Unkown device in network map ? windows 7 RC

Reaction score
Hi all,

I installed the RC on 3 computers. Setup the network as a "home network". skipped the homegroup because I have 2 XP systems I need to access. any way, in the network map on the 3 RC systems a unknown device is listed. For the life of me, I cannot figure out what/why ?? I have attached a pic....

any ideas?

same setup when BETA was installed and didnt have this issue. No 3rd party firewall or network software is installed.

thx for input :)

Attachments

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Does your Windows 7 PC connect directly to the switch? I'm not sure why it would show an unknown device if it's a direct connection. :confused:

Reaction score
Here is my total network setup: I have a linksys wireless router connected to the cable modem.

Windows 7 RC desktop > wired to the 2nd port on linksys wireless router

Compaq Desktop XP Pro SP3 > wired to the 1st port on linksys router

Barbara Laptop XP Pro SP3 > wireless

Toshiba Laptop Windows 7 RC > wireless

Dell Laptop Windows 7 RC > wireless

media sharing is off on all RC systems
wireless network uses WPA2 security, mac filtering,
network is set up as a home and not homegroup because of the XP systems.

seems like a really strange prob?? and thx for quick response :)

have disabled IPV6 on the Windows RC 7 systems
Use Windows Firewall on all the computers...... thing that make ya go hmmmm...

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Have you tried locating Win7 drivers for your Ethernet adapter (or mobo chipset if LAN is onboard)?

Does this always show up on your network map, or intermittently? Does it show up right after reboot and before any apps are used, or in safe mode w/ network? Do all of the RC machines detect it and list it as unknown?

I have more questions than answers at this point, honestly...

The only time I've ever come across something like this was when I had a Server 2003 box on the LAN. The router would DHCP an IP for an "unknown" device/host. I noticed it from my Vista desktop and after a lot of head-scratching tracked it down to the server. I had MAC address filtering enabled, all the possible security measures the router allowed, and this unknown device kept popping up. It was some cron job or service that 2003 ran every now and then for reasons I can't remember anymore. Something I never set up, that's for sure. I know 2003 <> W7 but I thought I'd throw it out there, especially since those two machines on the map, to my understanding, the ones without any "unknowns" linked to them are XP machines.

Last edited:
Reaction score
All the chipset and network drivers are up to date. And the unknown device is always there... after reboot, shut down.... havent tried it in safe mode tho.
And all the RC computers see it and list it as unkown as well..... very wierd indeed ???

The XP systems list all the network computers correctedly. No unknown device in that map. Also I have no problem accessing all the computers over the network.
I do have a HP Officejet 4315 printer that is shared. All the computers in the network use it without issue. wonder if unknown is that?? just an idea lol

Last edited:
Reaction score
there is no "unknown" in the XP network places/workgroup ..... XP just lists all the computers on the network... wish the RC would do that lol

Reaction score
hmmm ...I dont have a server but you could be right about a service or something like that that is on the RC systems that are causing the unknown to show. Will have to check and compare services that are running to see if I can pinpoint it.

I was also wondering if my linksys wireless router has a firmware update... might be needed with the RC.... just a thought lol

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
A firmware update wouldn't be a bad idea if available.

By the by, my W7rc1 machine leases two IPs from my Belkin router. Just noticed it when I logged into the router to look at the client log. Nothing unusual on the network map though, but I've never noticed the XP client leasing more than one IP at a time.

Reaction score
an Update:

I think I might have figured out the ? in my network map.

I decided to compare the settings in the network and sharing center. I noticed that the Windows7-PC had joined a homegroup. All the other computers had "Ready to Create" listed. I had the Windows7-PC leave the homegroup. I rebooted and the big ? in the map was no longer there. I then double checked my network connections and was able to access all the othe computers/files. Not sure if this was the actual prob or not but it seems to be fixed now.

thanks again for the help :)

Ask a Question