SOLVED Which sound card wou you recommend for a MSI 890FXA-GD70 motherboard ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My MSI 890FXA-GD70 motherboard arrives tomorrow. I'm looking for advice on which sound card to purchase. I prefer it to be full featured- not just for gaming or videos, etc. I prefer one that makes games, music and videos sound the way they should. Other current components involved are a XFX Radeon HD5770 video card and a Hauppage WinTV HVR-1850 t.v. tuner. Both of those are going to eventually be upgraded, as is my Phenom 965 BE cpu to a Phenom 2 1100T cpu. I'm also adding a 2nd 8.0 gb. kit of the G-Skill Ripjaws ram next month.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
The board already has an excellent sound chip in the Realtek ALC889 chipset. Check out the reviews regarding this chipset and you'll see what I mean.

In this review a Realtek ALC889 goes head to head with the Creative XFI soundcard: http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-373-2.htm

When I was in audio and hi-fi sales in the early 70's the BIGGEST difference in how a system sounds is the speakers, plain and simple. It doesn't really matter, up to a point, on how much one spends on preamps, amplifiers, equalizers, etc., it's the speakers that make the difference time and time again. I have proved this point many times in the past during blindfold tests and people were amazed at the difference in sound there is between various brands and configurations of speakers.

Don't waste your money on a sound card, instead get yourself an topnotch computer speaker system designed by a dedicated speaker manufacturer such as Klipsch. You won't regret it as Klipsch has been known to make some of the finest audiophile speakers in the world and have been for over 50 years.

Check out the ProMedia 2.1 These speakers are KICKA$$ !! http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/promedia-2-1-reviews/

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I agree with Nibs, quality speakers means everything. I used to spend over $1,000 on my car and truck audio systems, mainly on high power amps (which I usually fried). Yet only spent $150 of that on the speakers (usually 4 of them).

When I started spending $200+ for a pair of speakers, and less on amps, the sound was quite better, not to mention that the systems lasted longer.

Polk is my favorite (their better ones), but I've never seen those for computers.

Cat

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I currently have a 2005 era Cyber Acoustics 2.1 set of speakers. They sound pretty good. I'm a ex-drummer so I know what sounds good or bad. Just had to stop playing due to nerve damage and bone spurs in shoulders from Insulin Dependant (Type 1) Diabetes. I may get a Logitech 2.1 or 5.1 set, but that one's last on the parts list. I just found out through what MSI told Maximum PC, the 890FXA-GD70 and GD65 mobo's are Bulldozer ready. I'm upgrading to one of the 6-core cpu's around September/October. Next month I'm getting a 2nd 8.0 gb. kit of the G-Skill Ripjaws Series r.a.m. After that I'm getting a newer AMD video card and a Hauppage WinTV HVR-2250. Video card wise, it's going to be either a HD6790 2.0 gb. or a HD6950 2.0 gb. After those 3 are out of the way I'll get newer speakers.

Reaction score
Me, too Cat. I had a friend when I lived in California that did shows for Alpine. His car stereo system was worth a good $3000.00+ back in 97. If a drummer did a solo on a song, each drum or cymbal came out a different speaker and it kinda circled the inside of his car. It sounded wicked. It was basically like that with any instrument or vocals, but drums really stood out.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I was just looking at an MSI notebook that had a 2GB dedicated graphics card, at Newegg. But it was out of my price range.

For it's size, you'd think that it would be DDR5, rather than DDR3, but I'm not experienced enough to know the difference. Only what reviewers are saying as to it's size, and it's price ($1,299).

I'm going to be adding the max of RAM that my next notebook will hold, too. Most that I've looked at holds at least 8GB, a few as much as 12GB, and one that holds 16GB. RAM prices must be dropping again, Newegg sent me a few ads, 8GB DDR3 (2 x4GB), for as little as $59 through $69, on their Shell Shockers. I've never seen this much RAM sold for these prices before.

I agree with you, the speakers can be purchased last.

Good Luck with your build. My next PC will be self built too.

Cat

Reaction score
From what I heard the HD6790 is $179.99 and replaces the HD5770 which is what I currently have. However the HD6790 has a 1.0 and 2.0 gb. versions. It was in a article at Maximum PC either Sunday, Monday or Tuesday. I believe the HD6950 is just under $250.00. If you get the MSI version of the HD6950 it can be overclocked to the HD6970's performance. It's looking between one of those 2 for me and possibly 2 of them. However today I get to upgrade my motherboard/r.a.m. when they arrive later and update the bios. Then I'm leeting OC Genie Lite automatically overclock my 965 BE cpu and the r.a.m. Then re-install Windows and run Windows Easy Transfer. Then install my other software after updating the drivers. Time consuming, but a piece of cake. I already got in touch with all the software vendor's, so re-activations are already enabled on that end. I've already got a Macrium Reflect Image and Windows Backup from Sunday on my external drive. Plus that's where the Easy Transfer is going. I've got all drivers, SP1, bios updates and security software on a 8 gb. flash drive and Memtest+86 on a second flash drive. I'm reformatting both my internal drives after doing the 1st Easy Transfer. Before that doing full scans in Safe Mode with MSE, Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware. Hey, Nibs I finally got the DVD-D cable yesterday. Picture on screen looks magnifient now.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I am curious. Why do you need a total of 16 GB of RAM? What are your plans for your new setup that requires so much RAM?

Reaction score
Basically going use 16 gbs. while you can get it cheap and to future proof. A 8 gb. kit of the G-Skill Ripjaws is only $100.00 at Newegg.

Reaction score
Mine too Clifford. I'm gonna get it while it's cheap and before the software companies that don't yet have 64 bit versions of there software get a clue and start making 64 bit versions.

Reaction score
When I was building this pc with the ECS A790GXM-A board the ram companies all wanted $400.00 for 8 gb. kits of DDR2. Heck I got the new motherboard, the G-Skill ram, a DVI-D cable and a HDMI cable for my Xbox 360 for under $300.00. I'm getting that other kit while it's affordable.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Basically going use 16 gbs. while you can get it cheap and to future proof. A 8 gb. kit of the G-Skill Ripjaws is only $100.00 at Newegg.
I'm getting constant promos from Newegg, 8GB (4GB x2) is far less than $100 in many of the "Shell Shocker" deals.

In fact, if I have to settle for 4GB RAM in order for my notebook purchase to be affordable for me (some has 6GB, this would be acceptable, for now), a set of these 8GB RAM sticks will be my first upgrade.

RAM prices are up & down like oil is. Who knows when these deals will end?

Cat

Reaction score
I am too, but alot of state they're not compatible with my motherboard when you double check on the companies website. They had a 1066 mhz. of G-Skill the afternoon after I ordered the Ripjaws. It was something like $75.oo. I checked G-Skills website and the rams product page only listed Pentium based P66 or 67 boards. Not nay AMD based boards.It was a dual channel 8 gb. kit.Cheaper, incompatible and slower ram.

Reaction score
Corsair's website came up with no matches for the MSI 890FXA-GD70. OCZ stopped making ram. Crucial only listed Crucial 2 gb. sticks and Kingston had a couple that were more expensive.

Reaction score
Cat I get Newegg emails daily also. I'm on SSD like you are though, so I can only afford purchases in beginning of month. My diabetes is extremely expensive. I've got a $6,000. oo insulin pump that constantly hooked to me. It's like a beeper sized computer thatconstantly gives me insulin. I've also got a wireless Continuous Glucose Monitor that also hooked into me that sends alarms to the insulin pump, so I know if my blood sugars getting too high or too low. Before I got that, I was waking up 3-5 times a week with a i.v. in my arm, because my diabetes is uncontrollable and my sugar goes too low when I sleep. When that happens , if it gets to anything under 55 - you aren't going to wake up. Funny thimg is my Medicare HMO approved that device and after I received it, they yanked the approval and a federal judge agreed that I definitely needed it, but denied my appeal. I'm still waiting for a few people (doctors, Certified Diabetes Educator and various diabetes organizations) to point me towards the next step on that what to do next.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That's screwed up. I had to hire an attorney, it took 2 and a half years of waiting, and finally got a hearing in front of a federal judge. After only 15 minutes or so of the 30 minute hearing, he stopped the proceedings and awarded me a fully favorable bench decision. It's a shame for sick ones have to hire an attorney and go in front of a federal judge to prove you're too sick to work.

Two months later, in Sept 2008, I finally got what I was owed, with back pay from July 2006 through that present time. But that wasn't the end of it, my long term disability insurance company from my job wanted their money refunded, because I won my SSDI claim. I was allowed to deduct the attorney's fees, but had to write over an $18,000 check back to them.

And worse yet, my insurance coverage that I have now is not comparable to what I had at work. I've had to appeal twice for my 100mcg fentanyl patches, of which I wear not only 1, but 2 at all times, and change them every 72 hours. Unless you're a cancer patient, the "normal" standard is 1 patch at a time. And still need some Demerol for breakthrough pain, as much as 50mg every 4 hours. The generic is no good, I need the brand name drug. It was 100mg every 4 hours, but toxic levels were building up in my liver, so the dosage was reduced, and I have to deal with the remaining pain myself. As far as my overall health costs (out of pocket) goes, I spend almost $500/monthly, not counting my Medicare premium, a $100 increase from last year. One third of my net benefit goes to my health care. And like you, haven't had a raise since 2009.

So I'm in the same boat, I can't afford all of the computer that I want, but have to be content with what I can afford, and learn from past mistakes, like when I bought this all-in-one PC that I'm on now. There was a Toshiba that cost $50 less, had 1GB more RAM, and was in a small tower. But I took PC World's "the best sub $750 PC" on the market's opinion, and this is what I ended up with. That Toshiba could have been built up a little at a time, as I could afford it, to twice it's OEM specs.

The only 2 things that I could upgrade on here was my RAM & HDD. I could have upgraded my CPU, according to my MOBO's home page specs, but thanks to HP's "no home user support", no tech could find me a high performance power adapter (a notebook type PSU). HP has many i5's, i7's and AMD quad notebooks with these power adapters, but no one could find me a compatible one. The thing was, I had found a new (OEM package) 2.4 dual core CPU, fully compatible with my MOBO for $34, but no one could help me with a simple PSU, which I was willing to pay for. So screw HP, they've lost another customer forever, and I told them so.

As far as Newegg's promos goes, I didn't know that those 8GB "Shell Shockers" were for the most part, outdated RAM. When I upgraded the RAM on this desktop, I used Crucial's automated process produce the best match for my PC, I felt that it was the best way to go (for me).

The notebook that I'm getting will have 6GB RAM, so I won't need to upgrade, especially since it has dedicated video graphics, that will leave my entire amount of RAM for my OS (as the article that I read stated). If I'm wrong about that, then I've been misinformed, and will learn as I go.

brkkab, I hope that everything works out well for you, and that you get things the way you want it someday.

Best of Luck,
Cat

Reaction score
Yeah, the Federal Judge basically screwed me. The hearing was done by phone. They kept upping the date and time. Then get this one Cat. The judge agreed I needed it, but didn't grant the appeal, because of 2004 so-called legislature. Just like it took 3 1/2 years and a lawyer later for them to approve my SSD, even though a hospital signed me up for it.Kicker is if my father wasn't retired from the military when I got diabetes. I wouldn't have seen the crack pot military doctors that never did any of the tests diabetics need. They never did any test on my kidneys and I'm headed for dialysis within 5 years because of there stupidity. P.S. Mobo. and ram were doa, I'm using my Vista pc now until Newegg gets replacements to me.

Reaction score
Sound Quality

Hello~

I do Agree with Nibs, as far as the quality of sound is about as good as the speakers will put out that IS true, I have a 2.5 System on my Creative card ( yeah yeah a bit of a Creative 'fan boy' here).

My Speakers are an Altec Lansing 221(link to description on Amazon) YES they are old, but when I got them about 5 or 6 years ago( with a Combo of cash and a Best Buy gift certificate) they ened up costing me about 30$ out of pocket.

Suffice to say, they are great , sound comes out CRISP and CLEAR. Of course it DOES depend on the quality of the music thats being played but that is easliy adjusted with "mixing" software. I KNOW for a fact then IF I CRANK thes babys, and use a good mixer software I'm able to hear the music AT LEAST 2 to 3 Houses down from me and still rather clear. ( ask Simon on this forum he knows :) :) )

And Simon had a belive it was a 5.x or 7 .x surround system( im sure he will correct me if im wrong) and even with that , more so due to the confined space, it was garbled at times.

It all depends on what you are willing to spend on your sound system.
~LoneWolf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question