website creation

Reaction score
can anyone suggest any software that can be used to create websites with windows 7, or preferably even ones with demos/trials
thanks

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I began my web experiments with this one, which I paid for (Very cheap). I have just googled and see it is now free!. It gives you a good start and you can then move on, possibly, to more complicated programs.
http://www.personalwebkit.com/index.php

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Adobe Dreamweaver, or for lesser extent Mozilla Seamonkey.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hehe, here comes the web designer :) (me)

If you are serious about making a website, don't bother buying any software. You can make websites with notepad alone! You can then download and install Notepad++ for more features such as syntax highlighting.

Then just learn HTML / CSS / PHP :) A good website to start with is http://w3schools.com/html

If on the other hand, you just want to have a website - just hire a designer to do it for you (such as me).

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Web software often includes design tools to help place and space pictures, etc just how you want them and may even include canned scripts for scroll bars etc that a novice most likely could not accomplish in notepad. For some people they want the professional look while still being hands on.

And a web designer can be quite expensive.

Reaction score
thanks all. I've used Dreamweaver in the past but found it all a bit awkward. Also http://www.personalwebkit.com/index.php states it is not for Windows 7. I only really need the site to have about 6 pages or so including some photos and text, any flash features etc would be nice to make it look modern but are not a definitive need.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
OK. I have just downloaded webkit and installed it on a 64Bit windows 7 ultimate. Runs 100% as far as I can see, but I did not explore it totally.

Reaction score
ok thanks I'll give it a go - I have not tried it I just read on their website it was not for windows 7

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
OK. I have just downloaded webkit and installed it on a 64Bit windows 7 ultimate. Runs 100% as far as I can see, but I did not explore it totally.
A man after my own heart. Download, install, have a quick shufty about.

Reaction score
you could also try http://kompozer.net/ a web editor similar to Microsoft Frontpage or Dreamweaver.

I currently use Dreamweaver but it has steep learning curve if you are new to webpage design - For quick updates and tweaking I also use Notepad.

Reaction score
can anyone suggest any software that can be used to create websites with windows 7, or preferably even ones with demos/trials
thanks
Hi there Destructi, If you have seen my other posts you will see that I have been getting 'stick' for just adding an 'i' on to names.............. so better start again........
Hi there Destructor 73214.
I have recently been thinking of putting together a new web site and came here to ask the same question as you. My site is centreoftheuniverse.co.uk At the momen I have to 'contact' the web experts ( :rolleyes: ) if I need to make any changes. I notice that one of the links is not working and I want to make other alterations.$€£ !!! I had the brilliant idea that I would 'sell' stars to people who would like to put a link on the web site. I may still do this but I feel it is too slow at the moment and not easily navigated, ............... keeps opening the Home Page after each search ......... which I told the web people I didn't want!!!! Also needs to attract traffic. I used to have the original site set up so that I could go in and do the changes myself with an FTP Client, but to be honest, if I had been given a book and told to learn Chinese, it would have been easier. Now there are all sorts of FREE offers. I recently came on Wix.com - for Flash websites.......... FREE!!!! It looks SIMPLE :D and as far as I know it works on 7. I did start but got sidetracked, as is one of my specialities. It seems to tick the boxes that you mentioned down the page. I will check out some of the sugestions you got (thanks guis ....... sorry there's that 'i' again...... guys :eek:).

Last edited:

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Uh. Didn't really get that, but meh.
Just one thing; NEVER, and I mean never, making a full flash website. It's the worst you can do. You'll get incompatibility problems and very bad SEO, as search engines can't read flash. Believe me, I know what I'm talking about.

Reaction score
Uh. Didn't really get that, but meh.
Just one thing; NEVER, and I mean never, making a full flash website. It's the worst you can do. You'll get incompatibility problems and very bad SEO, as search engines can't read flash. Believe me, I know what I'm talking about.
WOW !!!!!! Thanks for that Firecat - didn't know - you have probably saved me a lot of time. Thanks again

Reaction score
Quick question. I DL'ed kompozer but my DNS is parked with GoDaddy. Just what is it I need to do to get server space and start with...

ah, nevermind. I don't know what I'm doing anyway.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Quick question. I DL'ed kompozer but my DNS is parked with GoDaddy. Just what is it I need to do to get server space and start with...

Well, try CloudFlux hosting. It's great, free, and I work for them :D support is awesome as well.
http://cloudflux.net Why don't you try it ;)

Then add the CloudFlux nameservers in the Godaddy CP. If all goes well, you should have it working within an hour or two (time for the nameservers to update).

Then just create the pages in the editor of your choice, and upload via FTP to the server.

Reaction score

Well, if you don't know what you are doing Mr. Magoo you have certainly come to the right place because the 'big' guys at this forum certainly seem to know their stuff! They also have a good sense of humor which is very important when dealing with puteroblems!!!

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, if you don't know what you are doing Mr. Magoo you have certainly come to the right place because the 'big' guys at this forum certainly seem to know their stuff! They also have a good sense of humor which is very important when dealing with puteroblems!!!
lol. Technicaly though, I think I'm the most advanced, webdev-wise :p

Reaction score
I began my web experiments with this one, which I paid for (Very cheap). I have just googled and see it is now free!. It gives you a good start and you can then move on, possibly, to more complicated programs.
http://www.personalwebkit.com/index.php
Thanks for sharing this useful link....
I'm using online web builder provided by my web host, its easy to use...
But this tool will be helpful for offline experimentation...

Ask a Question