Widows 7 32 or 64bit?

Reaction score
have been running Windows7 32bit since launch,want to upgrade to windows 7 64 bit,but have nearly 200 gbs of pictures/videos saved.
will they be usable in 64 bit assuming video card/soundcard allows

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Hi Emack2 and Welcome to The Forum.

First off, I've had some cracking times in Bournemouth when I was younger. For an old town it has it's young bits!! Next, remove your postcode from your "location". I've got it now so just let me know when you are away!! :D

Seriously though, yes all your pictures are compatible (well, depends on the format in reality). So, bite the bullet, if your pc supports 64 bit you won't look back.

Talking pictures, I spent a fortune on plug-ins that were 32bit and haven't been updated, unless I spend again. So I don't use 64bit Photoshop, but when I have used it, the differences were negligible, depends how fast you can make a coffee.

To take full advantage of 64bit, I'd suggest you fill in your system specs in your profile, that way you don't keep answering the same daft/ sensible questions.

And did I say Welcome? We need more Brits!! :D

For help with how to fill your specs see https://www.w7forums.com/get-bsod-and-crash-debugging-assistance-t9023.html#post75550. (You only need the top bit)

I personally hate seeing 6 or 7 people asking "what graphics?" fill that in and you can say "Open yer eyes yer blind bugger"!!

HTH
Elmer

Last edited:
Reaction score
windows 7 32 or 64bit

running a dell XPS 420s tower,300 gig 1dee drive,1000 gig Sata-11 drive,Samsung 2223 w monitor,creative x-140 loudspeakers.Nvidia 8800t graphics card[updated 11 dec,2011 version265.62[latest version]going for re-install to 64 bit monday.
apparently windows 7 auto update can case graphics problems so i will be going direct to nvidia.
Creative X-fi sound card ,have had problems since upgrading to windows 7 ultimate.
sound functions,but loudspeaker controls,microphone ,and head phones don`t function in the tower or speaker.may need new sound card.
printer HP 4100,all items 3 years,9 months old,primary drive failed just out of warranty.hence idee drive,all files are in the second sata ii drive[pics/videos]
pictures are in jpeg or png form.running photoshop 5 [64 bit capable] in 32 bit mode.

Reaction score
Nvidia ge8800t [version 265,62] latest version at least for 32bit

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Pictures, music, and videos are just data; if you have a program that can process them then they work regardless of 32 or 64-bit. It is the programs that may not work in 64-bit. Most 32-bit programs work in a 64-bit OS; it is the very old 16-bit programs that will not work in a native 64-bit environment.

Reaction score
Hello~

Emack~

You mention you have the Creative X-Fi sound card. Creative sound cards can be a bit "funky" to configure in Windows 7(either 32bit or 64bit versions).

I do happen to have a Creative sound card in mine with Windows 7 64 bit. And it works quite well.

I made a post or 2 here a while ago about the Creative Sound Card drivers. Just make sure you dont get the drivers form WU get them directly from Creative.

There are certain things you need to or should do with the Creative software itself to "tweak" it to make it do what you want it to do in Windows 7.

You also mention you HAVE been having problems with the Creative card since installing/upgrading to Windows 7.

What problems , if I may ask have they been ?

~LoneWolf

Reaction score
Firstly Alans PC is,Emack2 just rejoined after installing 64bit.
Moderators I tried for nearly 2 hours to login,the words were near
impossible to read.When I got a temporary password and wanted
to make a permanent one it was back to square one.
So I have had to reregister as Alans PC this has been very helpful
to me.I had to use my secondary E mail address to register frankly
for some one near sighted you make things very difficult.
IF you want to use words make sure BOTH are legible Please.

Reaction score
Lone wolf image ,MY[Emack2] problem is with the Creative Sound Card,is my Creative T-40s work perfectly.BUT the speaker Volume./Balance Controls no longer
control the speakers.Line/Headphone does`nt function nor does the tower Mike/Headphone socket function.Graphics have reverted to Samsungs2223 plus rather than Nvidia latest one.Due to his wifes illness my engineer will be doing
fine tuning over a period.
Much of my problems pre 64 bit was down to Pc getting clagged up with to much unused programs.Using the available memory etc.
Any one running a Dell XPS420s in 64 bit advice on compatible Memory upgrades would be helpful.DDR-2 667 is gett ing very rare,DDR-2 800 difficult to get matched pairs.DDR-3 800 or higher suitable? reliability over speed is best for me.
Over all impressed after a weeks use.fine tuning and niggles aside,when we have time Re calibrating monitor and sound before getting a web cam for skype.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The speaker/balance controls you refer to ... are they physically located on the speakers (there should be no effect here as that is only changed after it leaves the PC) or are they on your keyboard or another input device (controls that would send information to the computer generally need a program or driver to make them function and this was likely lost when you reformatted to 64-bit).

In XP I could always leave my headphones plugged in and I could disable them via the driver controls; with W7 my drivers no longer support this and every time my headphone is plugged in then my speakers are disabled. If your headphones do not work at all then it may also be a missing controller driver. Go to Control Panel > Device Manager and look for drivers not functioning properly. Double click to open them and check the driver tab; select the update option.

Drivers are likely same issue with your video. It is usually a good idea to uninstall the old video drivers and then run DriverSweeper before trying to install new ones.

Reaction score
Alan/Emack~
(this is going be a bit of a long post)

For the Creative sound card there is "mixer utility" that is avaialable via the creative site (last I checked it was in "beta" but it still does work corectly).

Mind you these are the steps I personally used, while on correspondance with a Creative technician via phone and email, to get my creative card to work correctly in Windows 7(Home Premium 64bit)

You go to creative and down load thier "mixer" program. In that program, there are selections for the diffrent ports to "activate" them. That will (or should ) in turn reflect in your Windows sound settings. It did for me. Its a little bit of tinkering but once all is said and done things should work correctly.

You can ALSO got to the Creative site and they have a "product detection" plug in that you can use to correctly identify your product to make sure you get the right software.

NOTE: you DO NOT have to have the "mixer" running constantly for the changes to "stick" . it is essentially a set and forget program.

You also MAY have to use Vista drivers if there are not Win 7 drivers avaialable. Those do work as well.

For the Memory compatability question you can try www.crucial.com for compatable memory. There is a plugin they use whenyougo to the site that will scan your system and let you kwo what memeory is compatable with your system. They also have a "compatability gurantree". If you order from them (or acctually thier retailers as well such as Best Buy) if it doesnt work due to compatabilty or other defects they will replace it.

For the video, SOME systems will automatically switch off the onboard viseo when a independant card ( such as in your case the Nvidia) is put inthe system. If it DOESN't, which is sounds liek in your case, you have to lok throu the BIOS of the system to see if there is a selection to disable the onboard video. Or soemthign to that effect that has to do with onboard video.

However, that being said TrainableMan is correct , check first that you have the most recent drivers installed for the NVidia. Also IF you have it available, check the card in a separate system to make sure it is working.

Hope the advice given helps. I know its a lot to read and take in all at once.

Keep us posted :)
LoneWolf

Reaction score
I have most problems i think due to windows7 ultimate edn,which were present in my previous instal.The Nvidia control panel no longer shows in the Control panel,the latest Nvidia update for Vista/Windows 7 it won`t accept.I have the latest sound card update apparently.I had the mixer card but it vanished with 64 bit.
I anticipated problems when going 64 bit,mostly down to up dating drivers,eventually when funds allow i will run 8gig ram in matched pairs.Thanks for the site link there is a Uk site of the parent company.

Reaction score
Does any one know if a 64bit /windows 7 updates is available for 22" Samsung Syncmaster 2232 BW/Gw/GWPlus Monitor.?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It shouldn't be a monitor problem; the issue would be with your graphics card. If the wrong video driver is installed then your monitor would only work in standard resolution.

As I mentioned above uninstall your video driver and run driversweeper; then try installing the latest driver for your video card if one exists. It could be ??? that this card only has 32-bit drivers, in which case you would need to be W7 32 to use it correctly.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Does any one know if a 64bit /windows 7 updates is available for 22" Samsung Syncmaster 2232 BW/Gw/GWPlus Monitor.?
Although the monitor should work just fine with a Windows 7 generic driver, Samsung does not offer a driver for Windows 7 in either the 32 bit or 64 bit version. The last driver listed is dated from May 2007.

Reaction score
Alan~

If all you need is the control panel for Nvidia, i THINK ( not 100% sure) you can select it when/after you download and run the drivers from Nvidia.NVidia ALSO has a device detection tool you can use as well(Thats what I use and it works good) .

Within the NVidia software they DO have a selection that you can tell the software to uninsall and remove existing drivers and software and reinstall updated .. or I BELIVE there is also a "repair" option.(Again not 100% sure I don't use the repair option myself I always choose it to uninstall and remove existing and reinstall new).

Following what what I juse mentioned should give you back the Control Panel for Nvidia. As well as anything else you want to have installed.

AND BONUS they do have Win 7 64 bit drivers(according to the NVidia website):Release date Dec 19,2011, Version # 6.08

As far a the Creative, thats a diffrent issue. KINDA OF. You CAN individually install/reinstall the diffrent aspects of the Creative software. You just have to download and run them individually. As far as I recall(been a while since I acctually updated my Creative software since I got it working the way I want it) they don't have a bundle you can download, unfortunately.

For the monitor, Trainable and and Nibiru are correct the Win 7 generic drivers will work fine. Unless you doing something REALLY crazy with the monitor LOL. SOMETIMES what happens even, is the NVidia software will detect it correctly and it will show up correctly in the control panel. If all you need is an "identification", due to the fact you are using multiple monitors, sometimes you can find just the, believe its called a *.ini file (* = random file name). Ive had to to that ONCE IN A GREAT WHILE, its NOT common to have to do that,so if you cant find a file like that don't worry about it. . Generally, Windows (especially 7) will identify your monitor(s) correctly.

Hope the info helps.
LoneWolf

Reaction score
Rather than editing

Hello all ~

Rather than editing my other post..

just thogut I would mention...

the acctual program that is neeed for the Creative sound cards is " Creative Console Launcher"

Within that program is where the "mixer" that I keep mentioning about is to be found. As well as selecting what ports are considered acitve. As well as other settings for Creative sound cars.

Sorry if i caused any major confusion.

~LoneWolf

As I had mentioned its been a while since I did any tinkering with that program.

Reaction score
Thank you every one for your helpful suggestions,my problems have really started since Windows 7[IEexplorer 9 maybe].I have had a Pc since 2003,but not a commercialy built one .On retirement april 17,2008 s bought a Dell XPS420s,which shipped with Vista.A Second Terabyte Samsung Sata ,Creative Gigaworks T-40 loudspeakers,Logitech Cordless mouse,Nova TD stick TV /WINtv6,Headphones with attached mike.Flash drive,external drive,and every thing else I could think of.Total cost with instal just short £2000..
Just out of warranty my Primary[Dell Drive crashed] and was replaced by a 300 gig Idee drive.This time without dual boot running just XPPro.
Since installing Windows 7 I have had intermitten boot up problems getting message no boot up found press F1 or F5.Or sometimes booting up direct into Windows 7,the only upgrades apart from Windows 7 was too replace a 512 MB memory stick with a 2 gb one.The Front end is a matched pair,but rear 2 are not.When funds allow 2 pair matched 2gb sticks will be installed.
The Sound Problem has existed since original 32 bit windows 7,Visuals the latest NVidia update was excepted[Vista /7 64bit compatible.I tried installing this upgrade,but got this not supported.Nvidia it seems has vanished,no sign in control panel.
On checking drivers there are 2 for Dell,a seperate for the monitor hopefuly when my engineer is free a full reinstall of drivers will resolve the problems.
It is beyond my competence and hopefully just a case of Nvidia being switched off,Formerly Nvidia gave me more flexibility with my Graphics especially with TV.
I am trying to gain knowledge from people in the know to hopefully pinpoint problems for him.
As an old Hi-fi nut I know nothing is more frustrating to find than an intermittent fault,as an expert[more or less] in that.I often looked for complex reasons for them when the obvious is staring at you.
I`m wondering if IE 9 maybe the problem or one of them,as Graphics seemed to have got worse since downloading.Or that because i`m not using the original Hard drive that is the problem.
I was under the impression onc e a drive was reformatted it should work with ANY version of Windows[32bit] the XP420s is a 64 bit PC ready to go.
Again thanks for all the help,the Pc is running much better overall than before,Graphics are good[but not right to my taste] sound functions perfectly except for phones/mike.
It is really a mater of time,money,and trial and error and niggles rather than major problems.BUT frustrating that after considerable outlay things arn`t completely right.

Reaction score
64-bit can be used on any system, regardless of how much RAM you have. 32-bit can do that also, however, it can only utilise up to 4GB of that RAM. Therefore, if you have anything less than 4GB of RAM, 32-bit is the way to go.

Ask a Question