Transfering HD from Intel PC to AMD PC

Reaction score
I'm considering swapping Dell PCs with my son. He has a Dell Optiplex 360 with an Intel Core2 Dual 64-bit PC and I have a Inspiron 570 with an AMD Athlon II x2 64-bit PC.
I read on a computer help site that it's not possible to transfer a HD from an AMD PC to an Intel PC and vice versa. Have any of you heard of this procedure working or performed it yourself.

Reaction score
Transferring drives from one PC is done all the time. However is may require a fresh install or system restore to correct driver issues that may arise, simply by swapping drives. If it is not an OS drive then there is nothing to worry about. And if the PC came with a system recovery partition, you would probably need to keep this partition with its own PC. It wouldn't be easy to tell if the system recovery partition was designed for both models.

Long story short, if I was to switch drive, I would do a system recovery for both machines afterward. This would also mean the system recovery partition would be switched on both drives, to insure compatibility with the machine.

Ask a Question