SOLVED Upgrade to Windows 7 without activating Vista

Reaction score
hi,
I just bought windows 7 upgrade home premium. currently my home preimum machine has a lot of junk and i am wondering if i wipe everything and reinstall vista again BUT not activate it (you know "you have 30 days to activate) and upgrade windows 7 and activate the windows 7 verison...... Hope i explained it well....

WOULD THIS WORK?

Thanks

Reaction score
Good question, but I think you get a message saying you are trying Upgrade an invalid copy of Windows Vista.

There is however no reason not to activate Vista again.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Personally I've read that you don't have to validate the Vista before installing W7. It's been suggested for XP users who want to go the upgrade route to upgrade to Vista (don't activate) then upgrade to W7

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
hi,
I just bought windows 7 upgrade home premium. currently my home preimum machine has a lot of junk and i am wondering if i wipe everything and reinstall vista again BUT not activate it (you know "you have 30 days to activate) and upgrade windows 7 and activate the windows 7 verison...... Hope i explained it well....

WOULD THIS WORK?

Thanks
You can do a clean install of Windows 7, yes even with an upgrade disk. Set the BIOS to boot first from the DVD drive and then reboot. When the screen says"Press any key to boot from CD/DVD drive" do it. You'll only have 5 seconds to decide.

Wipe all partitions and reformat the hard drive. Make any new partitions you may want. Install the OS. After it reboots a couple of times it will ask for product key, etc., don't enter key yet. Wait until its completely done and you're at the Windows 7 desktop. Then go to updates and download all the available updates. Once it its updated restart the computer.

Go to the start orb and in the the Search Bar type: Activate. The activation screen will pop-up and then enter your product key. Many people have had success doing it this way.

From Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows:
Method #1: Just perform a clean install

Many, many readers report that they have been able to simply treat the Windows 7 Upgrade media as if it were Full media, and that it just works. And you know what? It doesn't hurt to simply try this method, because if it doesn't work, you can then try methods 2 and then 3, in order, afterwards. There is no downside to trying this.
Here's what you do. Insert the Windows 7 Upgrade DVD in your PC's optical disc, reboot the computer, boot off the DVD, and then follow the steps to install Windows 7. If you are installing onto a computer that already has another version of Windows, be sure to back everything up first. Do not attempt to install Windows 7 to the same partition as a previous Windows version. Do not provide your product key during Setup.
After Windows 7 is set up, run Windows Update, download any pending updates, reboot as needed, and repeat until there are no more updates. Then, type activate in Start Menu Search to bring up the Activate Windows utility. Type in your product key and attempt to activate Windows.
If it works, you're all set. You're done. Congratulations.
Here's the link to his website.

Good Luck!

Reaction score
You can do a clean install of Windows 7, yes even with an upgrade disk. Set the BIOS to boot first from the DVD drive and then reboot. When the screen says"Press any key to boot from CD/DVD drive" do it. You'll only have 5 seconds to decide.

Wipe all partitions and reformat the hard drive. Make any new partitions you may want. Install the OS. After it reboots a couple of times it will ask for product key, etc., don't enter key yet. Wait until its completely done and you're at the Windows 7 desktop. Then go to updates and download all the available updates. Once it its updated restart the computer.

Go to the start orb and in the the Search Bar type: Activate. The activation screen will pop-up and then enter your product key. Many people have had success doing it this way.

From Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows:

Here's the link to his website.

Good Luck!

mmmm i thoguht about this, i heard a rumor that all windows 7 discs are the same is just the configuration is different.

Reaction score
tell you guys at 5:00 or 40 min later, (5:00 coz if its sucessful, ill prob forget and install 8 games on, office etc +customizing) (40min later means i failed )

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
tell you guys at 5:00 or 40 min later, (5:00 coz if its sucessful, ill prob forget and install 8 games on, office etc +customizing) (40min later means i failed )
Well... how did it go? Just curious.

Reaction score
installed it on my desktop with leaked piratebay verison of windows 7 home premium and entered my BOUGHT GENIUE home premium upgrade key, no problems

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Please don't talk about downloading torrents of Windows 7 on here, as it's illegal and we can't offer help for any such versions :)

Ask a Question