SOLVED Unable to Update

Reaction score
Currently I am unable to update my machine. Im using a Samsung R780 with win7 home premium. I've tried installing all of the updates at once and one at a time, any update that doesnt require a reboot will install successfully, if at any point i have to restart to install an update it fails and reverts. Any suggestions?

zigzag3143

Wanikiya
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Currently I am unable to update my machine. Im using a Samsung R780 with win7 home premium. I've tried installing all of the updates at once and one at a time, any update that doesnt require a reboot will install successfully, if at any point i have to restart to install an update it fails and reverts. Any suggestions?
Run the update readiness tool to look for defects

Ensure you install the correct 64 or 32bit option for your system)

Download the System Update Readiness Tool (64bit)
Download the System Update Readiness Tool (32bit)

ISC Diary | Windows 7 / 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 Problems

links courtesy jmh

Reaction score
Readiness tool seems to be stuck at about 80%. It's been there for about 30 minutes. Is this normal?

EDIT - Seems just as soon as i posted this it finished xD going to restart and try installing updates.

Edit - After downloading the 47 updates and installing them, the first service pack update went through, the second failed, and now I cant get windows update to come up (after waiting over 3 hours for it to update and restore).......

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ended up having to use system restore while the system was loading because after the failed update explorer.exe would have to be stopped then started to run and my laptop would freeze if i tried running windows update or system restore. The only update to go in successfully was my .net framework.

edit - going to try and do only the SP1 update and see if that changes anything

Last edited:

zigzag3143

Wanikiya
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Ended up having to use system restore while the system was loading because after the failed update explorer.exe would have to be stopped then started to run and my laptop would freeze if i tried running windows update or system restore. The only update to go in successfully was my .net framework.

edit - going to try and do only the SP1 update and see if that changes anything
Might be time for a repair install or clean install

Reaction score
Thats what im hoping to not have to do xD The update failed. It has an error message so im following the steps that they have posted for it. For those curious the error message is "Error: ERROR_INSTALL_FAILURE(0X80070643)

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Try this. It may sound offbeat but is a major reason for update failure.
Open Programs and features and click any net framework item you may find there. Select "Repair". It will take a while. Reboot and try some of the updates one by one.

Reaction score
It would appear that this might have been of my own doing. It's been so long since ive updated that i think my updater is erroring on account of multiple "creation dates" installing at one time. So far I can install them one by one just fine, minus my SP1 update, which I haven't tried since i repaired my .net framework. So i'll set that to go when i go to bed on account of how long it takes to process.

EDIT - It would seem that I am having to restore my primary windows files to factory defaults after every update to get my windows update to open. If I dont restore it just sits there "processing" for eternity..... Im not sure if it's eating my updates when I do that either.....

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well I have since bit the bullet and reformatted my laptop. 100+ updates and all have installed correctly. The only update I havent installed is SP1. I've heard horror stories about this update so here goes nothing....... Calling this closed even though a reformat seems to be the only fix

zigzag3143

Wanikiya
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Well I have since bit the bullet and reformatted my laptop. 100+ updates and all have installed correctly. The only update I havent installed is SP1. I've heard horror stories about this update so here goes nothing....... Calling this closed even though a reformat seems to be the only fix
might want to run update readiness tool

Ensure you install the correct 64 or 32bit option for your system)

Download the System Update Readiness Tool (64bit)
Download the System Update Readiness Tool (32bit)

ISC Diary | Windows 7 / 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 Problems

links courtesy jmh

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score

Ask a Question