Trouble with HP Scanjet 7800

Reaction score
I am running W7 on a 64bit Thinkpad 64. I am having trouble running Hewlett Packard scanning software for the HP Scanjet 7800. When I initially start the HP scanning software, it works fine for the first scan or so. However, if I close the HP scanning program and restart it, it does not work. The HP scanning sofetware installed is from the HP website for W7 64bit. HP helpdesk cannot solve the issue.

The same HP scanning software works perfectly well on on my other Thinkpad which runs Vista 32 bit.

Does anyone have any ideas of what might cause this issue ?

Thank you.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Reaction score
Hi TrainableMan, Thank you so much for those links. I will let you know how I go.

Reaction score
Hi TrainableMan,

I installed the SW from the above links and am still having the same problems. I will try it without the Kofax program....

Regards
Hektor

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Those are the latest drivers from their website. At the top of pages there is a "contact us" link for HP and the only other thing I would suggest is tell them and see if they have any ideas.

Reaction score
The Basic Driver supports Windows x64. I would uninstall all drivers, unplug the printer, then run the basic driver installer, plug in the printer when it asks you too, then reboot. Then try and scan. If the basic driver works, try the other software one by one.

Reaction score
Hi TrainableMan, thank you for that. I have on about three occasions spent hours with the HP support staff trying to resolve my problem but to no avail :(.

Reaction score
Hi Cypress,

Thank you for you reply. As there are 4 bits of software/drivers from the HP website (Basic 7800, EMC 7800, SDSS and then the Kofax VRS), which one do you mean ?

Also, the printer I am using is a network printer - do you think I should uninstall it or just disconnect the data-cable ?

Regards
Hektor

Reaction score
Uninstall everything like I mentioned, then only install the basic driver. Connect it once you run the installer via USB only to see if the driver works, then you can try networking.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The Twain driver would be needed for scanning. The basic scanjet is likely the printer driver. These are likely required for the associated function.

Kofax VirtualReScan apparently applies math to improve the scan image. HP smart document scan allows you to create profiles to quickly classify & store the images. These you could likely do without (uninstall) for testing the root cause.

I would also suggest running process explorer in a window as you test, to watch for other processes (programs) that may be running. See the w7forums recommended freeware for process explorer.

Ask a Question