Todays Rant. Flat pack furniture.

Reaction score
Wanted to get a new computer desk to replace my 10yo old one which whilst still giving good service was getting badly marked. I remember i hunted for ages to find that one.

Anyway, after hunting about for weeks finally found a desk in the style I wanted. not cheap in price but still flat pack self assembly.

It's rubbish, I've spent all afternoon just getting it solid. The thing is there are no choices anywhere, it's the same sort of thing you find no matter where you go.

Reaction score
I know exactly what you are saying. Unfortunately, thats the way of the future. Cheap and Expensive, cheap materials at a price no one can afford.

Reaction score
Makes me so wild. Had to do the same with the new BBQ we bought last year.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Perhaps I'm the odd one out here, I love nothing better than assembling things like this :lol:. Although, it can be annoying when one component has been left out of the package and you don't realise until it's almost assembled!

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I'm another odd one because I love to assemble stuff. My only beef is the horrible instructions in engrish...."go put side left top bottom part B" ... huh?!?

Reaction score
You misunderstand, it's not the assembling that's the issue. It's the crap quality of everything and how it's held together. I spend more time making it so it will last then just putting it together. It's $100 quality at a $200+ price. And everything is like that and there's no choices.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You misunderstand, it's not the assembling that's the issue. It's the crap quality of everything and how it's held together. I spend more time making it so it will last then just putting it together. It's $100 quality at a $200+ price. And everything is like that and there's no choices.
Ah yes, I know what you mean there! I bought a computer desk for about the same price and the quality isn't great - it does the job, but it's not going to last the long haul. The computer chair is even worse :eek:.

Reaction score
Yep, agreed, so hard to find quality chairs as well. For computer work anyway.
There is simply not the choices available, different stores may stock different styles of desks or chairs but the quality is pretty much the same.

Nothing is real wood anymore, it's all that composit chipboard/particle board stuff. This desk I got had some damage where one of those turn to lock keys fitted in, I built it up with glue and filler but as the material is composite, it simply pulled out again on another layer like an onion skin.

Last edited:

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
My desk shakes as if we are having an earthquake, when the printer runs.:)

Reaction score
hehe.My original one, the one I'm trying to replace now. Is very solid, even back when I bought that it was flat pack design but much heavier/better material with more fastening points.
But it was looking old and dated and as it's in the lounge and we are getting a new lounge suite I was told I had to modernise a bit.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
we are getting a new lounge suite I was told I had to modernise a bit.
Amazing the things us men will do when the "better half" suggests it's time to modernize. It's best to go along with them since they do hold the power of "yes and no". LOL!

Reaction score
Yep, and as she wanted it she cannot complain if it lasts half as long as the old one.
Gotta say though does look much cleaner in design.

Reaction score
i bought my computer desk for $5 it's a flat pack and my 2 big heavy crt's are making it sag really bad.. lol

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
For some odd reason, my newest computer desk is rock solid, I didn't need to add extra bracing bits like I had to do with my stereo rack (I totally understand where you are coming from on price/vs/build there).

This desk is is a laminated pressboard but very heavy and the legs and bracing parts are all metal tubes. My only beef is they cut out a hole on one side for wires and stuff to go through that I never use.

Reaction score
For some odd reason, my newest computer desk is rock solid, I didn't need to add extra bracing bits like I had to do with my stereo rack (I totally understand where you are coming from on price/vs/build there).

This desk is is a laminated pressboard but very heavy and the legs and bracing parts are all metal tubes. My only beef is they cut out a hole on one side for wires and stuff to go through that I never use.

That sounds more like how my old one was built. No metal in it but heavier particle board and much better braced.

Ask a Question