SOLVED Trusted Locations

Reaction score
I know that I can edit Trusted Locations from within Office 2010 applications, but is there a way to do this on a Win 7 PC without Office 2010 (eg XP)?

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
but is there a way to do this on a Win 7 PC without Office 2010 (eg XP)?
On a Windows 7 PC, but you mention XP? I'm a little confused as to what you're asking too. Is this for file properties?

You can use the takeown command line in cmd to take ownership of a file, then you can change the owner to you're user account as administrator, from which you can then edit the permissions for every "group".

Code:
takeown /f "FILEPATH HERE"
Just remember to always use quotes when you're dealing with filepaths in cmd. It's only important when there's a space in the filepath because it will separate that and define it as a filepath, and a parameter afterwards, but it's just a good habit to avoid that trouble.

Reaction score
The PC in question has Office XP (not Office 2010) and Windows 7.
I want to edit Trusted Locations.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Not sure if it would lead to the same path, Bob, but IE - Tools - Internet Options - Security tab - trusted Sites. Click "Sites"
You can add or delete. But that is probably only for IE not general Internet use?

Reaction score
Thanks Dave, but it's not an internet issue. I want to permit users to access an MS Access database (2002 version) from which a it'might' be blocked. If Office 2010 is installed, the Trusted Locations can be added. If not, then I hoped there might be an option under Windows 7 security model.
But perhaps the concept of Trusted Locations only applies to Office 2010 files, and I'm barking up a wrong tree (again).

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The PC in question has Office XP (not Office 2010) and Windows 7.
I want to edit Trusted Locations.
Since trusted locations didn't exist prior to Office 2007 it would have no effect. Older office products will simply allow it because it has no functionality to disallow; basically it's trusted location is ANYWHERE.

Note: Ace's answer above is for file permissions, which they would need access to the location, of course, but is not specific to Office's "Trusted Locations".

Ask a Question