Which Firewall?

Reaction score
Hello All,
I'm in need of a freeware firewall for my netbook (Dell 2100). It currently has AVG Internet Security 2014 and Zemana AntiLogger on it. I really like PrivateFirewall, but unfortunately it crashes my system! I've been using Online Armour Free but I'm really fed-up with the barrage of popups (I tell it to remember my answer but it repeatedly asks anyway).

I know Win 7 has a firewall, my question is whether or not its both strong enough and secure enough to do the requisite work. Any other suggestions for a firewall?

With "Thanks" in advance,
Regards,
BearPup

Reaction score
Windows firewall standard very standard but you are in luck I've tried Commodo internet security for over a year protects you from everything.

Reaction score
@krissking: Thanks for replying. I actually tried Comodo and it destroyed my system - the only way to recover was to do a fresh install of the OS! I'm beginning to wonder whether the deal I got on the netbook is worth it because they are too sensitive! So far Private Firewall, Emsi Online Armour, and Comodo have all resulted in problems. Private Firewall & Online Armour have resulted in BSODs every time I Log Off / Log On. The only firewall that I've tried that hasn't crashed the system is Windows Firewall control by Tiny Wall. So far Tiny Wall hasn't caused the wall to crash or misbehave itself. .........

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I think the Windows 7 firewall is up to the task - although I do run a 3rd party firewall, but only as I've got "Kaspersky Internet Security" and it integrates better as a full package. Unless you need to manage quite complex rules, then the default firewall should be fine :).

Reaction score
@Ian Thanks for responding. To answer your question, no, I don't have any complex rules, nor can I foresee needing them in the future. I'm a one person operation, I'm the only one who touches my computers. So if I want to do something I just need to give myself permission, likewise if I want to block a site I just need to tell the computer to block it. And that's the total of my complexity!

To be clear, its only the netbook that has the problem with firewalls, my other two computers are perfectly happy with PrivateFirewall (freebie from Privacyware). The only thing I can think of as a cause is that the single core Atom Processor has a conflict with or can't handle some aspect of 3rd party firewalls. So far the netbook seems compatible with the Windows firewall; besides the simple on / off switch in Control Panel, I'm managing it with TinyWall (http://tinywall.pados.hu/). I appreciate your comments, Thanks.

Regards,
BearPup

Ask a Question