w7forums

Reaction score
what happens to w7forums when windows 8 comes out!? o.0
are you guyz planning on keeping w7forums and also hosting a new site with w8forums as the domain, i'm very confused.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If W7 holds on like XP is then this forum will be active till at least 2020.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, that's the new Windows 8 site - I'd have liked to have grabbed W8Forums.com but it looks like it was already taken. :D

This site will still be going for years to come :)

Reaction score
BTW, Ian, who pays and owns these websites? Like somebody has to pay for it or at least host it on their own server.

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Windows 8 is a waste of time and money as far as i'm concerned, they didn't really do anything with it. They just made it look like it's got a lot of new features to it, when all their main focus was probably on the visual.

Windows 9 is going to be what Windows 8 should have been as I see it, just like Windows 7 should have been what Windows Vista was. Windows Vista didn't even have a Video link in the start menu... They just wanted to milk all of the money they could out of the consumers with numerous releases as their method. More releases equals more sales.

Firefox even came out with Firefox 5 not even really a month after version 4, and I hardly see any difference between the two lol. The only thing I see is that they tried to get their visual down, like the way chrome was built, and their speed on their browser suffered for it. Firefox 3.6 is still the fastest I believe.

I created my own complete .jar firefox theme, and already it's incompatible with Firefox 5, after I originally created it for Firefox 3.6. I did however upgrade it to be compatible with Firefox 4, and now it looks like i'll have to do the same for version 5.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I agree with Ace's first para. I posted something very similar on another site - the flaming goes on!!!
I have had the opportunity to thoroughly examine Windows 8 up to the present build. There are articles on the "hidden featires" all over the web. Most of the features are not exactly mind blowing and could easily be put in as add-ons to Windows 7. Other than those features, it was difficult, from a straighforward user point of view, to spot any real differences. My own stopwatch timing of events did not produce any of the extra performance/speed which other testers seemed to have found.
But (and this view caused most of the flaming!) I have a suspicion that this cannot even be considered a progression from Windows y, as was 7 to Vista. It is an alternative OS, designed principly for Tablets. Microsoft are in a slightly warm panic over this particular competition and I see Windows 8 as a countermeasure.

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I'd like to see some benchmark testing for Windows 8 in comparison to Windows 7 to validate any changes in performance. That might be an interesting result to see.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Not much purpose in that right now. It would have to wait for, at least, the Beta release. Bulds are just that. tests of added items, not always well intergrated, patches an so on. At that stage they are not competitive.

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I know, but it will be worth the wait. No beta/alpha testing in comparison to 7, I do mean the full thing. It should be coming out soon though, and even after it does i'm sure they will be creating newer builds, so you never can tell.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
There are probably some around now but, as you realise, for Microsoft to endorse such a thing at this stage would be very bad business practice as it would probably produce wrong, and below par, results.

Reaction score
Aren't the beta releases for IT pros only? Or is it opened to the public?

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
The story goes that it will be on technet (if you are a subscriber) very early, before going to the public.

Ask a Question