SOLVED Update Readiness Tool

Reaction score
The latest version appears to be dated May 2014.
When is a newer version going to be released?
I'm still experiencing 0x80073712 errors trying to install update KB2957503. Other updates install correctly. Possibly the same error trying to upgrade from IE10 to IE11.
Thank you.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you are running SP1 and have already tried SFC /SCANNOW as well as the readiness tool then I suspect your registry is corrupted too extensively. My best suggestion would be to back up your data and completely reinstall.

Reaction score
If you are running SP1 and have already tried SFC /SCANNOW as well as the readiness tool then I suspect your registry is corrupted too extensively. My best suggestion would be to back up your data and completely reinstall.
Thank you for the reply. I was afraid I was going to have to re-install. I presume I can do this from the original DVD, and then re-install SP-1 from its DVD. Finally, go to Windows Update and install the huge list of updates. Correct?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you are using a Microsoft Windows 7 Installation DVD (without SP1) then I would encourage you to download and burn W7 SP1 from the list HERE; you will still have two years worth of updates but that is better than four years. If you are using a system restore partition or system restore DVDs then yes you would have to install at least 4 years of updates.

I also suggest you download the latest drivers from the manufacturer(s), especially if you use RAID on your hard drives or have an SSD because W7 does not have those drivers and will need them to install.

Be sure you have you Windows product key before you reinstall because if you lost or can't read the sticker, it can normally be extracted from the registry.

And backup your data to a separate physical hard drive or large flash drive. Windows has a built in tool called Windows Easy Migration you can use to do this but if you do not store all your data in the libraries then be sure to click the advanced option and make sure it is backing up all the folders you want.

Reaction score
If you are using a Microsoft Windows 7 Installation DVD (without SP1) then I would encourage you to download and burn W7 SP1 from the list HERE; you will still have two years worth of updates but that is better than four years. If you are using a system restore partition or system restore DVDs then yes you would have to install at least 4 years of updates.

I also suggest you download the latest drivers from the manufacturer(s), especially if you use RAID on your hard drives or have an SSD because W7 does not have those drivers and will need them to install.

Be sure you have you Windows product key before you reinstall because if you lost or can't read the sticker, it can normally be extracted from the registry.

And backup your data to a separate physical hard drive or large flash drive. Windows has a built in tool called Windows Easy Migration you can use to do this but if you do not store all your data in the libraries then be sure to click the advanced option and make sure it is backing up all the folders you want.
I gather the process is this: Upgrade from the original Win-7 DVD, then install SP-1 from its own DVD (which I made), then the special file from the link you provided. Or, is your link a combination SP-1 and Update Readiness Tool? [I noticed the link references a 3.1GB file]

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The link I included is to W7 incorporated with SP1 but if you have W7 and separate SP1 it wouldn't be too much extra to do it your way.

Reaction score
The link I included is to W7 incorporated with SP1 but if you have W7 and separate SP1 it wouldn't be too much extra to do it your way.
Thank you for the clarification. Since your link includes SP-1, why do the extra step? The download took quite a while, but I now have a DVD with the .ISO file burned onto it.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you downloaded the merged W7 SP1-U then, NO you wouldn't do the two steps. I thought you wanted to just use your W7 DVD and an SP1 (update only) DVD that you already had.

Reaction score
If you downloaded the merged W7 SP1-U then, NO you wouldn't do the two steps. I thought you wanted to just use your W7 DVD and an SP1 (update only) DVD that you already had.
Thus, the .ISO file in your link combines my two DVDs (my original MS Win-7 installation DVD, and then the SP-1 only DVD). That is even better!

Reaction score
Unsuccessful. However, thank you for your help. It should have worked.
I started with the downloaded ISO file, only to get an error message about a corrupt file on the DVD. I went back to the original MS installation DVD. That failed with a compatibility error that my system, SP-1, was newer. I tried running in "Windows-7" mode. That failure. Tried to uninstall SP-1. That failed, even by using the command line method provided by an MS document. According to MS, if one cannot uninstall SP-1 via the command line, then "reinstall Windows." So, I'm right back where I started. It is a vicious circle. It seems that the upgrade path won't work. The spectre of having to do a clean install, losing my settings, and re-installing software is not looking promising.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
What you do is back up all your data to an external drive and then format this hard drive. It cannot yell you have SP1 installed if NOTHING is installed.

Reaction score
What you do is back up all your data to an external drive and then format this hard drive. It cannot yell you have SP1 installed if NOTHING is installed.
I don't relish having to format the partition, do a clean install, and then re-install my applications. [Pity, the file to which you gave me a link earlier is not available on a DVD, even with a modest media charge. The "corrupt file" error occurred while the Windows files were being transferred--beyond the compatibility check. Downloading a 3.1GB file, taking almost fours hours via the Internet is very risky.]

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Install a download manager. Digital Rivers supports the resume option.

Reaction score
Install a download manager. Digital Rivers supports the resume option.
I am pursuing that option. I just hope the second try, via Digital Rivers, will be successful and I can get the hash totals to match. By the way, is there a commercially made DVD with this large file on it available for purchase?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The DVD was sold along with a license but retail sales of W7 stopped. You may still find system builders versions. Because they include a license they tend to cost around $100US for Home Prem, more for Pro or Ultimate. It's really not practical if you don't need a license.

Reaction score
Thank you for the information. I have downloaded the ISO via the Digital Rivers site. Hopefully, that download will be error free. At least I have a second option, in case I don't want to do a clean re-install of OS and my applications..

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Even with the W7 SP1 DVD I believe you will still need to reinstall your programs if you reinstall over the current OS. You just shouldn't have to format first so your data should still be OK. Even so, it is still recommended you back it up to an external drive before the re-install in case something goes wrong.

Reaction score
Great news, finally!! The upgrade reinstall worked. The Digital Rivers download was error-free. Boy, an upgrade takes a lot longer than a clean install--the time it takes to save and refresh one's files and settings does take a lot of time. Then, a few hours of installing about 550MB of updates, a few at a time (except for IE11). Then, running both the Update Readiness Tool and the Repair Update utilities, to to be sure everything was clean. It was. The update download of IE11 failed, the usual 9C59 error. However, there was no mechanism to uninstall IE8, with was installed during the upgrade. I did a directly download from the MS site. Surprise, surprise, surprise, it worked. So, after about 14 hours of my time, over two days, I now have a clean system, Again, thank you for your help. Pity, the MS can't or won't clean up its very fragile update mechanism.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I'm glad you got it working and I have marked this thread as SOLVED.

Just FYI: There is a Microsoft Fix-it for Windows Update that usually fixes things when update stops working. You might try that the next time you can't perform Windows Update.

Ask a Question