User Profile Service Failure

Reaction score
Hi
This issue has raised itself in the last two days.
I have run scans using Kaspersky, malawarebytes and both do not show any trojans, virus etc, so I am assuming it is a genuine problem.

The issue I have is, that so far, all the remedies rely on being able to use an account with "administrator" priveleges.

Of the four accounts on the PC, I am the only one with administrator priveleges and it is my account that is corrupted.

If I try to run anything that reuires me to get permission, eg run cmd in administrator mode, it looks to my account for permission, but of course, as it is corrupted it will not grant permission to proceed.

This is frustrating as I can see my corrupted profile in the registry but cannot do anything about it.

As a last resort, I exported the registry to the desktop and edited in Notepad. But if I try to import it, I get the message that certain files could not be updated as they are "open". This includes my corrupted profile entry in the registry.

I cannot activate the System Administrator as this requires and Admin type account to do this.

So, my question is this, is there a way of generating an Admin type account or actvating the System Administrator, without requiring an "Admin" account?

Many thanks in advance.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Have you tried a System Restore to a restore point at least 48hours old?

EDIT: After thinking about it, I would say try it but it's quite possible it will say you must have administrator privileges to do the restore.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Boot up to safe mode. If your administrator account is gone then the built-in Windows administrator account may be there. At which point you can try a system restore.

If the system admin account is not there then get your W7 installation DVD (NOT a repair DVD). If you don't have one then, on another computer, you can download and burn one ... See HERE.

you can boot the system with it. Select the default language, then choose "Repair your computer". Then select "Command Prompt". At the command prompt type:

net user administrator /active:yes
Source

Then boot into safe mode and logon to the Windows Administrator account as mentioned first.

If the system restore fails you may have to logon to the Windows Administrator in safe mode and create a new administrator ID and then copy all your data over or try to repair your registry manually. More info on that at Microsoft HERE.

BTW: This error you get has me intrigued because I turned on my guest account today (to test another answer) and I got that same User Profile Service Error when I tried to logon as the Guest.

Ask a Question