SOLVED Various programs stop working

Reaction score
Hi all,

My Desktop (2GB Ram - Intel (R) G41 Express Chipset - ACPI x64 - 80gb HD) was running just fine with XP up until a few days ago. Then all of a sudden when i booted up all i would see is my wallpaper and no icons or taskbar, Got Icons & Start menu trying by restarting manually and then certain programs like Tally ERP9 & MS Office 2007 would not open.

So after formating tried fresh instal of Windows 7, To see if upgrading to Win 7 would help me. Whilst it certainly erased the missing taskbar and icon problem.

Now the problem of Programs (Installed only MS Office 2007 - by CD, Tally ERP9 - by CD, Chrome, Mozilla [Downloaded from net, latest versions] & all these stopped working) Not Working/Stopped came back. The programs would work once and function perfectly after they installed, then would not open thereafter.
(All programmes of Windows 7 works fine like Notepad, IE)Upgraded MS Office 2007 to 2010 but same problem.

Tried :
Several more fresh installs of Win 7 after formatting HD
Scanned all Programmes I installed
Closed Firewall, auto updating
But still same problem.

Please help

Shintaro

Reaction score
Have you looked in the event viewer?
I would suggest trying to start some of the programs then have a look in the event viewer for the errors.

If nothing stands out maybe a virus scan might be worth looking at. I know you have said that you have re-installed, but it is best to be able to check a possible virus problem off the list.

1. Download and run TDSSKiller.
      1. Accept the "End User License Agreement"
      2. Accept the "KSN Statement"
      3. Select "Change Parameters" and Select:
        • Verify file digital signatures
        • Detect TDLFS file system
        • Use KSN to scan objects
      4. When the scan is complete the log file is in C:\ It will have a name like "TDSSKiller.3.0.0.34_04.05.2014_08.05.16_log.txt"
    2. Install Malwarebytes (Free Version)
      1. Select "Threat Scan"
      2. When it is completed, please upload the log file from: C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\Logs
    3. Please download and run Windows Defender Offline.
      1. Click "Next"
      2. Click "I Accept"
      3. Select Either: (Typically it is either CD/DVD or USB)
        • CD or DVD
        • USB
        • ISO file
      4. Cllick "Next"
      5. It will create a CD / DVD / USB and will boot and scan your hard drive offline.
    4. Download hwInfo and run it.
      • Click on "Save Report"
      • Make sure the Export Format is HTML
      • Click "Browse" and select your "Desktop"
      • Give the file a name like MyComputer or your Forum username.
      • Click on Save
      • Click on "Next".
      • Click on "Finish"
      • Put the newly created MyComputer.html (Or what ever you decided to call it) in to a zip file and upload it to the forum.

Reaction score
Have you looked in the event viewer?
I would suggest trying to start some of the programs then have a look in the event viewer for the errors.

If nothing stands out maybe a virus scan might be worth looking at. I know you have said that you have re-installed, but it is best to be able to check a possible virus problem off the list.

1. Download and run TDSSKiller.
      1. Accept the "End User License Agreement"
      2. Accept the "KSN Statement"
      3. Select "Change Parameters" and Select:
        • Verify file digital signatures
        • Detect TDLFS file system
        • Use KSN to scan objects
      4. When the scan is complete the log file is in C:\ It will have a name like "TDSSKiller.3.0.0.34_04.05.2014_08.05.16_log.txt"
    2. Install Malwarebytes (Free Version)
      1. Select "Threat Scan"
      2. When it is completed, please upload the log file from: C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\Logs
    3. Please download and run Windows Defender Offline.
      1. Click "Next"
      2. Click "I Accept"
      3. Select Either: (Typically it is either CD/DVD or USB)
        • CD or DVD
        • USB
        • ISO file
      4. Cllick "Next"
      5. It will create a CD / DVD / USB and will boot and scan your hard drive offline.
    4. Download hwInfo and run it.
      • Click on "Save Report"
      • Make sure the Export Format is HTML
      • Click "Browse" and select your "Desktop"
      • Give the file a name like MyComputer or your Forum username.
      • Click on Save
      • Click on "Next".
      • Click on "Finish"
      • Put the newly created MyComputer.html (Or what ever you decided to call it) in to a zip file and upload it to the forum.
Hi,

I did all these advised by you step by step

Reports of these are in .rar file attached here with.

Major issue I found is 'Sality.AT' virus which detected by Windows Defender Offline.
After Reparing/deleting this MS Office & Firefox started working, but i think this Virus isnt got removed completely [Cos I scanned twice by Windows Defender Offline, 1st Quick & next Full, and both the times the same threat it showed]

What you advice me to do next, Format & Reinstall of Win7 & other apps or something else , pls let me know earliest.

Thanking you

Attachments

Reaction score
Hi Shintaro,

Thanks for helping me out.
I scanned as you advised step by step & found that its the virus 'Sality.AT' was causing this.
Repaired/Deleted by Windows Defender Offline.

But still had doubt that the Virus got deactivated or not, So I just formatted all parts of Hard Disk & reinstalled Windows 7 & just next installed Microsoft Security Essentials & made it set to 'Real Time Protection'
Only after that I started installing other Programmes & Drivers.

Right now PC is working fine, Hope it will.

Thanks again

Shintaro

Reaction score
Sorry for the slow responce.
My newborn son is giving my wife and me a hard time.

What you did was the correct thing. It was strange that the virus scanner was unable to remove the virus. HERE is a link to Microsoft that talks about the virus.

Ask a Question