SOLVED Why can't I get USB devices to wake my computer from sleep?

Reaction score
I want my USB keyboard to wake up my Windows 7 computer. I went into Device Manager, found the USB root hub, and under the 'power management' tab, the "Allow this device to wake the computer" is greyed out and unselectable.

So how do I allow my USB device to wake up my computer?

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I have not tried through that route. I think you must go to each usb device in turn and apply the option (mouse: keyboard etc)

Reaction score
There are no power management options for the specific mouse/keyboard drivers.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
In Device Manager, as I am sure you found, there are several USB Root Hubs,
You may be able to identify which hub the mouse and keyboard are connected to from the Power tab; then you only need to enable that one hub, and can let the PC turn off the others. But have you tried any of the others?

Reaction score
I have been able to identify which HUB my devices are plugged into, but, like I said in the OP:

the "Allow this device to wake the computer" is greyed out and unselectable.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
There are a few things to check. Biggest one is to go to your Device Manager and look under "Keyboards". Right-click the keyboard itself and select the power management tab. It will give you an option here to allow the device to wake the system.

If this setting is ALSO grayed out, then make sure the sleep/suspend settings in the BIOS are enabled. Most often these can be found in the Power Management Setup area. There is also a setting here to allow the keyboard to wake up the PC, this must be enabled as well.

There are a few more things it could be but the above two should do it for ya.

Reaction score
Hello Derbal213,
Could you share your BIOS changes to fix your issue? I had same issue with usb device (connect to front usb port). Its option "Allow this device to wake the computer" is greyed out and unselectable. The only option i can check/uncheck is "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power", but it is not what i need

In summary, my purpose is have one usb device (will show under Human Interface Device list of device manager). Browse properties of this HID device, it shows it connect to hub #7, so i went to "Universial Serial Bus controller", select the 7th USB Root Hub and see the device there, but in Power management tab, option "Allow this device to wake the computer" is grey out

Could you advise this?

Ask a Question