What are good setting for Ccleaner in Windows 7 x64?

Reaction score
What are good settings for Ccleaner's disk cleaner in Windows 7 x64 ?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
In the "Options" and then "Settings" menu, choose the "Secure File Deletion" then "Simple 1 Pass Overwrite" for wiping and file deletion.

The other settings just pick and choose if you need them, there's no one perfect way to set it up other than personal preference.

Reaction score
It's recomended that you only use registry cleaner's occasionally, like once a month! even at that you should be very careful of what you delete.

windows 7 is more than capable of fixing things it's self, windows 7 is designed to ignore old registries therefore not slowing the system down. Not like Vista.

here is what Ed Bott thinks;

http://www.edbott.com/weblog/2005/04/why-i-dont-use-registry-cleaners/

not everyone will agree on this :)

Reaction score
Have those 2 set

I have those set. I'm wondering which are safe to check und System and the Advanced sections on the page for the disk cleaner of it when Ccleaner opens up on the desktop. I remember a post that TorrentG replied to over the summer, but after the weekend clean install for my router problem. I can't remember what all the settings were. I've got Jumplists and Thumbnail cache unchecked. Everything else in the top section is checked. In System I've got DNS Cache and in Advanced I've got Old Prefetch Data checke. I've also got everything checked for IE, Firefox and Opera. I've got Windows Defender and Malwarebytes unchecked under the Programs section.d
In the "Options" and then "Settings" menu, choose the "Secure File Deletion" then "Simple 1 Pass Overwrite" for wiping and file deletion.

The other settings just pick and choose if you need them, there's no one perfect way to set it up other than personal preference.

Reaction score
It's Registry Cleaner is good, ...

It's registry cleaner is good, but not perfect. It always shows Mc Afee Site Advisor, even though Site Advisor Plus works fine in IE 8, Firefox 3.6.12 and Opera 10.63. I also use Tuneup Utilities 2011 and Diskeeper Professional 2010. Perfect Disk Professional 10 and Auslogics DiskDefrag were both tried recently and both caused frequent BSOD's per TorrentG. My drivers are all updated and since removing both of them. I've had no BSOD to date.
It's recomended that you only use registry cleaner's occasionally, like once a month! even at that you should be very careful of what you delete.

windows 7 is more than capable of fixing things it's self, windows 7 is designed to ignore old registries therefore not slowing the system down. Not like Vista.

Last edited:
Reaction score
This method is safest, The sfc /scannow command (System File Checker) scans the integrity of all protected Windows 7 system files and replaces incorrect corrupted, changed, or damaged versions with the correct versions if possible.

I only use CCleaner once a month but very careful of what i delete, and should i find any serious problems that the first method wont fix, i use ccleaner as last resort.

to date fingers crossed :) I have never had the BSOD on this pc i am using, however on my other pc's registry cleaner have had caused problems but i think this was because i used the registry cleaner's more frequent, which i now know better and ever since everything has been fine on all when it comes down to cleaning my pc's :)

Reaction score
Yeah. Registry Cleaners aren't often needed.

Yeah, registry cleaners aren't needed, unless you frequently install/uninstall software. I use Revo-Uninstaller Pro for that with Windows 7 x64. If you don't have a 64 bit os the free version of Revo-Uninstaller is fine. You need the Pro (paid for) version if you have 64 bit Windows.
This method is safest, The sfc /scannow command (System File Checker) scans the integrity of all protected Windows 7 system files and replaces incorrect corrupted, changed, or damaged versions with the correct versions if possible.

I only use CCleaner once a month but very careful of what i delete, and should i find any serious problems that the first method wont fix, i use ccleaner as last resort.

to date fingers crossed :) I have never had the BSOD on this pc i am using, however on my other pc's registry cleaner have had caused problems but i think this was because i used the registry cleaner's more frequent, which i now know better and ever since everything has been fine on all when it comes down to cleaning my pc's :)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Yeah, registry cleaners aren't needed, unless you frequently install/uninstall software. I use Revo-Uninstaller Pro for that with Windows 7 x64. If you don't have a 64 bit os the free version of Revo-Uninstaller is fine. You need the Pro (paid for) version if you have 64 bit Windows.
The "Pro" version of Revo Uninstaller is free for 30 days, it's a trial period. If you save the exe. file (the installer file), you can install these "trial period" apps many times, as you need them.

It's in the EULA, you can have and keep one copy of the file, to reinstall it with, should you need it. Most apps are this way.

Many useful utilities has free "trial periods", such as valuable defrag tools, like Disckeeper & Perfect Disk, keep the exe. file, and use them over & over (on different computers), as you need them. There are many useful apps that you can obtain this way, if only you hunt the net for them.

Cat

Reaction score
Very true Cat

That's very true, but that's an outdated version. The current updated version is 2.4.3.0.
The "Pro" version of Revo Uninstaller is free for 30 days, it's a trial period. If you save the exe. file (the installer file), you can install these "trial period" apps many times, as you need them.

It's in the EULA, you can have and keep one copy of the file, to reinstall it with, should you need it. Most apps are this way.

Many useful utilities has free "trial periods", such as valuable defrag tools, like Disckeeper & Perfect Disk, keep the exe. file, and use them over & over (on different computers), as you need them. There are many useful apps that you can obtain this way, if only you hunt the net for them.

Cat

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score

The article from Ed Bott is over 5-1/2 years old too. To me it's basically six of one and a half dozen of the other.

This is one of those "opinionated" topics, so you'll get a lot of diverse opinions for sure.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That's very true, but that's an outdated version. The current updated version is 2.4.3.0.
Well, download the current trial version, if it's more current than the older one. But the older version works quite well. It uninstalls every last fragment of unwanted programs (in most cases). I use it to uninstall "crapware" that installs whenever I decide to do a cleanup and reinstall the OS (through the OEM's reinstall partition, or discs).

It's great for uninstalling unwanted AV's with, too.

Cat

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Mainly because I wish to add to this thread (lol), in the pros and coins, perhaps we should differentiate between registry cleaners and general cleaners, Ccleaner being the latter. I think you will find, if you browse, that Ccleaner, and other computer software cleaners, are generally more often frowned on than reccomended.. I was flamed , even by, in one instance, a moderator, for offering, on another site, a suggestion to clean a registry, which I know, 100%, would have solved the posters problem!
I use a registry cleaner regularly on the laptop which I am using to post at this moment. This is mainly because I am, due to another interest, constantly installing and uninstalling programs. My other household computers I do not clean, except for the two software portions, which I do manually.
Maybe off thread, but whilst I do not notice any speed improvements through this, I certainly do with the application of a Reg Defragger.

Reaction score
The version number I listed was ...

I was correct. The version number I listed was for Revo-Uninstaller Pro. Thst was a response to Cat. I have the updated version of Ccleaner. I downloaded it from Piriform last week when they released. Cat was saying he just repeatably uninstalls and reinstalls the same version of Revo-Uninstaller Pro before the trial period ends. When you download the Pro version off there site it's usually an older version. That's just like 2 months ago when I downloaded and purchased Easy Duplicate Finder as soon as I rebooted after installing it. I opened it up, it ran it's update automatically and updated itself. After I had just downloaded it from there website easyduplicatefinder.com.
The article from Ed Bott is over 5-1/2 years old too. To me it's basically six of one and a half dozen of the other.

This is one of those "opinionated" topics, so you'll get a lot of diverse opinions for sure.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I was correct. The version number I listed was for Revo-Uninstaller Pro. Thst was a response to Cat. I have the updated version of Ccleaner. I downloaded it from Piriform last week when they released. Cat was saying he just repeatably uninstalls and reinstalls the same version of Revo-Uninstaller Pro before the trial period ends. When you download the Pro version off there site it's usually an older version. That's just like 2 months ago when I downloaded and purchased Easy Duplicate Finder as soon as I rebooted after installing it. I opened it up, it ran it's update automatically and updated itself. After I had just downloaded it from there website easyduplicatefinder.com.
No, I stay on top of the trial versions of different products, and only keep the updated ones. What I do is use them from computer to computer, OS to OS, even in VM's. You have a 15 (or 30) day trial to use their product on a given install. Then, you remove it, and put it where you need it next.

For example, PerfectDisk. You can use it for 15 days free of charge. So I don't need it on that install anymore, but a VM that I just created does. So I install it there, and goes the circle.

You can find and have many free apps in a like manner, your only cost is the time to search for trial offers for what you need. Be sure to save the exe. file on a thumb drive, you can install it as many times as you wish (or need). The EULA allows for one backup copy to be kept.

In other words, take full advantage of any free trials that you need, keep the exe (installer) file on a thumb drive, and use it as many times as you wish. Times are tough, take advantage of the goodness of these company's hearts.

Cat

Reaction score
Very true Cat.

Very True Cat, but there's obviously reason the software companies issue patches/updates for there software. It's usually to fix a bug or a vulnerability in it. Then there's the part where the new version has improved features. Hey I liked Vista, but 7's better in my opinion. I know alot of what they did with 7 compared to Vista was to tweak some registry settings, but they also improved Aero and how the different Services are handled. In Vista the majority of Services strated Automatically. In 7 the majority are set to Manual and only start when Windows needs them. They also improved User Account Control in 7. Now you set it to the notch above turning it off and the screen doesn't dim and your still protected by it. The top notch is how Vista's was and the default is an improvement over Vista, but still has the annoying darkening of the screen. Where as in Vista it was either on or off.
No, I stay on top of the trial versions of different products, and only keep the updated ones. What I do is use them from computer to computer, OS to OS, even in VM's. You have a 15 (or 30) day trial to use their product on a given install. Then, you remove it, and put it where you need it next.

For example, PerfectDisk. You can use it for 15 days free of charge. So I don't need it on that install anymore, but a VM that I just created does. So I install it there, and goes the circle.

You can find and have many free apps in a like manner, your only cost is the time to search for trial offers for what you need. Be sure to save the exe. file on a thumb drive, you can install it as many times as you wish (or need). The EULA allows for one backup copy to be kept.

In other words, take full advantage of any free trials that you need, keep the exe (installer) file on a thumb drive, and use it as many times as you wish. Times are tough, take advantage of the goodness of these company's hearts.

Cat

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
brkkab123, you're right. But the apps that I'm talking about are not free ones, they are paid ones with a trial version. Yes, they do update on occasion, but for the most part, they don't update much, like CCleaner does.

Programs such as Revo Uninstaller Pro, PerfectDisk, Diskeeper and so on, don't update as often, so if you can get a trial of them (PerfectDisk & Diskeeper requires registration), keep the installer file for future use. Revo, you can download whenever you wish, with no restrictions. But the others, to get another free trial, you have to enter a different email address to get the download, as the one you used before is still in the system.

There are many trial versions of excellent software on the market, many requires registration, so keep the exe (installer) files for future use. Since the software is time limited, take full advantage of the time you have, uninstall it, and reinstall it again for another trial period in the future. I have 6 email addresses, so I don't have to worry about getting all of the free software that I wish.

Also, there's a website called "Giveaway of the Day". Recently, Easeus Partition Manager Pro was offered, I downloaded and activated it within the time frame. But I saved the exe file, and have installed it several times long after the "giveaway" ended. Hopefully, you can begin to see where I'm coming from. That exe (installer) file is the key, keeping it on a thumb drive, or CD, can allow for virtually unlimited installs.

Being on a fixed income, I need all of the breaks that I can get. There's tons of quality software, across many categories, for free, awaiting you to download & install it.

Cat

Last edited:
Reaction score
The point I'm trying to make is...

I understand the position your in Cat. I'm in it to. I'm also on SSD like you. I'm just stating that, yes some software may or may not update as often. When they do update it, its done for reason. I remember a couple months ago hearing about a boat-load of vulnerabilities in different software that runs on Windows. Some companies have patched these vulnerabilities, but if we're using the trial version instead of the paid version. They very well may not have that version on the site when you click to download what-ever trial it is. Afterall they're in the business to make money. PS How do you like Tuneup Utilities 2011 ?
brkkab123, you're right. But the apps that I'm talking about are not free ones, they are paid ones with a trial version. Yes, they do update on occasion, but for the most part, they don't update much, like CCleaner does.

Programs such as Revo Uninstaller Pro, PerfectDisk, Diskeeper and so on, don't update as often, so if you can get a trial of them (PerfectDisk & Diskeeper requires registration), keep the installer file for future use. Revo, you can download whenever you wish, with no restrictions. But the others, to get another free trial, you have to enter a different email address to get the download, as the one you used before is still in the system.

There are many trial versions of excellent software on the market, many requires registration, so keep the exe (installer) files for future use. Since the software is time limited, take full advantage of the time you have, uninstall it, and reinstall it again for another trial period in the future. I have 6 email addresses, so I don't have to worry about getting all of the free software that I wish.

Also, there's a website called "Giveaway of the Day". Recently, Easeus Partition Manager Pro was offered, I downloaded and activated it within the time frame. But I saved the exe file, and have installed it several times long after the "giveaway" ended. Hopefully, you can begin to see where I'm coming from. That exe (installer) file is the key, keeping it on a thumb drive, or CD, can allow for virtually unlimited installs.

Being on a fixed income, I need all of the breaks that I can get. There's tons of quality software, across many categories, for free, awaiting you to download & install it.

Cat

Ask a Question