SOLVED USB COM PORT DESIGNATION AND REASSIGN

Reaction score
I am running Win 7 home premium x64 SP2 build 7601. I had a program working perfectly through an USB to Serial adapter to control a Transceiver (Ham Radio). At the time that was set up, Win 7 automatically assigned "COM 3" to the program and as I said all worked perfect.
Because of room repairs, everything was disassembled and left unplugged for one month. I now plug it all back together and it will not work. I put it back just the same way it was previously including the using the same USB receptacle. I have not added nor subtracted any programs or hardware. It is possible that there was a Win 7 "update" when I turned it back on but I don't remember.
The reason it "will not work" is that the program is trying to communicate with COM 3 and it can't open it. When I go to Device Manager, it shows that the USB to Serial adapter I plugged in is automatically assigned COM 7. When I try to change it via Settings then Advanced, it shows that COM 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, & 9 are "in use" hence it assigned 7. When I unplug the USB to Serial adapter, Win 7 Device Mgr. shows no COM ports at all (I assume that means that none are required in that configuration).
So, what the heck is going on here?
I can't find out what the "in use" COM ports as doing and I can't delete one to get my COM 3 I need. Yes, I could change the program to COM 7 but that is much more complicated than it would appear on the surface.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Dan

Reaction score
Must have had a bug. Malwarebytes and CCleaner a couple times and it works. ??? I think it is similar to a one frame cartoon that hung in IBM. Shows a guy with a brief case standing beside a big machine (computer) and the caption is, "I don't know what I did but it works."

Ask a Question