W7 64 bit to W10 32 bit

Reaction score
I have never been totally happy with W7 64 bit compared to 32 bit. Now that we are offered W10 can I download the 32 bit version or will I have to stick with the 64 bit option?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Any time you switch bit-size it requires a complete reinstall. So in order to upgrade for free you will most likely need to completely reinstall W7 32-bit with your current product key (which means backing up all your data, finding 32-bit drivers for all your hardware, and then reinstalling all your programs) and then upgrade; even then I do not know if it would qualify for the free upgrade (I'm not sure if install date is one of MS's qualifications to upgrade free)

Unless you have less than 3GB of RAM or you have old 16-bit programs you need to run, there is rarely a good reason to go back to 32-bit

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I completely agree - there aren't really any benefits if you are ok with those points. Is there any reason you're not happy with the 64 bit version (vs 32 bit)?

Reaction score
Any time you switch bit-size it requires a complete reinstall. So in order to upgrade for free you will most likely need to completely reinstall W7 32-bit with your current product key (which means backing up all your data, finding 32-bit drivers for all your hardware, and then reinstalling all your programs) and then upgrade; even then I do not know if it would qualify for the free upgrade (I'm not sure if install date is one of MS's qualifications to upgrade free)

Unless you have less than 3GB of RAM or you have old 16-bit programs you need to run, there is rarely a good reason to go back to 32-bit
Thanks for that. The reason I was considering going to 32 bit is that I get some freezing of IE11 on the 64 bit drive whereas I don't on my 32 bit drive. I have a swappable drive arrangement with the 32 bit on a 500GB Seagate Barracuda and the 64 bit on a 1000GB Seagate Barracuda.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I think it's probably a problem elsewhere, as IE11 shouldn't crash just because it's running on a 64-bit OS. Hundreds of millions of PCs will use the same setup and it isn't a known problem :). Maybe do a clean Windows 10 x64 install (assuming you're all sorted with backups) and see how it works? :)

Reaction score
I think it's probably a problem elsewhere, as IE11 shouldn't crash just because it's running on a 64-bit OS. Hundreds of millions of PCs will use the same setup and it isn't a known problem :). Maybe do a clean Windows 10 x64 install (assuming you're all sorted with backups) and see how it works? :)
Thanks for the interest. I'll give that some thought. Meantime I am still inclined to hold off from W10 for a while.

Reaction score
There is still 10 more months on the free upgrade offer. You have plenty of time to make a decision.

Reaction score
Using 64Bits edition you have some benefits, if your only problem us with IE, may be you need to deal with the explorer, and not the entire system.

Ask a Question