"There Is No Disk In Removable Disk" error

Reaction score
I googled this error and NOTHING came up!!! different error messages came up though but none that said "There is no disk in removable disk"

this happened when I removed my Sansa Fuse + MP3 Player from my computer so I can listen to it!!! then that error came up and it doesn't matter if I hit 'cancel' 'try again' or 'continue' the error keeps popping up!!! my Sansa Fuse + still shows up as a conntected portable device in 'My Computer' even though I removed it!!! and the error continues even after I plug the device back into the same USB!!!

I NEVER had this issue before and it just won't stop! any help???

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It happens to me all the time if I plug in my Nikon cameras memory card. Just do a normal shut down>restart; it should be gone when you log back in.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Also, if you leave "My Computer" with that removable device as the last one selected, you can get this error. So I try to make it a habit of selecting a fixed (hard) drive after messing with my camera or MP3 player and before exiting My Computer.

Reaction score
in task bar theres a icon to safely eject any device you plug in, just right click on it and click safe to remove device, you shouldnt get any errors that way.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
in task bar theres a icon to safely eject any device you plug in, just right click on it and click safe to remove device, you shouldnt get any errors that way.
It is a good idea to do this before you remove any flash drive/SD card/etc. However, in some cases, like my camera memory card, and likely in this OPs case, it will not solve the problem.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
That depends on the "Policy" settings for that device, and if it has been changed from the default or not. By default, you do NOT need to click that icon.

If the policy is set to "Quick removal (default)", write caching is disabled so any data written to the device is immediately written (saved) so you CAN safely remove the device WITHOUT using the Safely Remove Hardware notification icon.

If set to "Better performance", write caching is enabled (meaning data is NOT automatically saved to disk on writes) so you MUST USE the Safely Remove Hardware icon to force the "write", after which you can remove the device.

Ask a Question