Will I lose raid on external dock if I eject drives?

Reaction score
I have an external hard drive docking station connected to an esata port on my computer. The dock has space for 2 drives, but I currently only have one drive in it.

I found this website showing how to set up a raid array with external drives (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/36504/how-to-create-a-software-raid-array-in-windows-7/). I'm wondering if I buy a second drive and set both to Raid 0, if I eject the dock (drive(s)) from my computer, say to temporarily install a different drive in the dock, when I put back the 2 original drives in the dock will they have lost the raid or will that remain?

Also if I decide to get rid of the raid and reuse the drives as 2 separate drives again (I know I have to reformat before doing so) what is the process for disabling raid on the external doc so it sees both drives again?

Thank you.

Reaction score
I have an external hard drive docking station connected to an esata port on my computer. The dock has space for 2 drives, but I currently only have one drive in it.

I found this website showing how to set up a raid array with external drives (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/36504/how-to-create-a-software-raid-array-in-windows-7/). I'm wondering if I buy a second drive and set both to Raid 0, if I eject the dock (drive(s)) from my computer, say to temporarily install a different drive in the dock, when I put back the 2 original drives in the dock will they have lost the raid or will that remain?

Also if I decide to get rid of the raid and reuse the drives as 2 separate drives again (I know I have to reformat before doing so) what is the process for disabling raid on the external doc so it sees both drives again?

Thank you.

Just wondering if anyone has tried this.

Ask a Question