SOLVED WARNING: Google Chrome's deceptive install

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I've always had a dislike for Google (except Youtube which they bought) but I was really surprised with all the extra crap that gets installed with Google Chrome.

I am doing a fresh install on my nephews computer and so I was reinstalling software. I downloaded the latest Chrome and I already knew about the two update services they automatically slip into your system but during the install it displays 4 or 5 different products with an "accept" screen that are totally unnecessary for chrome operation.

If you aren't paying close attention most users probably just "accept" not realizing it is extra garbage they don't need, including some that adds ads! One was software to help prevent changing your default browser, etc which reminds me of that CONDUIT crap. Another was local weather but would include ads, and a couple more I can't recall. You actually have to choose to "skip/bypass/decline/not accept" (depending on the item).

For most installs declining anything means the termination of the install so I find this extremely deceptive. I've seen similar tactics on lesser freeware and I don't appreciate it there either but by now I've come to expect it, but from Google? I think it's shameful.

Reaction score
For most installs declining anything means the termination of the install so I find this extremely deceptive. I've seen similar tactics on lesser freeware and I don't appreciate it there either but by now I've come to expect it, but from Google? I think it's shameful.
Short answer/reply, I feel the same way.

Reaction score
Tired of unchecking unrelated offers while installing software?

Have you ever felt, while installing software, that the installer tries to push additional unwanted programs at all cost? Ever missed a checkbox, and spent hours afterwards removing adware? Ever opened your browser after an installation, only to find out that you have a new homepage, a new search engine, or even a new browser?
Unchecky aims to keep potentially unwanted programs out of your computer.

It works but not perfectly.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Simple, I just don't use such garbage. I have never liked Chrome, even though I check it every now and then to see if I could change my mind. But it normally lasts about 10 minutes before it is uninstalled.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
This seems to be the way with so many applications nowadays - it was bad enough when toolbars were bundled with downloads, but at least that was overt and easy to avoid. I've installed a couple of things recently that had a similar install process to the "skip/bypass/decline/not accept" process you described above - I had to read very carefully not to get caught out!

Reaction score
It's simple. You just have to spend a couple of days deciphering the meaning of "Uncheck the check box to not opt out of registering to decline your wishes to accept the option to not decide to uninvite random companies to send you crap" before you click that box! :D

Reaction score
what do you use in place of google chrome, do you remove from your programs ?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I normally use Firefox with add-ons Ad Blocker Plus and NoScript. That along with a huge hosts file of known malware & ad sites keeps me from seeing advertisements on most websites.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I just installed Chrome today as I had just reformatted and reinstalled Windows (decided to go with Windows 8 again, God help me...) and I didn't get any extra offers. Are you sure you downloaded the installer from google.com/chrome, and not from CNet or something?

Ask a Question