What happened to Microsoft News server?

Discussion in 'alt.windows7.general' started by Cameo, Sep 13, 2010.

  1. Cameo

    Cameo Guest

    I've just noticed that the msnews.microsoft.com server no longer carries
    many of the groups, such as for XP and Vista. Are they all migrating to
    web based forums?
     
    Cameo, Sep 13, 2010
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Cameo wrote:
    > I've just noticed that the msnews.microsoft.com server no longer carries
    > many of the groups, such as for XP and Vista. Are they all migrating to
    > web based forums?


    Yes. Many are mirrored on Usenet servers, however, so look for ms groups
    there.
    --
    Crash

    Life is short. Eat dessert first.
     
    Dave \Crash\ Dummy, Sep 13, 2010
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Cameo

    Grenou Guest

    "Cameo" <> wrote in message
    news:i6lkae$aa3$-september.org...
    > I've just noticed that the msnews.microsoft.com server no longer carries
    > many of the groups, such as for XP and Vista. Are they all migrating to
    > web based forums?


    This is what was posted.
    The 12th was the last day, this morning, as you've noticed, there was
    nothing.

    Grenou

    ::: quote :::

    "What is Happening?
    This message is to inform you that Microsoft will soon begin discontinuing
    newsgroups and transitioning users to Microsoft forums.

    Why?
    As you may know, newsgroups have existed for many years now; however, the
    traffic in the Microsoft newsgroups has been steadily decreasing for the
    past several years while customers and participants are increasingly finding
    solutions in the forums on Microsoft properties and third party sites. This
    move will unify the customer experience, centralize content, make it easier
    for active contributors to retain their influence, mitigate redundancies and
    make the content easier to find by customers and search engines through
    improved indexing. Additionally, forums offer a better user and spam
    management platform that will improve customer satisfaction by encouraging a
    healthy discussion in a clean community space. To this end, Microsoft will
    begin to progressively shift available resources to the forums technology
    and discontinue support for newsgroups.

    In addition to offering a compelling online browser experience, for those
    users who prefer to use an NNTP (newsgroup) reader to participate in the
    newsgroups community, we have developed a solution called the NNTP Bridge
    which allows a user to connect a variety of supported NNTP readers to the
    forums they would like to participate in and continue having the NTTP reader
    functionality. You can find instructions on how to download and set up the
    NNTP Bridge here: http://connect.microsoft.com/MicrosoftForums/

    Which Newsgroups Are Affected by this Shutdown?
    All public newsgroups will eventually be closed between June 1, 2010 and
    October 1, 2010. Microsoft will be closing newsgroups in a phased approach,
    starting with the least active newsgroups and moving eventually to more
    active ones throughout the course of the next six months.

    When will this Happen?
    Effective September 12, 2010 this newsgroup will be closed.

    Where Should I go with the Closure of this Newsgroup?
    In an effort to enhance and improve your experience, this newsgroup is
    scheduled for closure in the upcoming months and we would like to invite you
    to participate at http://windowslivehelp.com/product.aspx?productid=15
    forum(s). An exact date will be posted in advance as plans are finalized.

    Should you want to visit the other Microsoft Forums, please go to
    http://www.microsoft.com/communities/forums/default.mspx

    Who Should I Contact with any Questions?
    Send any questions about the process, recommended forums and timing to
     
    Grenou, Sep 13, 2010
    #3
  4. Cameo

    Ken Blake Guest

    On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 09:42:56 -0700, "Cameo" <>
    wrote:

    > I've just noticed that the msnews.microsoft.com server no longer carries
    > many of the groups, such as for XP and Vista. Are they all migrating to
    > web based forums?




    Yes, but you can still find the newsgroups on other servers, such as
    the following free ones:

    news.eternal-september.org
    aioe.org
    news.albasani.net
     
    Ken Blake, Sep 13, 2010
    #4
  5. Cameo

    Cameo Guest

    Thanks. I prefer news groups over slow web forums but if that NNTP
    Bridge works fine, that would work for me.

    "Grenou" <> wrote:
    > This is what was posted.
    > The 12th was the last day, this morning, as you've noticed, there was
    > nothing.
    >
    > Grenou
    >
    > ::: quote :::
    >
    > "What is Happening?
    > This message is to inform you that Microsoft will soon begin
    > discontinuing
    > newsgroups and transitioning users to Microsoft forums.
    >
    > Why?
    > As you may know, newsgroups have existed for many years now; however,
    > the
    > traffic in the Microsoft newsgroups has been steadily decreasing for
    > the
    > past several years while customers and participants are increasingly
    > finding
    > solutions in the forums on Microsoft properties and third party sites.
    > This
    > move will unify the customer experience, centralize content, make it
    > easier
    > for active contributors to retain their influence, mitigate
    > redundancies and
    > make the content easier to find by customers and search engines
    > through
    > improved indexing. Additionally, forums offer a better user and spam
    > management platform that will improve customer satisfaction by
    > encouraging a
    > healthy discussion in a clean community space. To this end, Microsoft
    > will
    > begin to progressively shift available resources to the forums
    > technology
    > and discontinue support for newsgroups.
    >
    > In addition to offering a compelling online browser experience, for
    > those
    > users who prefer to use an NNTP (newsgroup) reader to participate in
    > the
    > newsgroups community, we have developed a solution called the NNTP
    > Bridge
    > which allows a user to connect a variety of supported NNTP readers to
    > the
    > forums they would like to participate in and continue having the NTTP
    > reader
    > functionality. You can find instructions on how to download and set
    > up the
    > NNTP Bridge here: http://connect.microsoft.com/MicrosoftForums/
    >
    > Which Newsgroups Are Affected by this Shutdown?
    > All public newsgroups will eventually be closed between June 1, 2010
    > and
    > October 1, 2010. Microsoft will be closing newsgroups in a phased
    > approach,
    > starting with the least active newsgroups and moving eventually to
    > more
    > active ones throughout the course of the next six months.
    >
    > When will this Happen?
    > Effective September 12, 2010 this newsgroup will be closed.
    >
    > Where Should I go with the Closure of this Newsgroup?
    > In an effort to enhance and improve your experience, this newsgroup is
    > scheduled for closure in the upcoming months and we would like to
    > invite you to participate at
    > http://windowslivehelp.com/product.aspx?productid=15 forum(s). An
    > exact date will be posted in advance as plans are finalized.
    >
    > Should you want to visit the other Microsoft Forums, please go to
    > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/forums/default.mspx
    >
    > Who Should I Contact with any Questions?
    > Send any questions about the process, recommended forums and timing to
    >
     
    Cameo, Sep 14, 2010
    #5
  6. Cameo

    - Bobb - Guest

    "Grenou" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    > ::: quote :::
    > As you may know, newsgroups have existed for many years now; however, the
    > traffic in the Microsoft newsgroups has been steadily decreasing for the
    > past several years while customers and participants are increasingly
    > finding
    > solutions in the forums on Microsoft properties and third party sites.
    > This
    > move will unify the customer experience, centralize content, make it
    > easier
    > for active contributors to retain their influence, mitigate redundancies
    > and
    > make the content easier to find by customers and search engines through
    > improved indexing.


    They left out " we want you on OUR site".
    "We want you to register ..."
    "We need yet another name in our database..."
    They make it sound as if they have administrators organizing it all
    ....'cleaning up after everybody'.

    So, you go there and click on:
    Where is the Forum For…?
    which brings you to:
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whatforum/threads
    and you see 7965 threads for ....
    any subject at all - questions posed by users who don't have a clue.

    There is no organization ... so the first place you'd try -
    the 'INDEX forum' is crap.

    " content easier to find by customers "
    Yeah, right.
     
    - Bobb -, Sep 14, 2010
    #6
  7. Cameo

    Ken Blake Guest

    On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 19:06:51 -0700, "Cameo" <>
    wrote:

    > Thanks. I prefer news groups over slow web forums but if that NNTP
    > Bridge works fine, that would work for me.




    Three points:

    1. There are many disadvantages to the web-based forums; their being
    slow is only one of them.

    2. You can use the Microsoft NNYP bridges or you can use the Community
    Forums NNTP bridge at
    http://communitybridge.codeplex.com/releases/view/49451

    The latter is *much* better.

    3. Even with the better NNTP bridge, the forums are far from fine.
    They are much better than the web forums themselves, but not as good
    as the newsgroups were. In my view Microsoft made a very poor decision
    to move from newsgroups to web-based forums, and they made even poorer
    decisions in how they created and maintained the forums.

    I participate in many of the forums using the community bridge, but I
    dearly wish that Microsoft had stuck with the newsgroups.
     
    Ken Blake, Sep 14, 2010
    #7
  8. Ken Blake wrote:
    > On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 19:06:51 -0700, "Cameo" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks. I prefer news groups over slow web forums but if that NNTP
    >> Bridge works fine, that would work for me.

    >
    >
    >
    > Three points:
    >
    > 1. There are many disadvantages to the web-based forums; their being
    > slow is only one of them.
    >
    > 2. You can use the Microsoft NNYP bridges or you can use the
    > Community Forums NNTP bridge at
    > http://communitybridge.codeplex.com/releases/view/49451
    >
    > The latter is *much* better.
    >
    > 3. Even with the better NNTP bridge, the forums are far from fine.
    > They are much better than the web forums themselves, but not as good
    > as the newsgroups were. In my view Microsoft made a very poor
    > decision to move from newsgroups to web-based forums, and they made
    > even poorer decisions in how they created and maintained the forums.
    >
    > I participate in many of the forums using the community bridge, but I
    > dearly wish that Microsoft had stuck with the newsgroups.


    Does the bridge act as a news server that can be added to a newsreader,
    like Thunderbird, as just another NNTP server, or must the bridge be run
    separately and independently?

    --
    Crash

    "The real question is not whether machines think but whether men do."
    ~ B. F. Skinner ~
     
    Dave \Crash\ Dummy, Sep 14, 2010
    #8
  9. Cameo

    Tim Slattery Guest

    "Dave \"Crash\" Dummy" <> wrote:


    >Does the bridge act as a news server that can be added to a newsreader,
    >like Thunderbird, as just another NNTP server, or must the bridge be run
    >separately and independently?


    You run the bridge, it talks to the web forums. When you bring up your
    newsreader, the bridge will look like a Usenet server to it. So yes,
    you have to add it to Thunderbird or Agent or whatever as a new
    server, and yes you have to run it separately.

    --
    Tim Slattery

    http://members.cox.net/slatteryt
     
    Tim Slattery, Sep 14, 2010
    #9
  10. Tim Slattery wrote:
    > "Dave \"Crash\" Dummy" <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >> Does the bridge act as a news server that can be added to a newsreader,
    >> like Thunderbird, as just another NNTP server, or must the bridge be run
    >> separately and independently?

    >
    > You run the bridge, it talks to the web forums. When you bring up your
    > newsreader, the bridge will look like a Usenet server to it. So yes,
    > you have to add it to Thunderbird or Agent or whatever as a new
    > server, and yes you have to run it separately.


    They aren't real big on directions, but I finally got it figured out.

    --
    Crash

    "Never underestimate the power of the Dark Side."
    ~ Obi-Wan Kenobi ~
     
    Dave \Crash\ Dummy, Sep 14, 2010
    #10
  11. Cameo

    Colon Oscopy Guest

    "Grenou" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    >
    > "Cameo" <> wrote in message
    > news:i6lkae$aa3$-september.org...
    >> I've just noticed that the msnews.microsoft.com server no longer carries
    >> many of the groups, such as for XP and Vista. Are they all migrating to
    >> web based forums?

    >
    > This is what was posted.
    > The 12th was the last day, this morning, as you've noticed, there was
    > nothing.
    >
    > Grenou
    >
    > ::: quote :::
    >
    > "What is Happening?
    > This message is to inform you that Microsoft will soon begin discontinuing
    > newsgroups and transitioning users to Microsoft forums.
    >
    > Why?


    The real reason is because of Alias.
     
    Colon Oscopy, Sep 14, 2010
    #11
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Gilgamesh

    I'm looking for News Server software to run in Windows 7.

    Gilgamesh, Jan 19, 2010, in forum: alt.windows7.general
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    1,720
    JessicaD
    Jan 21, 2010
  2. Nibiru2012
    Replies:
    17
    Views:
    2,750
    Jeffreyobrien
    May 4, 2010
  3. Peter Jason

    Where are all the old sites on "news microsoft.com"?

    Peter Jason, Jun 11, 2010, in forum: alt.windows7.general
    Replies:
    28
    Views:
    1,357
    Ken Blake
    Jun 22, 2010
  4. Nibiru2012
    Replies:
    13
    Views:
    3,205
    davehc
    Oct 29, 2010
  5. Mr. X.

    Microsoft Virtual server 2005 R2

    Mr. X., Nov 5, 2012, in forum: alt.windows7.general
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    422
    philo
    Nov 5, 2012
Loading...

Share This Page