64-bit it requires a 64-bit OS. Many applications are available in both 32 & 64-bit but if an app is 64-bit it will never run in a 32-bit OS so find a new app.

Reaction score
I've never used those apps but uTorrent works for me.

I'm not absolutely positive but it seems to me, the app maker would be shooting themselves in the foot if they only produced 64-bit apps.

Reaction score
Thanks Cat,

That link loaded fine and seems to work, only I think the Internet here is blocking Torrent files. The status is downloading but stays at 0% completed...

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Your firewall can block ports commonly used by torrents. Windows firewall or if your Antivirus includes a firewall they may need adjusted. If you have a router you may need to do some port-forwarding. Or some modems (like mine) are actually routers and have built-in firewalls which may need to have ports mapped (may need to contact your ISP for help).

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
When you installed uTorrent, did you check the option to allow the program through the firewall (create an exception)? I just updated mine to the latest version today, you must allow this for it to work.

You can always try reinstalling the program, look closely at the options before clicking forward. This is the easiest app of it's kind to install & use.

Cat

Reaction score
You may need to enable the "protocol encryption" in settings under the BitTorrent tab.
I think I remember reading some where that this helps hide torrent activity from your ISP.

Edit:
BitTorrent protocol encryption
Protocol encryption (PE), message stream encryption (MSE), or protocol header encrypt (PHE)[1] are related features of some peer-to-peer file-sharing clients, including BitTorrent clients. They attempt to enhance privacy and confidentiality. In addition, they attempt to make traffic harder to identify by third parties including internet service providers (ISPs).

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I will step in and say that ALL torrent clients I have experienced are 32-bit. So therefore, the 64-bit question / statement is moot.

Apparently he's not configuring his torrent client properly or he hasn't opened a port on his router to allow the client to communicate to the web. Most common ports used in bit torrent clients is 57575 - 57580

Reaction score
Thanks you all for the input, but I really think it is the public internet where I am staying.

Once I get back home to a faster connection I believe it will work. The internet speed here is 0.5 Mbps and I'm trying to download 700 Mb. There are about 1000 guests using the internet here at any given time...and it is a satellite connection.

I also upgraded to Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit (had to reformat the drive, but worth it!) Programs work way faster now.

I'll keep you posted when I get a better connection...

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Yupper! If you're using a "public internet access" then the torrent client is probably being throttled by the IP provider.

The absolute two best torrent clients are Bit Torrent and uTorrent. Basically they're cookie cutters of each other, the uTorrent based on the Bit Torrent engine.

From Wikipedia:
µTorrent (or uTorrent; commonly abbreviated as "µT" or "uT") is a freeware, closed source BitTorrent client by BitTorrent, Inc.. It gets the "µ" in its name from the SI prefix "micro-" meaning "one-millionth", referring to the program's small memory footprint: the program is designed to use minimal computer resources while offering functionality comparable to larger BitTorrent clients such as Vuze or BitComet.

The program has received consistently good reviews for its feature set, performance, stability, and support for older hardware and versions of Windows. A report showed that µTorrent is the second most popular BitTorrent client (after the Chinese Xunlei).[11]

It is available for Microsoft Windows and Mac OS X. A µTorrent Server is available for Linux. All versions are written in C++.[12]

The program has been in active development since its first release in 2005. Although originally developed by Ludvig Strigeus, since December 7, 2006 the code is owned and maintained by BitTorrent, Inc.[13] The code has also been employed by BitTorrent, Inc. as the basis for version 6.0 of the BitTorrent client, a re-branded version of µTorrent.

Ask a Question