SOLVED System trying to load Esopjafo.dat file on startup (Windows 7)

Reaction score
I had some malware on my laptop (Windows 7 Home Premium) which I removed. I also stopped some things like Skype loading automatically. But when I do a start up the system is trying to load the following file - c:\program data\EsopInfo\Esopjafo.dat. I've no idea what this is and can't find any references on the web. Nor can I find anything in system startup to prevent this happening. Has anyone else come across this problem ?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I have never heard of Esopjafo.dat but it definitely sounds suspicions and is likely part of the viruses self protection to attempt to reload itself.

First off, have you looked in the hidden system folder "programdata" to make sure the EsopInfo folder is gone? The specific file is likely gone which would explain the error you get but I would make sure the folder isn't there as well. This won't solve the error message, this is directed at helping make sure the malware doesn't re-inflict itself.

If you happen to use CCleaner, I recommend you open it and go to the Tools Tab and click on Startup. See if it is showing in the Windows Tab and if so, click on it and choose Delete.

Or if you use AutoRuns you can click on the Everything tab and try to find Esopjafo there and delete it.

Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestions. I looked again in startup and found it was hiding in a Microsoft startup item. I disabled it and deleted the entry from the Registry.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
That's good. I have marked this thread as solved.

Ask a Question