Updates Allowed, Browsing Not

Reaction score
I have a computer that allows updates, but does not allow any browser to access the internet. I have turned off all firewalls and disabled any VP. I can ping google from a cmd prompt. I have reset all IE settings to default. ??? Has me at a loss

Reaction score
Hi.

Open Internet Explorer. Tools | Internet Options | Connections tab | Lan Settings

Remove all checked boxes and ok your way out. Close I.E. then test.

If no good, open an elevated command prompt and run these commands from it one at a time then reboot and test. You can copy/paste them to the prompt with the mouse:

netsh winsock reset

netsh int ip reset C:\log.txt

Reaction score
Oh almost forgot....you have to uninstall 3rd party firewalls to test as disabling will not help.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
As you state "any browser", I doubt if it is isolated to an IE problem. It seems that you have a blocked port, probably 80.
I would disable all the firewalls you may have (? Zone alarm router etc), including the built in Windows 7. I would say it is not the latter, though, if you are able to ping.
Some anti virus programs are also known to do this. Do you have the biggest villain installed - Norton? Disable, for the test, any anti virus or malware programs you have running and test again.

Ask a Question