Volume Shadow Copy Service Error 0x80042302 when trying to perform System Restore

Reaction score
Long story, but bottom line is that I need to perform a system restore, but whatever corrupted my computer has caused this error also. Is there a way to fix this short of OS reinstall? I have Windows 7 Premium 64bit. I believe REVO uninstaller did this to my PC stemming from trying to get HP Media Smart uninstalled because of numerous issues. Since running REVO, I have numerous components that are not working properly. I was hoping a system restore would fix the issue. Please help.

Thank you to anyone with a clue.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Marlettie, welcome to the forum! Do you have a recovery partition that you can boot into, so that your computer will function "as new" again, or did you create system recovery discs for your computer when it was still new? I honestly feel that a reinstall is in order for you. Revo Uninstaller is a good tool to have, but it must be used wisely. It does delete registry entries upon uninstalling software, and you must be particular as to what is deleted. CCleaner has a safer uninstaller. Marlettie, if your computer came with Windows 7, you most likely have a recovery partition to boot into, this will reinstall Windows 7 for you, you will have to go through a few prompts, but it's easy. If you have a question on it, or need anymore assistance, feel free to post back anytime.

Reaction score
Thanks Catilley! I bought this notebook with Vista 64 bit and upgraded to 7. The upgrade came free through HP. I don't have any backup discs, and I'm not sure how to boot to the recovery partition. I tried F11 at boot up when prompted, but that functionality is gone also. I'm kicking myself for not making back up discs. There were no discs that came with the system, so I only have the upgrade discs from HP, and I'm not sure those will do me any good. If I have the activation codes for my OS, would Microsoft send me a new copy of WIndows 7? I've lost sound, cannot recover or system restore, my connection icon in the lower right hand tray says I'm not connected even though I am, I've lost link functionality in control panel (cannot open Program Uninstaller), I cannot open my Windows Live Mail, Windows keeps telling me that it doesn't detect any AntiVirus software running on the system, and on and on. I have Webroot Internet Security Essentials, and the Windows Cleaner no longer works, which makes me nervous that there are other aspects of the program that aren't working properly and I just don't know it. I have installed Adware Professional 2010, RegCure, Cyberdefender, and Advanced System Care. I've done multiple scans with all of these and they have turned up Malware (all finding different ones). I've gotten to the point now where none are finding anything, so my PC seems to be clean now, and RegCure only found one error on the last scan. Even with all of this followed by a reboot, the problems still exist.

As for the backup discs, I've certainly learned my lesson...

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for the reply!

Reaction score
Hey Catilley, BTW-

I see in your specs that you have Windows 7 with HP MediaSmart Suite. Does this program work for you? Do you play blurays? My quest to fix this program is what set off this spiral effect in the first place. Just curious...

Thanks again!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Hi Marlettie, I've never even used the HP MediaSmart Suite that's on here, many of those programs on here (except Microsoft Works) haven't been used at all. OK, so you have an HP, too. That may help us communicate. Do you still have your upgrade media and your activation codes? You may need the original and the new, I've never done an upgrade install. From all of the posts that I've read on here regarding upgrade installs, many have been nightmares. Did your computer function well prior to the upgrade? I'm trying to think of something to come up with for you, but it may take patience, and trying different things. Does your computer still boot up and run at all?

Reaction score
I only ran Vista for a couple of weeks before I did the upgrade. Everything worked pretty well minus a few small hangups that I took care of...the major problem I have had is the MediaSmart software. Amazingly with all the issues, I can still get on the internet and do basic things, but I have lost all functionality regarding restoring my computer back to a week ago before I used the Revo uninstaller. I have the upgrade discs and activation codes. I'm not sure if they would have the core system files though, but it may be worth a shot. I thought about running them, but wanted to get some advice first. Thanks Catilley.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Marlettie, I have a suggestion for you. Download and run Malwarebytes (it's free, be sure to update it, and do a full scan). Stay away from such programs as Advanced System Care & RegCure. They are of little good to anyone, and have been known to cause damage to the system. Run a decent anti-virus program, if you can't pay, or don't want to, Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) & Avast 5.0 are both good ones that's free. Keep Malwarebytes, update and run it monthly, these programs keep viruses and malware out of your system fairly well, although no AV (free or paid) is 100% correct everytime. Get rid of Revo Uninstaller now, if you haven't already. Should you need any further assistance, feel free to post back anytime, there's usually help around here somewhere. Best of luck to you.:)

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Marlettie - your system is basically fried! Barely functional to say the least.

The best thing to do now is to do a clean install of Windows 7 Home Premium x64. You can do this with the upgrade discs. Are these discs from Microsoft with the MS logos etc., or HP's version?

You can spend virtually hours trying to screw around with it and never get it right. Besides doing an "upgrade" install over Vista does cause a lot of problems. Nearly all who have gone this route have had many problems; some severe and some just annoying.

You'll be much happier when you do a clean or custom install of Windows 7. If you need assistance about this PM me and I'll help you.

Reaction score
Thank you both for the tips. I tried obtaining Malwarebytes, but the 'Download Now' link causes the 'Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage' error. I am going to do a fresh install with the upgrade discs. Thank you Nibiru for confirming that I can do this. The upgrade discs are from HP, but the activation code sticker on the disc case is from MS. I should HOPEFULLY be able to get through the installation. I too believe that there are components too far gone to repair at this time. I will check back in when I complete the install and let you know the result. Thanks again for the advice. I really do appreciate it.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Marlettie, that would be your best bet, to clean install your system. That way, any of the garbage is gone. Remember afterwards to run a quality AV, have a second malware scanner such as Malwarebytes on hand, update it weekly, and do a full scan once monthly. My computer is about the age of yours, and these programs have kept mine clean. And stay away from all those programs that promise to "fix all". Best of luck to you, and once you're done, please post back & let us know how the outcome went.

Reaction score
What is your opinion on Webroot Security Essentials? It doesn't seem to pick up malware as quickly as my old Zone Alarm Security Suite. Do I generally need a second or third AV/ASPY program?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I don't know of the program you're referring to, but Microsoft Security Essentials is good. It's an AV and malware protection in one. But I don't put all of my security into one program. Malwarebytes is an excellent and powerful malware scanner, and they have a free version, as well as a paid one. As far as you needing a second program, yes, you need a second scanner to run once monthly, or if you have reason to believe you're infected. However, opinions vary on this topic, some runs no security at all (a disaster waiting to happen), some runs one AV along with a malware scanner, as I've suggested to you, and some (like me) runs what's known as "layered security", running two AV's together (MSE & Avast 5.0 co-exists fine) and have two standalone malware scanners. In the past, I've been infected enough times to learn to protect myself. The configuration that I have doesn't slow my computer enough to notice, and as of yet, I've not been infected using it. Although I run this type of security myself, I don't recommend it to others, because depending on your configuration and installed programs, you may have problems. I haven't had any, but I do keep an eye on things.

Reaction score
Greetings! Just performed a clean install and I'm back in business. I have Webroot and Malwarebytes scanning and everything is looking clean. I downloaded a prior version of the HP Media Smart DVD and it is working fine. I actually was able to get into system restore from the upgrade install disc, and thought it was working, but it errored out at the end. This was the last straw. I'm liking the clean install better and I was smart this time not to download every driver automatically that HP has. I will just download the ones I need when I need them. Thanks for all of the advice. I will be backing up my system this weekend to prevent this going forward.

Cheers!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Marlettie, glad to hear you're going again! I've been down myself before, so I know you feel relieved. You have a great idea, to backup. And being that your install is fresh and working, this is a good time to do it. If you need anymore help, or just want to ask a question, feel free to post back anytime.:)

Ask a Question