SOLVED Unable to delete a folder

Reaction score
Although I am the administrator of this machine, I am unable to delete a folder from my Start Menu. If I right-click on the folder, "Delete" and "Rename" have a blue and yellow shield next to them. If I hit delete it says I need permission from myself to delete that folder. If I go to Properties/Security I note that there are no permissions active. When attempting to change the permissions, I am unable to check any of the boxes. How weird is that?? Above the edit button it says "No groups or users have permission to access this object. However, the owner of this object can assign permissions"

I am the owner of this object, yet I cannot assign permissions. Can anyone help??

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I've seen this on my Start Menu but if I just Delete and OK the Permissions message it'll usually still let me delete the folder. Sometimes I will have to delete the items in the folder before the folder will allow deletion, do try both.

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to read my thread. Needless to say, I have tried everything to delete the folder (which was empty already)

Last edited:

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
From the following : http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...ership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/

Add "Take Ownership" to Explorer Right-Click Menu in Win 7 or Vista

Taking ownership of system files or folders in Windows 7 or Vista is not a simple task. Whether you use the GUI or the command line, it takes far too many steps.
Thankfully somebody created a registry hack that will give you a menu item for “Take Ownership” that will handle all the steps for you...

There is a link there for this "hack". I've used it myself when all else failed. Please do a registry backup before making any changes just in case.

Ask a Question