unable to backup

Reaction score
Hi,
I am trying to back up my computer.
I attached external hard disk .when I open "My computer" I can see the content of the external hard disk,
but when I try to backup windows tell me that the drive is not connected.
What can I do?
Thanks,
Gila.

Reaction score
Hello,

Posting so that it may help others.

Do you have any third party backup tools installed on the computer?
If yes, then try uninstalling the tool and then check if it helps.
If you have any external devices connected try unplugging all the devices, connect the hard drive and then check if it helps.
Try disabling security software and check if that helps.
All the best.

Reaction score
Hello Gila,

Here is another option, first copy everything from the external HDD to your desktop computer. Format the drive and transfer everything back to external HDD, try with Windows back process this might work. While going through this make sure you disable security software.

This question is for Edwin.
What is this site all about: https://www.cloudappsportal.com

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Gila, attach your eternal drive and type diskmgmt.msc in the W7 search. Click on the entry found and then post a screenshot. I believe your external drive is connected (the screenshot will let me know for sure) but is simply formatted or of a size W7 backup cannot use.

Most external drives come with their own software or you can download free alternatives for backing up or even cloning (not just a backup of data but an exact copy) your HD. See the Backup & Recovery section in our Freeware DB.

These alternatives are often a better option than the W7 backup.

Reaction score
Hi Gila
Maybe you can enter disk management of W7 to format the external hard drive first. Most hard drives need to be formatted before you use it. The access to disk management: right click Computer, select Manage, click Disk Management under Storage.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Since Gila said the computer can "see" the contents of the HD it is formatted. However it may be in a format W7 Backup cannot use or it could be a large external HD which W7 Backup also cannot use. I would prefer to see the results of a diskmgmt screenshot before any reformatting is done.

Ask a Question